• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    When you say "shoot it and see what's up" exactly what are we looking for? Accuracy? Some other behavior?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is 7.62X54 an unpopular or unusual caliber? Was it a hassle to obtain before the pandemic/political mess?
    Unpopular with militaries outside of the former Soviet Union? Absolutely. It's a rimmed cartridge. By the start of WWII the only other major power still using a fully-rimmed cartridge for their main infantry rifle was Great Britain and even then, they were looking to ditch it in the very near future. Even the Japanese had switched to a mix of semi-rimless for the T.38 and rimless for the T.99 by that point.

As every other country out there moved on to rimless ammo for virtually every application that the standard grunt would see, the USSR continued to use the rimmed 7.62x54mmR round for new weapons. While the AK47/M and SKS both used 7.62x39 rimless, and the AK74 5.45x39 rimless, the SVD "Dragunov", PSL54-C, M91, and many other sporting and "sniper" (really, squad marksman) rifles have used it as the main chambering into modern times along with countless machine guns.

That said, there is a ton of surplus ammo available out there, and while the vast majority of it is corrosive, you can also find commercially produced non-corrosive ammo from S&B, PPU, and others.

Some of these rifles are very, very old. How do you assess the condition of the barrel?
    Do people actually shoot the older rifles or do they tend to keep them as collector's pieces?
    Is it sacrilege to replace worn or missing parts on a semi-collectable rifle?

1) A flashlight and/or borescope just like everything else. You can slug it as others have said to find the exact bore diameter to find the proper projectile size to maximize accuracy if handloading.

2) Yep. Mind you, they do kick. Not as bad as 8x56mmR in a Steyr M95/30, but it's not a pleasant rifle to shoot for long durations. So even the non-safe-queens don't get shot all that often. What's the point of a rifle if you can't shoot it and it only collects dust?

3) Not sacrilege so long as you are replacing them with like kind. Keep the originals though, especially with Finn rifles or other rare variants or non-force-matched "all matching" rifles so you can put the original parts back on should you decide to sell later.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Last night, I dipped my toe into the Mosin world. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Throughout my life, I've mainly dealt with US military firearms while I was serving so I'm not up to speed on ammunition types. Is 7.62X54 an unpopular or unusual caliber? Was it a hassle to obtain before the pandemic/political mess?

Some of these rifles are very, very old. How do you assess the condition of the barrel?
    Do people actually shoot the older rifles or do they tend to keep them as collector's pieces?
    Is it sacrilege to replace worn or missing parts on a semi-collectable rifle?

You can still get 7.62x54r new production non corrosive ammo shipped for about $0.60 a round, I shoot quite a bit of it.

As long as there's nothing obviously wrong I wouldn't shy away from shooting them. I have a 1905 Sestroryetsk and 1916 Izhevsk M91 I shoot regularly. Finn rifles built on 1890s receivers too that cause no issue.

If it makes the rifle safe and functional I wouldn't have an issue adding missing or broken parts, unless you found something really rare

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Great info, thanks guys.

Next question: Where in Maryland can I go to shoot this thing?
    We have a farm in the family in Baltimore County where I can go, but I'd also like to know what ranges are available to shoot something like this.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You'll basically be limited to outdoor shooting because of caliber

Elk Neck State Forest range is cheap but busy on weekends

Could join AGC as well they have plenty of clubs

But if you have private land I'd shoot there. Man I wish I had access to such a place

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    It's my wife's cousin's farm. (My cousin-in-law?). I don't expect to have access to it all the time...I could be wrong. Elk Neck is a good backup.

captainstashu

Jan 26, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was not going to ad my two cents to this post because it gets into geezer territory. when I was in high school, I went to a Brooklyn, New York surplus store called Kaufman's. I looked at a barrel of Mosins for $9.90 each. I was persuaded not to buy one because they were commie crap. So instead I bought an 03A3 Springfield for a wopping $21.00!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It's my wife's cousin's farm. (My cousin-in-law?). I don't expect to have access to it all the time...I could be wrong. Elk Neck is a good backup.

Where in MD are you? Many indoor ranges will actually allow you to shoot the new production stuff, but not surplus. Most surplus will be bi-metallic or steel-core which is a no-no for indoor ranges as it screws up their backstops along with other issues. That said, places like The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick has an indoor range that'll handle anything up to and including .50BMG so long as it's not steel core or bi-metallic.

Cresap up in Frederick will allow Mosins on their public access days (Sundays) and in addition to Elk Neck, both Myrtle Grove WMA and Greenridge State Forest both have outdoor ranges IIRC.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Next question: Where in Maryland can I go to shoot this thing?
    We have a farm in the family in Baltimore County where I can go, but I'd also like to know what ranges are available to shoot something like this.

There are also private clubs considerably closer to your location, if you know a member... :innocent0

JoeR

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    @Bertfish has two rifles that I'm interested in- a Peter the Great M91 and an M44.

The PtG is just fascinating from an age and historical standpoint and is somewhat collectible.
    The M44 while common and not so collectible is desirable to me because it's a full foot shorter and more manageable. I would feel less guilty shooting it on a regular basis than the collectible.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Lookee here

Attachments

• 20210201_185337.jpg
      20210201_185337.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics