• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    The more I learn about P.38's the more I realize there's always another weird variation to look for :)
    Some are so obscure they often get passed over, even by the pro's.
    Makes it both interesting and frustrating.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not exactly a firearm but just got two polish flare launchers from Apex. A 1965 and a 1966. Both are in excellent shape (labeled good by Apex) with a little browning from storage. With the Eastern Block flare launchers drying up I figured I might as well snag a couple. Most vendors have bumped these up to $110 or $120 if they have them. $79 each plus shipping (about another $7.50 each).

https://www.apexgunparts.com/polish-flare-gun-soviet-era-26-5mm-blued-steel.html

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Not exactly a firearm but just got two polish flare launchers from Apex. A 1965 and a 1966. Both are in excellent shape (labeled good by Apex) with a little browning from storage. With the Eastern Block flare launchers drying up I figured I might as well snag a couple. Most vendors have bumped these up to $110 or $120 if they have them. $79 each plus shipping (about another $7.50 each).

https://www.apexgunparts.com/polish-flare-gun-soviet-era-26-5mm-blued-steel.html

I got one of those a little while back...mine looked unissued. Got it along with one of these, which did not look unissued, but was still in pretty nice shape.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I got one of those a little while back...mine looked unissued. Got it along with one of these, which did not look unissued, but was still in pretty nice shape.

Ya I cant find any evidence of firing, it doesn't take too many flares to leave marks in the bore (maybe 1). Some browning and a nick or two, otherwise perfect. Don't really need it but they are creeping up in price so I got one to put back and one to tinker with.

How does the pellet pistol run? Almost ordered one for kicks and giggles (maybe basement shooting).

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

would love to have one but i am soo broke right now.:rolleyes:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Cool, I like the 26.5mm flare guns. I was buying a lot of them for awhile but haven’t purchased one in years. Almost got a Russian Izzy at the HoCo show for $125 but decided to pass.

One year I bought 3 Hk flare guns for $60 each. Sold one of them on GunRaper for $200

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    How does the pellet pistol run? Almost ordered one for kicks and giggles (maybe basement shooting).

It's actually got a surprising amount of oomph to it. No chronograph, but it's enough to easily through-and-through a pepsi can at 10 ft. When I got it, the leather seal on the chamber was a little dry, but a spritz of ballistol and a dab of bear grease put it right back into shape.

atomix8

Nov 3, 2015
    Davidsonville
    It's actually got a surprising amount of oomph to it. No chronograph, but it's enough to easily through-and-through a pepsi can at 10 ft. When I got it, the leather seal on the chamber was a little dry, but a spritz of ballistol and a dab of bear grease put it right back into shape.

Haha, this thread adds another item to my 'gotta buy' list...

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Victory Arms posted a Hakim that looks to have had the stock refinished (otherwise appears to be in good/very good condition) tonight for $600, so I took a risk on it. A shooter (or better) quality Ljungman or Hakim has been on my bucket list for about three years now, and I don't think I am going to find one for less. So far Victory has been really great to work with. To the point that they PMed me on Facebook after I told them I bought it to share more photos and details about the rifle with me. I'm skittish about buying old semi autos sight unseen, but this seemed like a great opportunity. Hope I don't regret it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Victory Arms posted a Hakim that looks to have had the stock refinished (otherwise appears to be in good/very good condition) tonight for $600, so I took a risk on it. A shooter (or better) quality Ljungman or Hakim has been on my bucket list for about three years now, and I don't think I am going to find one for less. So far Victory has been really great to work with. To the point that they PMed me on Facebook after I told them I bought it to share more photos and details about the rifle with me. I'm skittish about buying old semi autos sight unseen, but this seemed like a great opportunity. Hope I don't regret it.

Good luck. I have waffled on one I picked up a couple years ago, stock is a little rough but metal is great and it isn't sanded like most of the pristine ones you find.

Make sure you get the gas adjustment tool.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Good luck. I have waffled on one I picked up a couple years ago, stock is a little rough but metal is great and it isn't sanded like most of the pristine ones you find.

Make sure you get the gas adjustment tool.
    Thanks. Victory was up front about the condition of the rifle, obviously. An unmolested stock in good shape would have jacked the price up. I would love a completely authentic example, but not enough to pay GunBroker prices or spend years trying to track one down for a good deal. I've already seen Ljungman prices rocket out of reach for me, so I decided to bite on this.

I need to track a gas adjustment tool down. To be honest I don't own any rifles chambered in 8mm mauser and I don't have space/time to roll my own, so I need to track ammo down, too. That looks to be PPU and Romanian 170gr steel cased stuff, barring any MDS folk selling off their surplus gun food. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot the Romanian stuff without issue. The price is right as long as it runs safely and is reasonably accurate.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Thanks. Victory was up front about the condition of the rifle, obviously. An unmolested stock in good shape would have jacked the price up. I would love a completely authentic example, but not enough to pay GunBroker prices or spend years trying to track one down for a good deal. I've already seen Ljungman prices rocket out of reach for me, so I decided to bite on this.

I need to track a gas adjustment tool down. To be honest I don't own any rifles chambered in 8mm mauser and I don't have space/time to roll my own, so I need to track ammo down, too. That looks to be PPU and Romanian 170gr steel cased stuff, barring any MDS folk selling off their surplus gun food. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot the Romanian stuff without issue. The price is right as long as it runs safely and is reasonably accurate.

The gas valve on mine was stuck and I completely broke one of the brass gas adjustment tools the guy on Ebay sells. I ended up finding a guy making steel ones. They aren't a T-Handle style like the brass one, they are basically a big nut so you have to use a wrench with them, but that one finally got mine to turn after filling the gas tube up with Kroil and letting it soak for a week. Hopefully yours isn't that bad.

But I did notice on IV8888's Hakim video, he has the brass tool and I could see in the video his tool is already starting to break. It basically mushrooms the thin area around the machined portion that goes over the pie-shaped gas valve.

I just checked and can't find any of the steel ones and I forget where I got mine.

Even after cutting a piece of rubber and putting it over the brass deflector, my Hakim really beats up brass. I do reload for it, but it's incredibly hard on brass and the chamber is really generous so the brass grows a ton with each firing.

I usually use the steel cased Romanian stuff (both the commercial and surplus corrosive). That stuff runs fine. Even the problematic Romanian 8mm commercial Sportsmansguide was selling runs fine in my Hakim. Lots of people couldn't even get that stuff to chamber in Mauser bolt action rifles, but the Hakim seems very generous in the chamber. I have seen case head separation starting after just a couple firings with brass reloads. It does pass a 8mm Field gauge test, however.

Start with lowest gas setting and work up until it cycles reliably. If you start too high, it can rip the rims right off the case.

Very fun rifles to shoot. Mine was a pawn shop rescue and had been Bubba'd so it needed some work. Hopefully yours will be good to go.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Picked up the Hakim today. The stock, despite clearly being sanded and shellacked, is really nice looking. The metal all looks to be in good shape, with an honest amount of wear. Really looking forward to some range time with it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not C&R but my obsession with signaling devices continues. Got his from our friends at Engage for a really solid deal.

Now need to get some smoky and sparkly stuff to shoot out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_9928.jpg
      IMG_9928.jpg
      103.6 KB · Views: 290

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The gas valve on mine was stuck and I completely broke one of the brass gas adjustment tools the guy on Ebay sells. I ended up finding a guy making steel ones. They aren't a T-Handle style like the brass one, they are basically a big nut so you have to use a wrench with them, but that one finally got mine to turn after filling the gas tube up with Kroil and letting it soak for a week. Hopefully yours isn't that bad.

But I did notice on IV8888's Hakim video, he has the brass tool and I could see in the video his tool is already starting to break. It basically mushrooms the thin area around the machined portion that goes over the pie-shaped gas valve.

I just checked and can't find any of the steel ones and I forget where I got mine.

Even after cutting a piece of rubber and putting it over the brass deflector, my Hakim really beats up brass. I do reload for it, but it's incredibly hard on brass and the chamber is really generous so the brass grows a ton with each firing.

I usually use the steel cased Romanian stuff (both the commercial and surplus corrosive). That stuff runs fine. Even the problematic Romanian 8mm commercial Sportsmansguide was selling runs fine in my Hakim. Lots of people couldn't even get that stuff to chamber in Mauser bolt action rifles, but the Hakim seems very generous in the chamber. I have seen case head separation starting after just a couple firings with brass reloads. It does pass a 8mm Field gauge test, however.

Start with lowest gas setting and work up until it cycles reliably. If you start too high, it can rip the rims right off the case.

Very fun rifles to shoot. Mine was a pawn shop rescue and had been Bubba'd so it needed some work. Hopefully yours will be good to go.

Enjoy

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    In case anyone was wondering, my Hakim works beautifully. Was smacking steel out to 300 yards with it yesterday at Delmarva Sporting Clays. The Romanian steel cased stuff cycles great. The front sight needs to be adjusted a bit as it tends to shoot a bit right at distance, but otherwise it is perfect. Love it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    In case anyone was wondering, my Hakim works beautifully. Was smacking steel out to 300 yards with it yesterday at Delmarva Sporting Clays. The Romanian steel cased stuff cycles great. The front sight needs to be adjusted a bit as it tends to shoot a bit right at distance, but otherwise it is perfect. Love it.

Trust you still have your thumbs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom