• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There is no such thing as " Non-Resident Permit " .

However non-residents may apply for , and receive a plain 'ol Maryland Wear & Carry Permit . Same requirements and procedures as for Maryland residents. And a substantial number of non-residents have one . Primarily employees of Security related companies . Either companies that do business in multiple states, or employees who live un neighboring states, and commute to a Md based job.

This

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I just wanted to followup on something -- When I went for my interview I handed my investigator my G&S Statement, which wasn't included in my original application. She looked over my G&S Statement, and stated that she wanted some more information (i.e. a letter from my immediate supervisor at work). Upon doing so she handed me this document, instructing me to send the letter straight to her at her personal email address (even though the document instructs otherwise). I have redacted her email.

In any event, just thought I'd share.

View attachment 207765

Send it the the LD, not the investigator. Investigator is done investigating, final decision is upstream.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I just wanted to followup on something -- When I went for my interview I handed my investigator my G&S Statement, which wasn't included in my original application. She looked over my G&S Statement, and stated that she wanted some more information (i.e. a letter from my immediate supervisor at work). Upon doing so she handed me this document, instructing me to send the letter straight to her at her personal email address (even though the document instructs otherwise). I have redacted her email.

In any event, just thought I'd share.

View attachment 207765

Maybe I missed something in the thread. You say your a hill staffer and do not reside in Maryland yet your application is thru MSP? When I first started reading this thread I said to myself "good luck" based on your Washington location. DC gun laws are as bad or worse than ours. Been dazed and confused.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Kaffakid states he is a "nonresident applying for a concealed carry permit". Didn't say he currently has a permit from his own state. I thought you had to have a permit from your own state in order to apply for a MD permit? Still confused. If he just wants to "transport in Maryland" then just go for a designated collector license.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD has no such home state requirement and a DC letter isn't a license to do anything. The transport law is very vague on definitions but simple possession of the letter doesn't allow you to have a firearm in your vehicle without a permit unless engaged iun one of the specific allowed activities. There is no legal defintion or case law on what a bona fide collector is.

Thinking it does may put you in jail.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no I'm not saying that and that's not what I said. You can do that without DC letter, as that's an allowed activity under the MD statute. But you can't drive around with your firearm in your car and then tell a cop "oh it's ok, I am a designated collector and I'm going over to my friend's house to show him my gun." May or maybe not legal as there is no case law. But you can be arrested and let your lawyer sort it out.

the former activity is legal, the latter is not.

going to a range is a specifically allowed activity under 4-203, wherever it is located

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks, I just seemed to remember reading other threads on getting carry permits from other states that the applicant has to have a valid permit from his home state. Still wondering how getting a permit from MSP is helping someone in D.C. Would think getting a D.C. Permit would be the priority. Maybe just thinking too much.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC CCW law is modeled on MD G&S requirements, as well the list of acceptable firearms on the MD handgun roster.

IOW, no permits for peons

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    Kaffakid states he is a "nonresident applying for a concealed carry permit". Didn't say he currently has a permit from his own state. I thought you had to have a permit from your own state in order to apply for a MD permit? Still confused. If he just wants to "transport in Maryland" then just go for a designated collector license.

You don't need a permit from your home state to obtain a Wear and Carry in Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    MD Wear&Carry Laws and Regs

Thanks, I just seemed to remember reading other threads on getting carry permits from other states that the applicant has to have a valid permit from his home state. Still wondering how getting a permit from MSP is helping someone in D.C. Would think getting a D.C. Permit would be the priority. Maybe just thinking too much.

Earlier in this thread we've talked about the fact that PA is one of those states that - in order to get a non-resident PA carry permit - you must have a permit in your home state (if your home state issues them). Not ALL states have that requirement.

I do not have a carry from my home state so i cannot get a non-resident *PA* permit. One can get a New Hampshire non-resident permit and then carry in PA (subject to PA law obviously). I have done that as have a lot of other people.

I think that my request for a MD W&C is legitimate given my proximity to the state line (literally a stone's throw). I also think other reasons I highlighted satisfy the G&S reason threshold. I hope MSP agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If MSP says no, then I'll elevate to the HPRB. If HPRB says no, then I tried. Wah waaah.

If the HPRB says "no", then, if you choose to do so, can appeal to a Circuit Court in a county of your choosing since you are an out of state resident.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I should hear in the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

I said the above quote on June 19th. Still nothing. The 90 business-day mark is July 14. MSP is using every single one of those 90 business days in my case. :mad54:

According to the Public Safety Article, one has two remedies if s/he is denied (or "disapproved").

Ask MSP for an informal review within 10 days.
    §5–311.
    (a) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Secretary to conduct an informal review by filing a written request within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary’s initial action.

Ask for an HPRB review within 10 days.
    §5–312.
    (a) (1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary’s final action.

Question:
    In both cases there is a 10-day window. Does asking for only one of those two options in that 10-day window preclude the other? The statute seems ambiguous to me. It seems like you'd have to ask for both in that 10-day window to preserve your administrative remedies to the fullest extent possible (e.g. initial denial, informal review, then HPRB).

Anyone have any experience on this?

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute says 90 days. The 90 business days is more MSP made up BS, like the live fire requirement for an HQL.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom