• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I purchased a used Ruger SR45 not too long ago and I'm having a small issue. Through shooting 100 rounds I've had 5-6 rounds not fire. After ejecting these rounds i examined them and it seems that the indent from the firing pin is not as deep as a fired round. Before I take the gun to a shop i was wondering if anyone could point me to a video or literature on how to access/clean the pin and spring and what to look for? Im thinking this would be a good thing to do since I did purchase it used and i could examine the pin and spring while I'm at it. Any information and advice is appreciated!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    What Type Ammo you shooting? Steel , Brass, Aluminum?

Did you clean it before you fired it?

Were the Misfires random or consecutive in your relay?

Could be bad Primers?

Round didn't seat in the chamber?

Could have limped wristed cause a feed issue?

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    What Type Ammo you shooting? Steel , Brass, Aluminum?

Did you clean it before you fired it?

Were the Misfires random or consecutive in your relay?

Could be bad Primers?

Round didn't seat in the chamber?

Could have limped wristed cause a feed issue?

- winchester fmj brass target rounds
    -always cleaned after use
    -random, certainly not consectutive
    -i thought this as well but its happened the past 2 trips to the range
    -possibly?
    -explain?

im not sure why it has happened. i just figured that being a used gun, and i dont know how it was taken care of before me, that checking out the pin would be a good start.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I would start with replacing the hammer spring and firing pin spring with stock springs.

Being a used gun, you don't what someone else (AKA Bubba) did to it to make a "Custom" 1911. If Bubba installed a lightweight hammer spring, to reduce the trigger pull weight, it could cause light hammer strikes.

You can buy stock springs from Colt or Springfield or Wolf. Won't cost an arm and a leg either.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I would start with replacing the hammer spring and firing pin spring with stock springs.

Being a used gun, you don't what someone else (AKA Bubba) did to it to make a "Custom" 1911. If Bubba installed a lightweight hammer spring, to reduce the trigger pull weight, it could cause light hammer strikes.

You can buy stock springs from Colt or Springfield or Wolf. Won't cost an arm and a leg either.

SR45 not SR1911.
    YouTube is your friend....
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ruger+sr45+cleaning

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Hopefully not speaking out of turn here... my son had problems with his SR45(FTF, FTE). I told him to contact Ruger for a possible recall. They emailed him a RA. When he got it back, everything but the frame was replaced, including the mags(at absolutely no charge). Gun was test fired and a range report and a statement of all repaired/replaced parts was included.

YMMV

ETA... If memory serves correct, the fact that you are not the original owner does not matter ... Excellent customer service.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Limp Wrist is when you DO NOT hold the Pistol properly when fired because the Slide moves back and if the Pistol is not held taut the recoil of the slide doesn't function.

AS noted though for those that have a Ruger would be more helpful...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Limp wristing is a real thing. Without bogging down in debates of prefered stances * for shooting* , I will venture to say that from a purely reliability standpoint, the harder you hold ( any semiauto) , the better.

BUT , that's not germaine to the OP's situation. He's having issues with light strikes after the gun is in battery.

Meanwhile :

Option #1 - Clean, then test to see if springs needed also.

Option #2 - Springs are cheap. Replace them on general principles, and clean firing pin and channel while you're there.

If #1 or #2 don't work, send back to Ruger.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Limp wristing is a real thing. Without bogging down in debates of prefered stances * for shooting* , I will venture to say that from a purely reliability standpoint, the harder you hold ( any semiauto) , the better.

BUT , that's not germaine to the OP's situation. He's having issues with light strikes after the gun is in battery.

Meanwhile :

Option #1 - Clean, then test to see if springs needed also.

Option #2 - Springs are cheap. Replace them on general principles, and clean firing pin and channel while you're there.

If #1 or #2 don't work, send back to Ruger.

Agreed, though it is a matter of explaining and understanding. Illustrating possibilities allows for a more open approach...

Although if you have any issues with a Firearm a qualified Armorer or Gunsmith or the Manufacturer (if still in business) would be the first person I would seek.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I heard today from someone at Bullseye that he had what sounds to be a similar issue to what the OP was having. He had to send his SR45 back to Ruger. They got it back to him quickly with lots of things replaced. OP, you might want to call Ruger.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you all for the advice. This weekend I'm going to give it a good cleaning and test again. If I still have issues I'll be in contact with Ruger. Thank you all again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    If it's anything like a Glock, if you put any oil into the striker channel you'll get light strikes. It's supposed to be clean and DRY. I'd clean it out really well and try it again before replacing any parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom