• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 3, 2017
    I have a Diamondback DB15EB that I'm modifying with an HBAR barrel for compliance. I've been working on cars since my teens, so I didn't expect this to be too rough.

But, I may need some advice on how to remove this barrel nut. It's not the milspec variety that's in all the howto videos. It's a low profile nut with a polished smooth exterior for the floating hand guard to clamp onto.

I put the upper on a Geissele reaction rod in my vice and put an adjustable wrench on the nut side. I've pulled and pulled and it's not budging. I know this stuff is high carbon steel, but it still feels like stuff is going to snap. My little vice doesn't like it.

Should I put an extension bar on the wrench or is there a better technique?

See attached pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4546.jpg
      IMG_4546.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 2,445
    • IMG_4545.jpg
      IMG_4545.jpg
      39.5 KB · Views: 2,230
    Apr 3, 2017
    My wife walked by to see how things were going. She gave me manly strength because I tried one more time and it broke loose. Go figure.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Heat the Barrel/Rail Rut with a torch till it smokes. Then try again. I wouldnt use an adjustable. A good crows foot with a breaker bar would be best.

If that does not work then hit the back and front of the nut with PB Blaster, let it sit for an hour, and add heat again and repeat.

If that does not work let me know.

Apr 3, 2017
    I expected to use the Precision Reflex wrench and my torque wrench, but I didn't realize it would require a different tool. I'm just making do with what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_4548.jpg
      IMG_4548.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 2,155

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Looks like the nut I installed for a free floating handguard from Rev Arms (copy of the AR Stoner handguard). I had to use a crow's foot and baby it until it was torqued down. God knows if I'll ever be able to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom