• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Finally got to shoot one with my suppressor attached and boy does it make a difference for my ears afterwords.

Yeah the doe I shot was with my Suppressed Savage Hog Hunter (wow works on deer too!) in .308. First time hunting with it and my youngest son who was in the stand with me remarked what a difference it made. I had too much tunnel vision (or hearing) to notice at the time.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Yeah the doe I shot was with my Suppressed Savage Hog Hunter (wow works on deer too!) in .308. First time hunting with it and my youngest son who was in the stand with me remarked what a difference it made. I had too much tunnel vision (or hearing) to notice at the time.

Same thing here with my son. He commented on how his ears weren't ringing after the shot. Crazy to think that suppressors are so damn regulated :sad20:

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Dorchester about 8:45 this morning

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      123.5 KB · Views: 267

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    It's been pretty rough Doc. The farm around Hurlock yesterday was bad. 14 guys 1 kill and a miss. Farm at maple dam road was the exact same Saturday. I talked to the farmer this morning and a few of his buddies when combining have found a lot of dead deer. He gave the numbers and it was crazy. EHD I would imagine.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Taken Saturday morning

Attachments

• 3BAC5E46-091C-4B14-B5D9-274AA857CDE3.jpg
      3BAC5E46-091C-4B14-B5D9-274AA857CDE3.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 241
    • 40AE0C34-DF89-4657-BB99-8D2F4F257B12.jpg
      40AE0C34-DF89-4657-BB99-8D2F4F257B12.jpg
      226.6 KB · Views: 239

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My 14 yr old grand son started hunting last year.We saw deer on three hunts but no shots were presented.First thing Sat morning we spotted a deer but it was skylined.Here we go again I thought.A little while later two small does came through and after 5 minutes of waiting for a clear shot he shot at one.I could tell it was hit bit it disappeared into the brush.Since i didnt hear it crash,I told him we were going to wait awhile before checking.About 15 mins later,two small bucks were chasing around three small does.He wanted to try for one of the bucks but between bad angles,too much brush in the way and the sun glaring in the scope,he never got a shot.Twice in one day,he held off on iffy shots.

After awhile we went to where he shot at the doe.There was very little blood and I was worried he may have wounded it.We went about 30 yrds with only a speck here and there when my grand son spotted his deer laying dead about 20 yrds away.He hit it in the shoulder and exited at the back of the ribcage.He killed his first deer.

Went out this morning and about an hour after sun rise,3 small does came in behind the stand.After some careful manuvering into position,he took a shot.The way the doe ran off,I couldnt tell if it was hit or not,but after 40 yrds or so,she stopped then collapsed.Number two was in the bag,a perfect heart shot.Needless to say,even though both were small does,he was so happy to get what he did.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My 14 yr old grand son started hunting last year.We saw deer on three hunts but no shots were presented.First thing Sat morning we spotted a deer but it was skylined.Here we go again I thought.A little while later two small does came through and after 5 minutes of waiting for a clear shot he shot at one.I could tell it was hit bit it disappeared into the brush.Since i didnt hear it crash,I told him we were going to wait awhile before checking.About 15 mins later,two small bucks were chasing around three small does.He wanted to try for one of the bucks but between bad angles,too much brush in the way and the sun glaring in the scope,he never got a shot.Twice in one day,he held off on iffy shots.

After awhile we went to where he shot at the doe.There was very little blood and I was worried he may have wounded it.We went about 30 yrds with only a speck here and there when my grand son spotted his deer laying dead about 20 yrds away.He hit it in the shoulder and exited at the back of the ribcage.He killed his first deer.

Went out this morning and about an hour after sun rise,3 small does came in behind the stand.After some careful manuvering into position,he took a shot.The way the doe ran off,I couldnt tell if it was hit or not,but after 40 yrds or so,she stopped then collapsed.Number two was in the bag,a perfect heart shot.Needless to say,even though both were small does,he was so happy to get what he did.

That's awesome! Congrats to you and the new hunter. I'm hoping to get my oldest out for the Jan gun season. This wknd is girls trip w mom and I lost out when I told her we could hunt instead.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Excellent weekend for a new hunter! Congrats on getting the deer and teaching him good judgement.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I took a spike buck in Montgomery County, MD on Wednesday (crossbow) and a spike buck in Augusta County, VA on Saturday (rifle). Killing young bucks isn't exactly a policy and in the future I'll probably pass on them most of the time...but the Montgomery County one was the first time I had a deer come into my zone on a new property that I've been scouting after getting access to it for the first time late last year. I hunted it 8 times this year and this was my first shot, so I took it. And the VA one was also the first time I had a chance to take a deer after six multi-day trips over the past six years. Hunting deer in the mountains is a great challenge.

That makes three deer for me this season (I got a doe with my crossbow on opening weekend in September) so I'm very satisfied and my freezer/refrigerator are maxed out. I love venison and so does my family, so that's a good problem to have! I might go out a few more times but will only take a mature buck at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2240[1].jpg
      IMG_2240[1].jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 228
    • IMG_7963.jpg
      IMG_7963.jpg
      138.2 KB · Views: 234

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I took a spike buck in Montgomery County, MD on Wednesday (crossbow) and a spike buck in Augusta County, VA on Saturday (rifle). Killing young bucks isn't exactly a policy and in the future I'll probably pass on them most of the time...but the Montgomery County one was the first time I had a deer come into my zone on a new property that I've been scouting after getting access to it for the first time late last year. I hunted it 8 times this year and this was my first shot, so I took it. And the VA one was also the first time I had a chance to take a deer after six multi-day trips over the past six years. Hunting deer in the mountains is a great challenge.

That makes three deer for me this season (I got a doe with my crossbow on opening weekend in September) so I'm very satisfied and my freezer/refrigerator are maxed out. I love venison and so does my family, so that's a good problem to have! I might go out a few more times but will only take a mature buck at this point.

I know the feeling. I am probably headed back to Nanticoke this January for the 3 attempt. I’d take a trigger squirrel if it presented a shot at this point. I’ve had plenty of success elsewhere. The deer are there. I’ve seen them. Just haven’t had a success there for a variety of reasons.

I really want a Sika. A WT would be fine too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I took a spike buck in Montgomery County, MD on Wednesday (crossbow) and a spike buck in Augusta County, VA on Saturday (rifle). Killing young bucks isn't exactly a policy and in the future I'll probably pass on them most of the time...

Your days will come. Get'm while you can. Fill your freezers. Then fill your walls. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom