• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm pondering purchasing a Polish TT, mostly because of how the slide serrations look, and I'm wondering if other countries' Tokarev pistols are also worth considering. I'm also staying away from Yugos just for the fact that their magazine capacity is different.

Feel free to share your experiences with these pistols. I'm looking for a budget blaster for the giggles.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    For a budget shooter, pretty much any Tokarev is a good choice. I have a Polish, it's a great range toy. The grip angle is a little weird, but you get used to it. Mine is about as accurate as I am. Surplus 7.62x25 is getting more expensive, but it's still a decent deal.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Pretty much all Tokarevs are going to be the same reliability, milspec and parts wise. They were built to the universal combloc standard set out by the Soviets.

Romanians are the cheapest and least desirable because they make up the majority of tokarevs in the country.
    Next are polish ones. They are more collectible because they look like WW2 era soviet tokarevs (the Romanians adopted the post-war style you can tell by the slide serrations on both)
    The Chinese would be the next desirable because no more can be imported and had their safeties installed at the factory. They also made a 9mm. version but not as desirable as its 7.62x25 counterpart
    The holy grail toks are considered the Russian variants since they are the "original tokarev", they were not modified, and like the Chinese ones no more can be imported.

Bulgaria did not make tokarevs. The Czechs and Hungarians made their own designs. The north Korean variant type 68 is very rare.

The guns and ammo are not as cheap as they used to be, you missed the boat on their super-cheapness. Tok's easily go for more than $250 easily these days and crates of the ammo cost the same. They are fun shooters and a poor-man's AP round if you will since they are bottle-necked so they have a lot of penetration behind those rounds.

Last edited:

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Pretty much all Tokarevs are going to be the same reliability, milspec and parts wise. They were built to the universal combloc standard set out by the Soviets.

Romanians are the cheapest and least desirable because they make up the majority of tokarevs in the country.
    Next are polish ones. They are more collectible because they look like WW2 era soviet tokarevs (the Romanians adopted the post-war style you can tell by the slide serrations on both)
    The Chinese would be the next desirable because no more can be imported and had their safeties installed at the factory. They also made a 9mm. version but not as desirable as its 7.62x25 counterpart
    The holy grail toks are considered the Russian variants since they are the "original tokarev", they were not modified, and like the Chinese ones no more can be imported.

Bulgaria did not make tokarevs. The Czechs and Hungarians made their own designs. The north Korean variant type 68 is very rare.

The guns and ammo are not as cheap as they used to be, you missed the boat on their super-cheapness. Told easily go for more than $250 easily these days and crates of the ammo cost the same. They are fun shooters and a poor-man's AP round if you will since they are bottle-necked so they have a lot of penetration behind those rounds.

What about the Yugo?!?! :D

I have a Romanian and a Yugo(M57). I really prefer the safety style on the Yugo and the longer grip(+1 magazine capacity as well), but when I bought it the barrel was very rusted out and it is noticeably less accurate than my Romanian. The barrel rust out of the box to my knowledge is not all that common though so I wouldnt use that as a determining factor. Mine was newly imported, but when people dont clean them the corrosive ammo can cause this.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    What about the Yugo?!?! :D

I have a Romanian and a Yugo(M57). I really prefer the safety style on the Yugo and the longer grip(+1 magazine capacity as well), but when I bought it the barrel was very rusted out and it is noticeably less accurate than my Romanian. The barrel rust out of the box to my knowledge is not all that common though so I wouldnt use that as a determining factor. Mine was newly imported, but when people dont clean them the corrosive ammo can cause this.

I didn't include the Yugo cause the OP doesn't want one because of its non-standardization. Otherwise I would have included it.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Bottom line, they are all the same to be honest. Romy, Chinese, Russian, Yugo, Polish. There are Hungarian ones but they are very hard to find and cost a ton.

- They all shoot the same.
    - Same fit and finish.
    - Look almost identical except for small visual items.

Romy ones are still the cheapest, but they are almost cost wise on par with Polish now. I say buy one of each....

I am trying to locate a Russian one now, so if anyone is selling at a reasonable price please let me know!

Left to Right:
    Romanian
    Chinese .30 (non type 54) 7.62x25
    Chinese 213 9mm
    Polish
    Yugo M57
    tokfamily.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Too bad, because I actually think the longer grip on the Yugo is a good thing for the TT's ergos.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I have two Romanians and when they arrived I was shocked. Both look like they just came from a showroom. Clean bright bores, excellent trigger actions, over all wonderful. One problem. The accompaning magazines were so full of cosmoline I had to push it out with a stick. Also I got one mag that doesn't break down like the others. Instead of the base plate being held on by a part of the spring, It has some kind of metal dimple in the baseplate and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the baseplate off. Anyone got any ideas?

shortround91

Mar 21, 2012
    I have a Yugo and love it. I shoot seller and bulk corrosive. As said earlier make sure and clean her up after shooting corrosive, its not hard a little windex works wonders for the corrosive ammo. Roady I just sent you a message and am hoping to add a Norinco to my collection. Numerich's has a lot of parts and mags for them too. That 762x25 is one little nasty fast cartridge as well. Which ever way you go brand wise they are some fun pistols to have some fun with. I also think cheaper than dirt sells this tool that you can make hollowpoints out of standard ammo as well. I havent tired it myself but I don't know of anyone that produces a hollowpoint for them as well. Good luck and enjoy.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I have two Poles and two Romanians. I think the fit and finish on the Poles (Radom) is a slight bit better than on the Romanians, but not by enough to really matter. One of each of mine is a Safe Queen, having arrived in like-new condition. The other two came in nearly as nice looking. Got them from Classic and SOG, with hand-select option, but that was before the madness.

Don't ignore the CZ-82 ....

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I have two Romanians and when they arrived I was shocked. Both look like they just came from a showroom. Clean bright bores, excellent trigger actions, over all wonderful. One problem. The accompaning magazines were so full of cosmoline I had to push it out with a stick. Also I got one mag that doesn't break down like the others. Instead of the base plate being held on by a part of the spring, It has some kind of metal dimple in the baseplate and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the baseplate off. Anyone got any ideas?

It just slides off

Sirex