• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Hi, I have a like-new Beretta 92S that I purchased recently from SOG. In case you don't know, these have the mag release down by the heel.

I bought a bunch of replacement springs from Wolff to lighten the trigger a bit (it is very heavy). I changed out the trigger spring with a D spring conversion, and that went OK.

I went to put in a lighter hammer spring and realized the mag catch/release is going to have to be removed in order to change the hammer spring.

It looks like a total pain. There's a tiny roll pin in the mag release button and you have very little room to work in there.

I was wondering if anyone has tackled this and might have any tips or tricks to do this before I dive in?

Thanks!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Pic of mag release

Attachments

• IMG_3980.jpg
      IMG_3980.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 1,855

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I bought a 30 round mag for it just for kicks. Of course it didn't have the cutout for the heel mag release, so I cut my own with a dremel and a die grinder bit.

It is not pretty, but works perfectly.

Attachments

• mag.jpg
      mag.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 1,795

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    I have no experience with 92S. However, I have extensive experience with the M9/92FS.

Have you tried to remove the lanyard loop plug in the standard fashion?

Mechanically, I can't see how the mag release engages the hammer spring. I would wager their is a cut out on the mag release that allows the hammer spring to go straight thru.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I removed the pin and it felt like the lanyard loop wouldn't come out, then I got to looking and figured that I was going to have to remove the mag catch so I pretty quickly just re-assembled it and made this post, then went online searching for info.

I couldn't find any posts on the topic anywhere.

I'll tackle it again and see if maybe the lanyard loop plug was just stuck. I figured it was going to be under spring pressure and want to fly out when I removed that pin, but it didn't budge.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Good luck if you try to find anything about it from Beretta. I had a couple of questions about my 92S and when I wrote to Beretta customer service, they basically told me that they never imported the 92S to the US and can give out no information or supply any parts for it.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Good luck if you try to find anything about it from Beretta. I had a couple of questions about my 92S and when I wrote to Beretta customer service, they basically told me that they never imported the 92S to the US and can give out no information or supply any parts for it.

That's crazy

I am really surprised at the lack of info about the 92S. I know it's not much different, but it would be nice to have a bit more info...

Jun 27, 2015
    Martinsburg, WV
    I spent 3 years working at Beretta, I can tell you without a doubt they will not support the 92S, However I also have extensive experience with the 92s. You will first need to tap out the 1mm roll pin that retains the magazine release, Then remove the magazine release. Once you do that there is a pin holding in the mainspring. Once you tap that out you should be able to remove the mainspring and replace it. The diagram on Numrich is for a 92F if you look at the bottom of the diagram. Which does not apply on the 92S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom