• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    So after about 200 rounds through the LCR, I have a newfound respect for the .357 magnum. I went through about 50 rounds of S&B 158gr FMJs, and 50 rounds of Remington 125gr JSPs. The recoil through both is pretty hardcore. It's quite violent, but doable in that my hands didn't hurt afterwards. However, by the second box of ammo, I developed something of a flinch. I switched then to .38 special LWCs, and those were incredibly soft shooting. Really soft. I would say fairly comparable to 9mm out of my Glock 17. Switching to .38 special got rid of the flinch pretty quickly.

I then did a 30 or so rounds of .38 special +P JHPs, and I thought it was pretty easy to handle.

My current pistol shooting skills probably limit my social work ammo choices to .38 special +P, but .357 is a lot of fun to shoot. My inner recoil junkie is quite satisfied.

As far as accuracy goes, it's more accurate than I am at this point. I only took it out to 10 yards, because I figure that's probably within the distance I'd ever have to use the LCR. Trigger feels good, and the sights are easy to acquire (I might get the XS Tritium Big Dot at some point).

I figure the .38 special LCR might have been all I needed, but I do like that the frame and cylinder on the .357 model are beefier and steel. The extra 4 ounces probably also help with recoil.

Oh, and the fireballs with .357 magnum are pretty entertaining. The Remington 125gr JSPs have quite a bit of flash to them. I'm sure the guys in the booths next to me were less than enthused :innocent0

Thanks for the report. I'm surprised you made it though a box of 50, but then maybe I'm just a puss.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Thanks for the report. I'm surprised you made it though a box of 50, but then maybe I'm just a puss.

Yeah, 100 rounds of .357 was a tad enthusiastic on my part. Like I said, I'm kind of a recoil junkie :lol2:

That said, my right hand this morning kind of feels like I high-fived Chuck Norris last night.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yeah, 100 rounds of .357 was a tad enthusiastic on my part. Like I said, I'm kind of a recoil junkie :lol2:

That said, my right hand this morning kind of feels like I high-fived Chuck Norris last night.

:D

chucktwo.jpg

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Emn9F.jpg

This was one of my targets with the LCR at 10 yards with the .38 special +P 110gr JHPs. I'm not a good shot, so the size of this "grouping" is definitely more me than the gun.

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    Emn9F.jpg

This was one of my targets with the LCR at 10 yards with the .38 special +P 110gr JHPs. I'm not a good shot, so the size of this "grouping" is definitely more me than the gun.

Awwwwww he leakin'!!

1266430403742.jpg

I wish I could have shot it the other day, but my wrist was bothering me and didn't want to aggravate it. Get some snap caps and dry fire the crap out of it to get used to the trigger, and practice with .38s.

Even though it's a close-range defensive gun you still want to be proficient!

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Awwwwww he leakin'!!

1266430403742.jpg

I wish I could have shot it the other day, but my wrist was bothering me and didn't want to aggravate it. Get some snap caps and dry fire the crap out of it to get used to the trigger, and practice with .38s.

Even though it's a close-range defensive gun you still want to be proficient!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to get a lot of practice time in with it. Let me know if you ever want to give it a try!

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. Despite its 17 ounce weight, it definitely feels sturdy and handles .357 magnum loads better than I do.

I'd be remiss not to mention that Engage has two more of them sitting in their case, if anyone is interested. :thumbsup:

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I've been waffling back and forth between the LCR and SP-101, for WHEN we finally win the CCW debate. Thanks for all of your input. I am more of a traditionalist, and own a GP-100, which I love. The SP just looks like a miniaturized version thereof, but the LCR was obviously built expressly for CCW. I didn't know how it would shoot, and therefore, was somewhat dismissive of it. Now you've got me to thinking, again! Thanks (I think?) :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It is... with .38 special ;)

Eh, I have to disagree. Maybe easier on your hands shooting .38, sure. I just don't think this is a good first pistol or only pistol to own for the novice.
    I dare say that someone who owns several pistols, this isn't the first one out of the bag. I LOVE mine but have it for a lightweight carry gun, not a fun target pistol. It's more of a tool. Like me :D

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Eh, I have to disagree. Maybe easier on your hands shooting .38, sure. I just don't think this is a good first pistol or only pistol to own for the novice.
    I dare say that someone who owns several pistols, this isn't the first one out of the bag. I LOVE mine but have it for a lightweight carry gun, not a fun target pistol. It's more of a tool. Like me :D

Oh, I agree. This most definitely should not be a first pistol. Still, I think it's a lot of fun to shoot. I just don't find the recoil from .38 special to be harsher than shooting my Glock 17, and I put a lot of mileage on my Glock at the range.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Follow up post - I had a chance to shoot a S&W 642 and my LCR back-to-back, and I must say, the 642 shooting regular .38 special feels the way my LCR feels with .38 special +P. I also found that it's easier to learn the trigger on the LCR than it is on the 642. There's not much of a weight difference between the two (the .357 LCR is 2 ounces heavier). I think the biggest difference is how much more comfortable the grip is on the LCR and how smooth the trigger is.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Hello,

Speaking from a terminal ballistics viewpoint of the "standard" defensive shooting scenario, I would expect the muzzle blast to do as much or more damage than the projectile itself.

The .357 has the added benefit of being able to use .38spl +P without undue wear.

Now, a question for the OP: I had an LCP and liked it only for the fact that I could carry it when I couldn't carry a real gun. It got traded off.

I'm wondering if you have carried this fully loaded yet? If so, subjectively speaking, can you tell it's there? I could not with the LCP, and that was its redeeming feature.

I am trying to decide between an LCR or another KT or LCP, and while I prefer the added power of the .38+P/.357 over that of the .380, "carryability" would be first on my list for this size gun.

Thanks!

Josh

You should also consider the S&W340PD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom