• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Two female friends, that we taught to shoot, are the Wifey type (even though neither has ever married).

They recounted many times they went to range (separately) and got a LOT of attention (they are both not bad looking). Until they shot, and shot very well. All of sudden, no one wanted to talk to them. :D

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    he's the guy who likes to act like he's "training" by shooting two or three rounds, pulling the pistol back to his chest (barrel still pointed forward) and then do the side-to-side look, like he's insuring that the area is clear. Ok - I get it - I'm sure that this is taught in tactical shooting classes, but is it really necessary at the indoor range?

Train like you fight. That's how my department trains now, and its instinct to me at this point. Shooting in my parents backyard I scan after I shoot.

Unrelated... when did CZ's become cool? I bought a CZ75BD 19 or 20 years ago because it was a quality bargain gun. I didn't know they were a status symbol now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There may be a little bit of most of those guys in all of us(as hard as we try not to be 'that guy at the range').

I mostly hate the sweeper. I ran into a husband teaching his wife. Older couple. The wife constantly swept me, sometimes with the finger on the trigger. I place the entirety of blame on the husband. He was unfit to teach anyone to shoot handguns, especially his wife. :cool:

More than once?

Really.

Once, warn, second time smack.

Or at least tell range officer, range personnel.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I shot a lot of USPSA, a group of use got to be known as brass rats, for scrounging brass.

One of the group's step father owned an embroidery business, so he had shirts made for us. It said The Brass Rats, and had a logo of a couple of pieces of brass in a clump of grass. If I run across one, I will take a picture.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank GAWD I'm none of those guys.

There's another type that I see at the range - similar to Mr. Mag Dump, he's the guy who is also duded out in the latest Tacti-cool duds, but he's the guy who likes to act like he's "training" by shooting two or three rounds, pulling the pistol back to his chest (barrel still pointed forward) and then do the side-to-side look, like he's insuring that the area is clear. Ok - I get it - I'm sure that this is taught in tactical shooting classes, but is it really necessary at the indoor range?
    I do that as part of my daily range routine. My first shot is sent as I am pushing the gun out. Can't do that without practicing a lot.

Only time this is a good technique is when you are someplace where the gun can follow where you are looking(not on a public range).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    More than once?

Really.

Once, warn, second time smack.

Or at least tell range officer, range personnel.
    No range personnel.

I just stepped back and waited for them to finish. I'm not known for being shy to straightening people out on the range, but on this day I decided I'd just wait them out.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Since I can’t do holster draw at most ranges I nearly always start with the pistol back near my chest in one hand, and then put left hand on it, build my grip while pushing out, usually squeezing off the first shot as soon as I have a good sight picture. I had this drilled into my head in a defensive pistol class so it’s just part of how I shoot now. Starting position is where the gun would be right after coming out of the holster if I were actually drawing, so it’s the next best thing. Didn’t realize that was a tacticool move but I’ve never done the side to side thing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No range personnel.

I just stepped back and waited for them to finish. I'm not known for being shy to straightening people out on the range, but on this day I decided I'd just wait them out.

OK.

I had one instance of a situation like that at an indoor range. No ranger personnel in the shooting area. I said something to the lady (she was waving around a revolver with her finger on the trigger). She gave the standard response that it was not loaded. So I asked her to put it to her head and pull the trigger.

She decided it wasn't that unloaded. :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK.

I had one instance of a situation like that at an indoor range. No ranger personnel in the shooting area. I said something to the lady (she was waving around a revolver with her finger on the trigger). She gave the standard response that it was not loaded. So I asked her to put it to her head and pull the trigger.

She decided it wasn't that unloaded. :D
    Lol! That's one way to solve that problem.
    My situation was a bit tamer than that.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    Failed Toilet Training

A man proud of his new AR-15 demonstrated it to those unfortunate enough to be present by dumping his magazine and leaving. I swept up his brass.

JB

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Since I can’t do holster draw at most ranges I nearly always start with the pistol back near my chest in one hand, and then put left hand on it, build my grip while pushing out, usually squeezing off the first shot as soon as I have a good sight picture. I had this drilled into my head in a defensive pistol class so it’s just part of how I shoot now. Starting position is where the gun would be right after coming out of the holster if I were actually drawing, so it’s the next best thing. Didn’t realize that was a tacticool move but I’ve never done the side to side thing.

crazy thing is that now some military units are taking training from 3gun and quick shot experts. no more draw, bring to chest, extend, shoot while extending on target. they're training to draw, shoot from hip, extend from hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom