So what's the best pistol mounted light these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have a TLR-1 HL on my CZ HD handgun. Even though it's still mounted on my handgun, I'm still not sure if I like it there. I think it has three settings, high , low and strobe. It's on the low setting. Going from complete darkness to the high setting would be way too bright and take a second to get ones bearings back. Panic and use the strobe unintentionally and you and any other person in the room would be F'd. I might end up putting it on my SBR where it doesn't have the primary HD role. Hope I decide before I need it!

Yeah, I'd prefer one with only a momentary or full on switch. The Inforce has that, so does the HK UTL that's on my USP now. I don't have a lot of personal use for a strobe function. I don't tend to hold dance parties at my house... :P

yes, and I think the OP was only asking about lights, not combos.

I was - I have about zero use for a laser on a pistol.

Yes laser light combo, OP didn't really specify not having laser, just another option for him to check out. Can also be used just as a light without the laser.

Fair enough. Most combos tend to be larger than just a light though, and I think I'd like to keep the bulk down as much as possible.

Surefire x300u is top dog. I have several on long guns.

That looks like a nice light, but holy bajeesus it's expensive compared to the Inforce or the Streamlight. Like twice the price. I know Surefire makes good stuff, but is it twice the price good? (I'm not generally adverse to paying for quality - I have an Aimpoint PRO on my go-to rifle instead of a $100 red dot for a reason, but I like to make sure it's worth it, and in this case I don't know that it would be.)

I also like the Streamlight TLR-1 HL.

That one looks like it's designed for maximum brightness with a wide beam pattern? That sounds pretty good to me. I don't need this to light up stuff that's 100 yards off, but lighting up a whole room (or stairwell) would be nice.

As far as the Inforce light goes:

I like the design of these (switch wise and such). Last night I was watching some videos (and I know that's a dangerous thing...) and I saw some people complaining about them flying off of pistols while they were being fired, or housings cracking and stuff. Were those just sour grapes because of a crappy unit or something, or are there issues with them overall?

I'll look at the Streamlights more too.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah, I'd prefer one with only a momentary or full on switch. The Inforce has that, so does the HK UTL that's on my USP now. I don't have a lot of personal use for a strobe function. I don't tend to hold dance parties at my house... :P

I was - I have about zero use for a laser on a pistol.

Fair enough. Most combos tend to be larger than just a light though, and I think I'd like to keep the bulk down as much as possible.

That looks like a nice light, but holy bajeesus it's expensive compared to the Inforce or the Streamlight. Like twice the price. I know Surefire makes good stuff, but is it twice the price good? (I'm not generally adverse to paying for quality - I have an Aimpoint PRO on my go-to rifle instead of a $100 red dot for a reason, but I like to make sure it's worth it, and in this case I don't know that it would be.)

That one looks like it's designed for maximum brightness with a wide beam pattern? That sounds pretty good to me. I don't need this to light up stuff that's 100 yards off, but lighting up a whole room (or stairwell) would be nice.

As far as the Inforce light goes:

I like the design of these (switch wise and such). Last night I was watching some videos (and I know that's a dangerous thing...) and I saw some people complaining about them flying off of pistols while they were being fired, or housings cracking and stuff. Were those just sour grapes because of a crappy unit or something, or are there issues with them overall?

I'll look at the Streamlights more too.

The Surefire really is top dog, and yes it's pricey. Also backed up by great customer service. However, it is best for bang around, duty use. For HD, the TLR-1 HL will suit you fine. It's what I use, and your description of its beam is accurate. A wide bright flood more so than a central hot spot with dimmer spill.

I've been unimpressed by Inforce. Way too much plastic.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Streamlight TLR-4 is fantastic IMO. You can easily switch between laser, light, and laser+light. Has a toggle switch for on while holding (left), off (middle), and on (right).

The laser has held zero through 500 rounds so far with no issues. The light is very bright, and makes a chest sized circle on target at about 15 feet, with just the right amount of spillover.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    i have a TLR-4 on my P229, but most recommendations are going to be for TLR-1s if you're strictly talking a light. good product line either way.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Streamlight TLR-4 is fantastic IMO. You can easily switch between laser, light, and laser+light. Has a toggle switch for on while holding (left), off (middle), and on (right).

The laser has held zero through 500 rounds so far with no issues. The light is very bright, and makes a chest sized circle on target at about 15 feet, with just the right amount of spillover.

So far, mine has held up to a similar round count with regards to the laser holding zero and the battery is still fine after a year plus sitting in a drawer for HD.

I thought the laser was kinda of gimmicky at first and bought it so my GF could shoot with it. After sighting it in and testing it each range trip, I've grown to appreciate it as a nice feature for a high stress situation. The front sight is an ameriglo replacement night sight with the orange outside circle.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The Surefire really is top dog, and yes it's pricey. Also backed up by great customer service. However, it is best for bang around, duty use. For HD, the TLR-1 HL will suit you fine. It's what I use, and your description of its beam is accurate. A wide bright flood more so than a central hot spot with dimmer spill.

I've been unimpressed by Inforce. Way too much plastic.

This, plus your OP asked for the "best" not the most bang for the buck etc... Which one is it? We can tell you the best just for fun, but are you seriously thinking about buying the "best" or is this question just for conversation only? I should add that I have never bought a surefire light for retail price, I have always found them on sale from reputable retailers. I recently paid $199 for a $350 X300V (pictured below). What is your price point? If you have price restrictions then that should be in the OP......

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I know I'll get flamed for this but...

I've never believed in "gun lights" for pistols.

Let's say...
    You're going through the house and trying to find the BG...
    The BG is hiding and waiting in the dark...
    He knows where you are because he watches the beam from your gun light...
    As you enter the room where he is hiding... He shoots at your gun light...

[STOP AND THINK]

What is directly behind your gun light?

Your head
    Your hands
    Your torso
    Your gun
    Your life

What gets hit by his bullet that was fired at your gun light?

(see above list)

I was trained with a two handed search mode...
    Hand gun in strong hand...
    Flash light in weak hand with thumb on switch... Only turned on for brief periods and held out a bit forward, to the side and away from my face and body.

Bullets, like moths, are usually coming for the light... Don't be standing behind the light.

Well...that's true...but that is why you don't have the light activated all the time, and why you don't buy a WML without a momentary-on capability.

Also OP I have a regular Surefire X300 and have been very pleased with it. One thing I will caution you on--if this is a gun for home defense...remember that brighter is not always better. Some people get crazy with light output and it does more harm than good. When you activate your light in some situations, your eyes are not going to be ready for it, especially if it is pitch black. If you are in a building/house with a lot of white walls, or reflective surfaces, it can momentarily blind you until your eyes adjust.

My advice would be to get one that is just bright enough. Don't go too bright.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

i have a TLR-4 on my P229, but most recommendations are going to be for TLR-1s if you're strictly talking a light. good product line either way.

So far, mine has held up to a similar round count with regards to the laser holding zero and the battery is still fine after a year plus sitting in a drawer for HD.

I thought the laser was kinda of gimmicky at first and bought it so my GF could shoot with it. After sighting it in and testing it each range trip, I've grown to appreciate it as a nice feature for a high stress situation. The front sight is an ameriglo replacement night sight with the orange outside circle.

All these.

TLR-4

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    This, plus your OP asked for the "best" not the most bang for the buck etc... Which one is it? We can tell you the best just for fun, but are you seriously thinking about buying the "best" or is this question just for conversation only? I should add that I have never bought a surefire light for retail price, I have always found them on sale from reputable retailers. I recently paid $199 for a $350 X300V (pictured below). What is your price point? If you have price restrictions then that should be in the OP......

Ok, perhaps I should have been more specific.

I used "best" as a generic term for "what is a good light" I guess. I didn't have a price range listed because frankly I didn't know what was good and what was crap, and part of my question was establishing what I'd have to pay for something decent. 15 or so years ago I think I paid around $200 for the HK UTLII that's on my USP, and that was the last time I bought a weapon mounted light. I didn't have any sense of what price I'd be talking about. I know the Streamlight stuff and the Inforce stuff are around $100 or so, and the Surefire is a couple of hundred.

I'm thinking, at this point, that the Streamlight is a likely candidate unless someone can give me more info on the Inforce line and weather or not they're worth the money. From looking at pictures and videos and stuff I like the design of the switch on the Inforce more, but that might change if I see one in person. I've also heard negative things about the durability of the Inforce, but again that may be internet sour grapes or whatever.

The Surefire looks really nice, but at twice the price of the Streamlight? I don't know.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    My Surefire XC-1 came in over the weekend and at first look I am impressed. Very small (I was surprised at how little it really was when I first opened the box) and plenty bright enough for my intended use (around the house). Currently I use a TLR-1 on the house G19 and its a great light.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    +1 for streamlight. I have several of their TLR models TLR-1, TLR-1 HL, TLR-1 HP, TLR-2 and have never had any problems with them. Their factory/warehouse is about 2 hours away in PA. Great customer service, I had a problem with a Protac HL flashlight and was in the area, so I stopped in and they hooked me up. Haven't had any problems with any of the TLR series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom