• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Just ordered a service grade from CMP.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for it.
    Like I said, only 13 days from when I placed the order to it arriving at my door. Those 13 days included the Thanksgiving holiday.
    Hope you get a nice one.

DirtyHarry45

Jun 8, 2013
    Does anyone have any input on the difference between ‘field grade’ and ‘service grade’ CMP M1’s? I know that it’s a $100 difference and I also know that most of the time it’s the luck of the draw of what you get but I am gravitating towards the field grade rifle just because of the price. I’ve done some research and it seems that CMP is the way to go for purchasing your first M1 but I am just having trouble figuring out if it’s worth spending an additional $100 on a service grade.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't know what they are pumping out now a days but the Field grades I saw 2 years ago, glad I got a Service grade. If you want it to be more accurate, Spend the $100. The muzzle/throat will be better.
    I orderd 2 and one was Korean era and the other WWII era. Maybe a field grade gets you better odds for WWII era but don't know for sure.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Does anyone have any input on the difference between ‘field grade’ and ‘service grade’ CMP M1’s? I know that it’s a $100 difference and I also know that most of the time it’s the luck of the draw of what you get but I am gravitating towards the field grade rifle just because of the price. I’ve done some research and it seems that CMP is the way to go for purchasing your first M1 but I am just having trouble figuring out if it’s worth spending an additional $100 on a service grade.

Here.
    FIELD GRADE: (FAIR TO GOOD)

Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; may have pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

SERVICE GRADE: (GOOD TO VERY GOOD)

Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

That being said I received a service grade I call the ugly duckling. I'm cleaning it it's a late model 5.4 million probably one of the last ones made. I'll post pictures as soon as I Tung Oil the stock which looks like it's been through 4 wars complete with bayonet hacks. I decided to keep it as is. T=3 M=1. My first was pristine but then I paid 174 dollars for it in 84. Go the extra 100 bucks.

DirtyHarry45

Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks for the input; sounds like the service grade is the way to go. I tried searching older posts to see if anyone posted anything about field grade M1’s but I couldn’t find anything. So I’m assuming that people aren’t even messing with the field grade rifles.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I was lucky to be at Harrisburg for the only time that the CMP took their show on the road. They brought tables upon tables of all grades of Garands. Saved me a trip to Ohio or a roll of the dice at that time. You picked out what you wanted, they tagged it for you and then shipped when paperwork cleared. So I got to see lots of stuff. Had the intent of saving a few dollars but quickly settled on a Service Grade as Field Grade was too rough for me. And that was a time when FG sold for $350 and SG for $550. Never regretted the choice.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I guess the stock of M-1's must be running low. I ordered and received a SG a month ago. While not in bad condition, about the same condition that my 2 FG's that I received from CMP 10 years ago. A SG just a few years ago was an near perfect example when you received it, some were almost jaw dropping when you opened the box. The one's I have seen lately are certainly serviceable
    but not the quality they once were. Still the best buy around for value. The nice one's in private hands command a much higher price.
    Hopefully some of the one's still overseas will be returned in the near future to help refill CMP's stock.
    Like I said, still the buy buy around for a Garand.
    Pay the extra $100.

Orlando

I guess the stock of M-1's must be running low. I ordered and received a SG a month ago. While not in bad condition, about the same condition that my 2 FG's that I received from CMP 10 years ago. A SG just a few years ago was an near perfect example when you received it, some were almost jaw dropping when you opened the box. The one's I have seen lately are certainly serviceable
    but not the quality they once were. Still the best buy around for value. The nice one's in private hands command a much higher price.
    Hopefully some of the one's still overseas will be returned in the near future to help refill CMP's stock.
    Like I said, still the buy buy around for a Garand.
    Pay the extra $100.

You just got a Service Grade at the bottom of the grade description. This is why you never expect to get a rifle that someone posts pictures of or one you got previously. You should read the grade description carefully and expect to get exactly that and you will never be dissapointed. If you get something nicer its a bonus

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I'll be making a call to CMP tomorrow. The gas plug was loose and the cylinder lock sits about 10 o'clock requiring to back it down to put the gas plug in. The clip will not load and the safety is a bear to set and release. The bolt is pretty hard to work. It is assembled correctly but hardly what I would consider service grade. Was this even checked out? I wouldn't take this to war except for a bat. It's a 5.6 million serial no.

Orlando

Did you read the manual that came with the rifle? Did you completely strip the rifle down to smallest part, clean and then properly grease it? This is required before shooting the rifle
    Timing of gas lock was never done at arseanls when originally built, tightening of gas screw is not a issue. Rifles are graded on bore condition and overall condition not if a gas screw if tight or not

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I got two M1s from DCM which my father and I bought after doing a fam fire back around 1984. One is a H&R and the other Springfield. Maybe cost about $200 ea. Those were the days!

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Did you read the manual that came with the rifle? Did you completely strip the rifle down to smallest part, clean and then properly grease it? This is required before shooting the rifle

I can assure you, Molonlabe is quite experienced and proficient with a Garand and quite a few other firearms.
    The CMP is simply getting to the end of their current supply.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    I don't know what their numbers are, but just seeing what they're putting out these days and how it compares to the rifles from a few years back would indicate (to me anyway) that they are not exactly awash in quality parts or returned full rifles.
    As I stated, what I received 8-10 years ago as a Field Grade is pretty much what I recently received as a Service Grade, but I've also seen the same from others who made recent purchases from the CMP. Not so long ago some people were receiving some incredibly beautiful Service Grade rifles.
    It's been a while since I've seen that.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    I don't know what their numbers are, but just seeing what they're putting out these days and how it compares to the rifles from a few years back would indicate (to me anyway) that they are not exactly awash in quality parts or returned full rifles.
    As I stated, what I received 8-10 years ago as a Field Grade is pretty much what I recently received as a Service Grade, but I've also seen the same from others who made recent purchases from the CMP. Not so long ago some people were receiving some incredibly beautiful rifles.
    It's been a while since I've seen that.

We've been hearing the same things. I have a friend that did an internship there (before they stopped such things) and he said that it's common for the CMP to break down returned drill rifles, put Criterion barrels on them, and then place them in new production stocks. Personally, I wouldn't even want one of those. It might shoot well, but it has no historical value to it.

Orlando

We've been hearing the same things. I have a friend that did an internship there (before they stopped such things) and he said that it's common for the CMP to break down returned drill rifles, put Criterion barrels on them, and then place them in new production stocks. Personally, I wouldn't even want one of those. It might shoot well, but it has no historical value to it.

those are sold as specials, wont get one unless you order one. CMP has said they have approx 86,000 Garands being returned from the Philippines.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The quality of Garands coming from the CMP have been going down hill for years. It has nothing to do with the CMP. The supply is dwindling now and the pickings are getting mighty slim now. Rifles that I got back in the early 90's were in spectacular shape in comparison to today's inventory. It's simply a matter of supply.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Timing of gas lock was never done at arseanls when originally built, tightening of gas screw is not a issue. Rifles are graded on bore condition and overall condition not if a gas screw if tight or not

Of course I did. This is not my first Garand. Each gas plug is different and can sometimes be fitted to be at 5 o'clock. Sometimes not. The gap between the front handguard is correct two business cards. 10 o clock is excessive even by arsenal standards. I didn't call today as I spent the day in bed. It could be the clip they supplied I call. I want to eliminate that before I have plenty of WWll clips.

Orlando

Of course I did. This is not my first Garand. Each gas plug is different and can sometimes be fitted to be at 5 o'clock. Sometimes not. The gap between the front handguard is correct. 10 is excessive by arsenal standards.

No its not the gas screw but the gas lock. There is no arsenal standard for fitting gas locks. The only locks that were ever fitted were on National Match rifles. On standard garands a lock was picked up out of the pile and installed no matter where it times
    While the rifles may not be as nice as what you have bought before they still fall within the grade description, few people ever read the descriptiion

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    So I should just ignore the safety that's impossible to set and release without two hands, and the bolt that's hard to cock and the clip that will not go in?
    Just what are you saying. That's the definition of a service grade?

And I disagree with your assessment and your zeroing in on one reported problem I listed that may or may not affect the functioning.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-50541.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom