• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Just purchased a Model 1887 Springfield Trap-Door. Paid way to much, but just had to have it. From what I understand, shooting modern 45-70 amo is not a good choice. On the other hand, anyone have experience shooting Cowboy loads?

The gun came with a pig sticker, but no frog. Prices on GB seem exceptionally high and for the most part junk.

Any thoughts on the subject?.

Pictures to follow at some point.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Most of the ammo you would find, at lets say Walmart would be fine to shot from your gun. Most boxes are marked “ safe for all guns in 45-70, or “safe for use in trapdoors”. Cowboy loads, should be find, but check with the manufacturer first before firing them.
    If you don’t already, Reloading and even casting your own bullets for you trapdoor, is the best way. Factory ammunition for 45/70 is not cheap. If you are casting you own bullets, and reloading yourself, the cost goes down significantly.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    1884 trapdoor with an 1887 mfg date?

Yes, Lets see her. Let me find the Trapdoor thread.

I picked up 20 rounds at the antique show (next one coming up in mid March). They were full Gov loads. A buddy of mine I went to his house and we split a 100 pack of cases and we loaded up light loads with I recall pistol powder.
    The trap doors typically will shoot way high at 50 and 100 so keep that in mind and maybe put 2 targets up, one over the other and shoot at the bottom one first.

Here was the thread where I posted a pic of mine at the end.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=204832

This is THEMAN on Trapdoors. He is who I got mine from at the Antique show. Mine was on the high end at the time but the bore and wood was near mint. The metal was great but had some stains from storage.
    http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    You will LOVE the trapdoor. A very satisfying rifle, and many of them are in good condition for a 120yo rifle. Id stick with cast bullets, there are conflicting rumors if jacketed bullets will cause pre-mature wear. Expect to pay well over $1.50/rnd. However, you can find all the required reloading supplies for pretty cheap. You can find unused quality brass for $.40/rnd. Ive heard reports (rumors)of people reloading the brass a few dozen times, but regardless, reloading will make shooting your new rifle actually affordable.
    Note, some states will allow you to use your Trapdoor as a "primitive hunting weapon" during that season. Some states also allow it to fall under "blackpowder weaponry."

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    You will LOVE the trapdoor. Ive heard reports (rumors)of people reloading the brass a few dozen times, but regardless, reloading will make shooting your new rifle actually affordable.

I’ve never actually counted how many times I’ve reloaded a 45-70 case, but I bet some of my brass has been shot over a dozen times. I only shoot light loads on my trapdoor, it’s easy on the brass.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    The rifling of mine has cleaning rod wear at the muzzle so isn't the most accurate. Light loads are fun, especially since they're fairly light rifles.
    I never got good results with BP substitutes. Unique is position sensitive in the big case so I may try Trail Boss when Spring arrives.
    Mine isn't as perfect as Melnic's, but I think it's purty.

As an aside to this thread, I have an old Numrich made 45 caliber muzzle loader barrel which has the same contours as a Trapdoor barreled action. It's made to fit a Trapdoor stock and bands to turn it into a percussion rifle. I also have an 1863 Springfield hammer that will replace the Trapdoor hammer. I've just never tried it in all the years it has sat in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom