• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Going to make a move on a centerfire pistol suppressor and don't really have much experience here. Going to go with a .45 can so I can use it on a couple of different platforms.

I'm OK with the "buy once/cry once" philosophy and willing to pay more to get more but need to understand why I'm paying more.

Looks like the Octane is the current crowd favorite, but what's up with the different pistons, mounts, etc?

https://silencerco.com/products/octane/

I take it this is not as simple as screwing the suppressor on to a threaded barrel?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    The piston is the part that screws onto the barrel. You switch them out for different guns that have different thread sizes on the barrel. The spacer is used for guns that don't have a moving barrel such as carbines and revolvers

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The piston is the part that screws onto the barrel. You switch them out for different guns that have different thread sizes on the barrel. The spacer is used for guns that don't have a moving barrel such as carbines and revolvers

So, I would need a .45 piston and a 9mm piston if those were to be the hosts, but if not using the suppressor for anything other than semi-auto handguns I would not need a spacer.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    So, I would need a .45 piston and a 9mm piston if those were to be the hosts, but if not using the suppressor for anything other than semi-auto handguns I would not need a spacer.

Correct on the spacer, pistons are not caliber specific, different manufacturers use different thread sizes on barrels so you need one for each thread size you have.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Correct on the spacer, pistons are not caliber specific, different manufacturers use different thread sizes on barrels so you need one for each thread size you have.

ah....so if both hosts use the same threading, I will only need one piston. Even better.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I have an octane 9 and love it. I have a tirant 45 as well. Both great suppressors but the octane is easier to service. Good luck finding a can in this market.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ah....so if both hosts use the same threading, I will only need one piston. Even better.

Good luck with that. Heck, even the same manufacturer in the same caliber, different models may have different threads. :)

I like the Freedom Arms suppressor. I have been eyeing them for a while, and need to pull the trigger soon.

It is rated up to .458 SOCOM (semi auto), so has just on rifles also (but means I need to make a .458 SOCOM SBR :D).

Gemtech also has a nice one to save some money, but not as good of suppression as the Freedom Arms.

Pop up to Duffy's and talk to Vince. Bring money, LOTS of money. :lol2:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Been wondering this question for a while. If you form 1, build, your suppressor can you just buy the piston or do you have to file for that as well? If anyone can answer, please, thank you.

The tube is the serialize part, hence registered. You can have as many pistons, LIDs/boosters as you like. They do not need to be registered.
    That said, you can not have spare baffles as they are considered silencer parts and spare parts like that are not allowed per the ATF.

Norton- Go talk to Nate, Vince, Mark etc.
    The Octane is a good choice. I have 9 and like it. There is also the Osprey if you want to stick with SiCo. If you really want to cry once, take a look at the new Hybrid.
    If you plan on shooting 22, consider a dedicated can for that. 22 is really dirty and will junk up a centerfire can.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

Correct, but you are not likely to find a 45 barrel and a 9 mm barrel with the same threading. Having different pistons and thread adaptors is SOP when you get into suppressors.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Griffin Revolution 45 is basically the same can as the Octane with several improvements. The baffles are basically the same shape, they both use Silencerco pistons. The main difference is the Revo is modular so you can unscrew a couple baffles and make a shorter suppressor.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    i just bought a Silencerco Osprey 45 yesterday. it does a very good job at quieting down all calibers from 9mm to 45 and the shape of the suppressor makes it easier to use with most handgun sights

Silencerco also has very good customer service and will stand behind evey product they make.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm gonna look for a 45 as well.

Already bought a 9 (still in jail)

It boggles my mind how many options there are. But overall, suppressors are so similar that I have a hard time differentiating, as opposed to guns.

Sid.

Feb 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I enjoy my Osprey 45, though it's not user serviceable so no .22. I've got my eye on the Rugged Suppressors Obsidian 45. It's modular and you can use SiCo pistons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom