• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm an NRA and MD handgun instructor and CRSO. I've hit some legal trouble with Harford County that I thought would affect others in Harford County.

I (used to) teach classes out of my garage on my 6 acre agricultural zoned property in county-land Bel Air. I have a trade name and such, but was unaware that zoning required money and approval for a "home business". I received a C&D from Zoning Enforcement after they found my Facebook page.

I've been attempting to go through the process of getting zoned to run a home based business. They first complained that I didn't have enough parking spaces, and have now told me blanket "does not meet the requirements of Section 267-27D(4)" but I have not gotten them to elaborate further. I can not afford to fight this in court. I only do this on the side to fund my own training.

In my last-ditch effort at still teaching I asked zoning if I could teach the classes for free - clearly not a business - as a "thank you" for people donating to the church I attend. I receive no money from the church.

I was then informed "Regarding your current inquiry, the code not differentiate between profit and non-profit businesses in the requirements for a Home Occupation." which I believe implies that Harford County Zoning considers any classes taught out of the home to be a business, even if free.

This clearly affects firearm instructors in Harford County, but based on the explanation that I was given, it means that all home educators (music teachers, etc) need to get zoned for a "home business". I presume this also affects all Hunters Education instructors.

I'm not sure what to do next other than go to County Council meetings every month and ask for clarification / reversal.

If this zoning decision affects you or someone you know, could you perhaps call Harford County Zoning this week and let them know that this is a dramatic and over-broad interpretation of the law? Perhaps contact me (my username here (at) gmail.com) and maybe come to County Council meetings?

WildBill

May 7, 2017
    It looks like there is a process to submit your application to a board of appeals but the zoning rules don't go into a ton of detail on that point.

Looking at 267-27D4, I would assume you'd be in compliance but if you can get it in front of the appeals board, they would need to provide their decision in writing and supported by fact, so if nothing else they'd have to provide written support for why you are in noncompliance.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    You need to check w/ a lawyer of course, but I wonder if it were a "church activity" as opposed to simply a service for church donors it might be exempt. :innocent0

Jul 17, 2012
    Stoveman:

Their complaint wasn't with the shooting, but with having people in my house to teach them. My first goal is just to be able to teach the non-shooting portion out of my home again.

Also, I contest that I'm not "operating a range". People never pay me to shoot. They pay for private instruction services. One class a month puts fewer bullets into my berm than I do in one week. :)

I think even they are wary of terming "setting up a safe place to shoot for limited private instruction" as "operating a range" because that would indeed shut down hunters safety in the county. "Ranges" require 75 acres in Harford County.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Stoveman:

Their complaint wasn't with the shooting, but with having people in my house to teach them. My first goal is just to be able to teach the non-shooting portion out of my home again.

Also, I contest that I'm not "operating a range". People never pay me to shoot. They pay for private instruction services. One class a month puts fewer bullets into my berm than I do in one week. :)

I think even they are wary of terming "setting up a safe place to shoot for limited private instruction" as "operating a range" because that would indeed shut down hunters safety in the county. "Ranges" require 75 acres in Harford County.

How would they know what goes on in the privacy of your home?

If people are paying you for private instruction services which also includes shooting then I'd say that you were operating a range.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am familiar with this issue and I believe you drew attention to yourself via he name of your business and the public FB page. Too late to try and put the toothpaste back into the tube. Now you must comply with all business requirements. In addition, I am not sure how your home owner's insurance would feel about conducting a firearms business at the house, unless you already have insurance for that activity. Sucks, but you're past the point of no return. Be a learning experience for others at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Stoveman:

You can contest that you aren't operating a range, but,
    You named your home business "Range (redacted)".
    You advertised your business as "Range (redacted)" and offered shooting range type instruction.
    You listed the address for "Range (redacted)" in your advertisements as your residential address, in the TOWN of Bel Air.
    Your only photos on facebook are pictures of students shooting on your "range".

You dug your own hole. You likely irritated a neighbor. A neighbor complained. Code enforcement looked at your business name "Range (redacted)", and the likely complaint of shooting noise, and put 2 and 2 together.

Agriculture zoned or not, calling yourself "range", offering the services you offer, and conducting it within the confines of a Bel Air zip code, was never going to fly.

Also, your tiny scrap woodpile "backstop" as shown on your facebook page looks unsat as shit. Maybe its a good thing you aren't teaching safety there anymore.

Also, im not even sure your problem is with the county as much as it is with the town.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Google Fu must be weak today. Using the above clues, all I can find are Horst& McCann , and Team Grizzly.

But the other unfortunate fact is the number of Marylanders with Instructors Credentials is much larger than the number of Marylanders with Instructors Credentials , who have the access to facility to offer said training under their own Shingle .

Jul 17, 2012
    My Google Fu must be weak today. Using the above clues, all I can find are Horst& McCann , and Team Grizzly.

But the other unfortunate fact is the number of Marylanders with Instructors Credentials is much larger than the number of Marylanders with Instructors Credentials , who have the access to facility to offer said training under their own Shingle .

Team Grizzly is my friend's outfit. Which is also effected by this decision.

I just got a response from Zoning.

1. They're discussing free classes with the Director

2. They consider what I do to be operating a range.

The last statement concerns me. My understanding is that Hunters Safety in MD requires live fire, and that it generally happens on private property. If so, that is now illegally "operating a range".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless y'all do it differently up North , Hunter Safety Field Day is usually done on private property, that happens to be a gun/ sportsmen's club, not sombody's random back yard or pasture.

Hence the limited number of available slots, and why everyone is urged to take, or reserve early .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Am I mistaken or can't the "fired round" part of the course be done in a bullet trap so a range is not necessary?

Pretty sure the only thing in COMAR is the distance restriction "not to exceed ..."

Doesn't say anything about how close it can be, just how far it can't be

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

The last statement concerns me. My understanding is that Hunters Safety in MD requires live fire, and that it generally happens on private property. If so, that is now illegally "operating a range"

Not really. Turkey shoots occur at moose lodges and VFW's. It's an "event". I was privy to some of the details of your case before you posted here and it's a combination of things that really put you between a rock and a hard place. Not saying you went about things the wrong way or that others don't do what you have done, but the totality of your business name, address of the business and location where you shoot has really dug you a hole and now you have to basically lie about what you are doing and how you are doing it to try and get approval. In my opinion, it's not worth potentially creating more hoops for others by raising a huge stink over your already screwed set of circumstances.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Unless y'all do it differently up North , Hunter Safety Field Day is usually done on private property, that happens to be a gun/ sportsmen's club, not sombody's random back yard or pasture.

Hence the limited number of available slots, and why everyone is urged to take, or reserve early .

Has it changed since 2006 ? When our son and I did ours we shot BB guns

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

The last statement concerns me. My understanding is that Hunters Safety in MD requires live fire, and that it generally happens on private property. If so, that is now illegally "operating a range".

The name of your business contains the word RANGE.

Jul 17, 2012
    Not really. Turkey shoots occur at moose lodges and VFW's. It's an "event". I was privy to some of the details of your case before you posted here and it's a combination of things that really put you between a rock and a hard place. Not saying you went about things the wrong way or that others don't do what you have done, but the totality of your business name, address of the business and location where you shoot has really dug you a hole and now you have to basically lie about what you are doing and how you are doing it to try and get approval. In my opinion, it's not worth potentially creating more hoops for others by raising a huge stink over your already screwed set of circumstances.

Yeah, regretting my name choice at this point. Also regretting getting my trade name recorded at my home. Using a PO box probably would have avoided all of this.

The woman at zoning application is talking to the director to determine whether I can teach the classes for free. We'll see what they say. I'm interested to see if they say that teaching people for free constitutes a business.

-Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom