• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    So, I keep hearing from people that it's legal in MoCo to shoot in a below-grade basement provided that you stay within the noise ordinances. Anyone have any actual experience shooting inside the house?

I'm thinking about stacking up some phonebooks, shooting my Ruger Mk3 in my basement, and setting up a fan to ventilate.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You need to consider ventilation issues first... Then you need to come up with something better than phone books, because ricochets suck.

Mark

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    My brother almost bought a house in MoCo that had a huge wine cellar built into the basement after the house was built. It was constructed of rail rd ties and measured 40'X10'. Already lighted and it would have been nothing to vent it and we figured we could stack two rows of sand bags as backstops. It was a sweet set up but then his wife didn't like the windows.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You need to consider ventilation issues first... Then you need to come up with something better than phone books, because ricochets suck.

Mark

I have a pretty hefty HEPA filtration system in the basement, and I figure if I keep my basement excursions relatively light (15 minutes or so at a time), it shouldn't be too bad with a good fan.

I hear you on the phone books. It's a small target, and while I'm sure .22LR won't go near deep enough to penetrate completely through, a solid bullet trap would do much to ease my mind.

I'm just curious if anyone has taken advantage of this relative liberty that we have in the occupied territories.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have a few customers with basement ranges. One even has the automatic target return. From what I've seen, the ranges are narrow, with a heavy duty exhaust system attached to a return vent that spans the length of the range. Remember, the smoke travels the whole distance, not just where you are shooting.

As for backstops, I've seen mainly pit and plate style traps. At least 1/2" smash plates or better. One of the guys rents his range for LEO qualification as he used to be an instructor. Cool enough to have your own indoor range, let alone make money at it.:cool:

BTW, he keeps all of the brass and gave me a few gallons worth.:party29:Too bad a good portion was Glock .40 guppy brass.:sad20:

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I have a pretty hefty HEPA filtration system in the basement, and I figure if I keep my basement excursions relatively light (15 minutes or so at a time), it shouldn't be too bad with a good fan.

I hear you on the phone books. It's a small target, and while I'm sure .22LR won't go near deep enough to penetrate completely through, a solid bullet trap would do much to ease my mind.

I'm just curious if anyone has taken advantage of this relative liberty that we have in the occupied territories.

I wouldn't do it without some strong exhaust fan venting to the outside and fresh air being blown in. If you do go with just the hepa filter and a fan, go and have your lead levels tested after 6 months.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    So, I keep hearing from people that it's legal in MoCo to shoot in a below-grade basement provided that you stay within the noise ordinances. Anyone have any actual experience shooting inside the house?

I'm thinking about stacking up some phonebooks, shooting my Ruger Mk3 in my basement, and setting up a fan to ventilate.
    Henceforth, you will also be known as Peter Clemenza. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    As others have mentioned, the ventilation issues are huge, especially if you have kids in the house. I would definitely think hard about using "green" ammo.

Have you considered air or CO2 powered guns? I'm not a huge fan of them myself, but I'm told you can buy pretty good facsimiles of real firearms for training purposes, and they can definitely punch through paper. If I ever had the room for an indoor range, I'd probably go down that route.

You could also try the Laserlyte training system - a bit more in terms of setup cost, but zero chance of killing everyone in your family with lead poisoning. Unfortunately, I don't think they make a .22LR laser cartridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom