• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    What is the protocol for getting work done on an AR built from an 80% lower? I may need some work done on the upper and I don't want to get the FFL/gunsmith or myself jammed up with a firearm that has no serial number and has never been through the FFL process. Nor do I want it going through the process.

Thanks

mjbjhu

Oct 31, 2016
    Glen Burnie
    If I am not mistaken, the upper is not a firearm and is not subject to any sort of ffl process. Separate the upper and your 80% lower and just bring the upper in for work. Shouldn't be an issue, but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If I am not mistaken, the upper is not a firearm and is not subject to any sort of ffl process. Separate the upper and your 80% lower and just bring the upper in for work. Shouldn't be an issue, but maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong
    I would concur..

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    As stated above, remove the upper and take that to your gunsmith. Leave your completed lower home and in the safe.

Just curious, what work are you having done to your upper?

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    As stated above, remove the upper and take that to your gunsmith. Leave your completed lower home and in the safe.

Just curious, what work are you having done to your upper?

I assumed I could just bring the upper, but wanted to check with the forum first.

I'd like to get an adjustable gas block installed. It doesn't look at all difficult, but I'm not sure I want to try to remove the flash hider in order to get the current gas block off.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    you do need to remove the FH to replace the gas block. Is the FH pinned and welded?

I believe it's welded. There is a similar situation on the opposite side of the barrel.

Attachments

• Flash.jpg
      Flash.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 458

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That pic does not show what would appear to be a weld, unless they really cleaned it up! Looks more like a little excess thread locker squeezed out, but.. my eyes are old.. lol

If they used Rocksett to secure it, soaking it in hot water for a bit will help.. ;)

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    That pic does not show what would appear to be a weld, unless they really cleaned it up! Looks more like a little excess thread locker squeezed out, but.. my eyes are old.. lol

If they used Rocksett to secure it, soaking it in hot water for a bit will help.. ;)

Oh! Maybe I'll get bold and take a wrench to it after all. How hard can it be? What could go wrong? Hold my beer! :D

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh! Maybe I'll get bold and take a wrench to it after all. How hard can it be? What could go wrong? Hold my beer! :D
    You need to hold the barrel tight, it may take some effort to loosen, or.... if you don't have all the needed tools, by all means, seek help. ;) A wrap of masking tape will help prevent marking up the flash hider.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Gunsmiths can work on a completed 80% lower. I believe they just write "no serial number".

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I'm thinking I'll clamp the barrel in a vise between 2 pieces of wood. Thanks for the tip of masking tape on the flash hider. I was wondering how I could keep from scratching that up.

Maybe not this weekend ... lawn mowing, pressure washing, and feeding in-laws may take up all my time.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm thinking I'll clamp the barrel in a vise between 2 pieces of wood. Thanks for the tip of masking tape on the flash hider. I was wondering how I could keep from scratching that up.

Maybe not this weekend ... lawn mowing, pressure washing, and feeding in-laws may take up all my time.

Get a receiver block, they aren't that expensive and will make that job a lot easier.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Thank you to the folks who recommended getting a receiver block and taping the flash hider. Worked like a charm.

Now, the next roadblock, I can't get the old gas block loose. I've removed the set screws and the roll pin, but that sucker won't budge. Using a drift and a few light taps with a hammer, it still isn't moving it at all.

Before I resort to my standard procedure (get a bigger hammer!) I though I'd check in again for ideas on something I may have missed.

Do I need to apply a little heat to the gas block? I'm thinking it may expand the diameter of the gas block quicker than the barrel would expand. Maybe even wrap a cold, wet towel around the barrel to keep it chilled.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    A little heat might do the trick on the gas block. There also might be a burr in the holes for the roll pin that's making it stick a little, too, since the hole was probably drilled through both pieces at once.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Didn't need heat after all. Instead of a few mild taps with a drift, a few manly whacks with a cold chisel did the trick.

Everything is off and it looks like the new block will slip right on. Hopefully I can get it all back together and get to the range in the next week or so. That damn day job keeps interfering with my goofing off time.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Well, that turned out to be not so difficult after all. The JP Enterprises adjustable gas block is on and running great. My brass is now looking a lot better and is ejecting at around 4:00 instead of around 1:30.

Thanks to all for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom