• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvanrens

Jun 27, 2010
    Adamstown, MD
    Ok, I guess this stuff isn't taught in these parts. Free t-shirt to the first person to identify what I posted without using a search engine.

Lorem Ipsum - used by typesetters as "dummy text" when doing page layouts the "old school" way. You know, by hand, with moveable type. On a real press.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I had the chance to handle the vaquero in .357 at the 3R booth at the Frederick show and I REALLY liked it. I told him id be in touch then ended up spending the money or other things.

I would still like a vaquero though!

Yep, I'm with you there. Although I think I'd have to get it in 45LC. I handled one at Gun Connection and instantly fell in love.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Yep, I'm with you there. Although I think I'd have to get it in 45LC. I handled one at Gun Connection and instantly fell in love.

I was thinking .357 largely for ammo availability reasons. What's the word on .45LC out there?

I really should be thinking about a DA .357 so a SA in .45LC might be nice if the ammo is affordable/available

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I was thinking .357 largely for ammo availability reasons. What's the word on .45LC out there?

I really should be thinking about a DA .357 so a SA in .45LC might be nice if the ammo is affordable/available

I bought a box of 50 for $50 on a whim so I could shoot my friends Judge i think its a bit cheaper online.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    All .357 revolvers will also chamber the .38special. I like Ruger revolvers for thier overall weight and strength. Smith and Wesson's are a more polished gun with a better factory trigger. Avoid Taurus like the plague.

We have 2 Taurus .357s and a .38, all are well made and shoot excellent. Can't say I've had the same luck with their auto-guns, but Taurus revolvers have treated me right since '92.

Sep 1, 2010
    Depends on what Doc wants to do with his revolver

Doc,

There are some great revolvers out there, and other forum members have identified the two I would recommend for target shooting and home defense: the Ruger GP-100 and the S&W 686. A used 686 can be had for $500, which is the approx. new price of a GP-100. The Rugers are rock-solid and dependable guns that will outlive you. I recently picked up a used Colt Trooper MkIII for $375, and it shoots almost as nice as my Colt Python, which I picked up for $750. (Yes, you can still find really nice ones for under $1000)

If you want something more compact, the S&W 640 is a lightweight, hammerless 5-shot. The Ruger SP-101 is a beefier stainless steel .357 compact revolver, which makes it heavier for carry, but you Marylanders are forbiddden to do that -- unless you are one of the chosen who have received a carry permit.

My preference is definitely for the .357 due to the range of ammo you can use. I haven't seen anyone mention that in addition to .357 and .38 special, you can also use the .38+P, which is a hotter round than the .38 special (which means your gun has to be rated for it), but not as powerful as the .357 Magnum. I keep hollow-point .38 +P in all of my revolvers for personal defense.

Something I was looking at this past weekend is a lever action rifle in .357 Magnum. There is a wide range of ammo available and I would be able to use the same ammo as my revolvers. This is only good to about 75 yards, but that'll do for my needs. Ruger makes a nice stainless & synthetic bolt-action Model 77 in .44 Magnum, but not .357. Too bad.

Back to the revolvers, you just need to see what fits your hand and your shooting preference. Most ranges have rental guns, so you can try several. The Colts and Rugers tend to have a longer double-action trigger pull than the S&W. As for the Taurus, I only own one of their PT1911s. It's an okay gun for self defense, but for target shooting, the internal tolerances don't allow me to do as well as with other 1911s. My groups are 4 inches with the Taurus and 1.5 inches with a Kimber. Based on my experience with their pistol, I would buy a Taurus revolver for self-defense, but not for target shooting. Trapper seems to have good results, though.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Hope that some of this is beneficial. Let us know what you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom