Great Grandfather's Amazing WW2 Pictures (some graphic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smoothebore

Great pics, thank you for sharing. The greatest generation has always amazed me. Not only by what they did in WWII, but also across the board, they didn't talk about it. There are many of us history buffs who inherited memorabilia left by fathers, uncles, or grand fathers, to learn about their experiences only after they are gone.

My Uncle Bob died in 1984. All his stuff went to his oldest brother. When he died it went to my Dad. After Dad passed, My Mom told me about boxes of Uncle Bob's stuff in the garage. I should go through it and save anything I wanted. There's some Nazi money, pictures, letters, citations, and this 500 page book of real history. If I can figure out how to scan, I'll start a new thread to share.

Attachments

• D-day 002.jpg
      D-day 002.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 207
    • D-day 006.jpg
      D-day 006.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 199

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys. I'm glad you appreciate it. Once I get home from work I'll scan or get pictures of the other stuff and post them. Unfortunately most of the pictures I posted already are just digital scans that I was given. I don't know if there's any way to restore those. Another relative has the actual photos and there's not really any chance of getting them now. However, I do have quite a few of them so that's a plus, in addition to a couple of the original film rolls.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Cherish these. We have no pictures of my grandfather except from Parris Island. His exact response when I asked why there were no pictures of him..."we were too busy killing Japs". While I can definitely understand, it still makes me sad. I want some pictures! These are amazing OP. Protect these pictures!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's a letter (with the original envelope) that he wrote that I got with the other belongings. The letter itself isn't dated, but the envelope is stamped "Sept 26 1944" so it'd have to have been written a few weeks or so before. It must be some kind of printed copy after it went through military censorship. You can even see where its been "approved" after part of it was blacked out.

It reads

"Dear Dad,

I haven't written to you for quite a while for which I am very sorry. I try to write everyone when I can, but it isn't always possible. I write to Betty (his wife) often as I can and you can get any news from her

...Censored.... Which is all right as long as it doesn't rain too much and right now it is. We are getting a good rest here, but it won't last long, we are also getting fairly good meals. I went to a little town last night and drank a few beers, as whiskey is very scarce here and the beer is very different than that at home. I don't care much for it, but we have to do something to take our minds off the war and enjoy ourselves a little. I think we will be finished here in a few months and maybe I will have a chance to come home. If anyone gives you any bad news about me. Don't tell Betty as I don't want her to worry. Take good care of yourself and write soon.

Your Son
    "

Attachments

• IMG_9086.jpg
      IMG_9086.jpg
      109.2 KB · Views: 174

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Fantastic pictures, unfortunately not many of these personal pictures survive this long. You and your family must have gone to great lengths to ensure these survived to tell a story of valor and heroism.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very cool letter!! Those were known as V-mail letters (V-mail, short for Victory Mail, was a hybrid mail process used during the Second World War in America as the primary and secure method to correspond with soldiers stationed abroad. To reduce the cost of transferring an original letter through the military postal system, a V-mail letter would be censored, copied to film, and printed back to paper upon arrival at its destination.)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's some close ups of the tank pictures and of some of the other interesting ones. Like I said, if you guys want to see anything else closer up let me know and I'll post them.

In the last picture, When I blew it up, I noticed that the German Helmet on the bottom looks like a German Paratrooper Helmet.

I wish he brought back that MG42 he's pictured with also...

Attachments

• scan0012_3.jpg
      scan0012_3.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 165
    • scan0013_3.jpg
      scan0013_3.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 163
    • scan0014_3.jpg
      scan0014_3.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 163
    • scan0015.jpg
      scan0015.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 167
    • scan0027.jpg
      scan0027.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 164
    • scan0032.jpg
      scan0032.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 163
    • scan0033.jpg
      scan0033.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 158
    • scan0035.jpg
      scan0035.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 163
    • scan0036.jpg
      scan0036.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 170
    • scan0040_3.jpg
      scan0040_3.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 165

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I thoroughly enjoyed the photos, letter and story. Thank you for sharing and please be sure to preserve these for the next generation. Very cool!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Great pictures. I wish my Dad had done more photography during the actual fighting but he did not come by the Leica he brought back from the war until he was in the occupation forces with Patton in Heidelberg.
    One thing, the photos labeled 16" shell hits is likely mislabeled. Germans only had siege mortars above 15" and most if not all of their 42 cm siege guns fought on the Eastern Front mostly in the siege of Sevastapol. They did however have 15" railway guns in the Western Front and some permanent 15" gun shore batteries in the Calais. They all used guns originally designed for the Bismarck class battleships and the never completed upgrades to their 2 battlecruisers. One of those 15" (38 cm) railway guns was captured in Operation Dragoon, the invasion of Southern France where my father fought. He had been a US Army coastal artilleryman at a US 16" shore battery before joining the Signal Corps for the Italian and Southern France campaigns.
    Those German tanks in the photos are both Panthers, often called Panzer Mark Vs in English although Hitler had them delete the "V" from the name before they were first deployed at the battle of Kursk in Russia.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    Thank you for sharing. If you could, could you put-up a blown-up image of the first German tank? Pretty sure that was a King Tiger Porsche, and it's neat seeing one like that. Not many were fielded, and that he saw one of them and got a picture is impressive.

Wow, I think you are correct! Good eye, sir. I assumed it was a Panther at first glance, like the one pictured near Paris.

Amazing pictures, OP. Thank you for sharing.

EDIT: In fact, I found other pictures of the exact same tank!

http://kagero.eu/index.php?option=c...id=318:koenigstiger&catid=99:armor&Itemid=687

0178e266565a575d7b6334ffd957bd87.jpg

Photo set of Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B with Porsche turret (tactical number: 11) Funklenk-Panzer-Kompanie 316 which was a part of Panzer-Lehr-Division during the Normandy Campaign, abandoned by its crew on Châteaudun on June 17, 1944. This vehicle, as well as five other Königstiger tanks were captured by the US Army soldiers. The wrecks were finally collected in the beginning of fifties. The unusual but characteristic for this unit tactical number is clearly visible. [Kagero Archive]

1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing. I have V Mail that my father sent my grandmother when he was in India. Before he was drafted he worked in Ireland for Lockheed as a contractor to the RAF in what was known as the Civilian Technical Corp. I have his "uniform" in my closet, it's basically an RAF dress uniform. After he was drafted he was sent to India in the 10th Air Force. I always enjoy seeing veterans pictures and reading about their experiences as opposed to history books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom