• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Now it's time to look at the bolt assembly. For the most part, it's the same as a standard modern AR15 bolt but it's got lots of bling because it's almost entirely chromed. Still there are some differences and I'll point out the ones I know as we go. I'm no expert so you might see things I missed. If so, let me know because this is all about learning!

Right side:
    P1180114_zpswk7l1vct.jpg

Left side:
    P1180115_zpshwqdleep.jpg

Note that the firing pin retainer pin is different. We'll look at that in a bit.

Top:
    P1180116_zpswepba6rb.jpg

Bottom:
    P1180117_zpszq3bifud.jpg

Bolt face:
    P1180118_zpsrvk3ktp5.jpg

I want to say that newer locking lugs might be beefed up compared to these but I might be wrong??

Rear of the firing pin in situ:
    P1180120_zpsk2hatae5.jpg

Disassembled:
    P1180121_zps5jo8cdhu.jpg

There is nothing special in the way it comes apart. It's still the same today.

Closeups of the firing pin retainer pin:
    P1180122_zps6rmd659s.jpg

P1180123_zpsaqyj5oug.jpg

From what I've seen, these tended to be fragile and were eventually replaced with the now ubiquitous cotter pin of today.

First pattern firing pin:
    P1180124_zpslphg4wgw.jpg

P1180125_zps59ypqaok.jpg

P1180126_zpsngxmosux.jpg

Compare this to the one in your personal AR and you'll immediately see just how beefy this one is. Very soon after US military acceptance, a slam fire issue arose. After the typical stupid amount of time and money spent government approach, it was decided that lightening the firing pin solved the problem. I would think that should have been a five minute discussion but hey, I'm just a dumb grunt.

The cam pin:
    P1180127_zpso0tx6vjl.jpg

This is one of the few parts not chromed. The other major parts are the bolt key screws and the gas rings. I'm sure stuff like the ejector spring and extractor spring aren't chromed either but that should go without saying.

The bolt head:
    P1180128_zpsool2tpx2.jpg

P1180129_zpshrq2wmhs.jpg

I guess "bolt head" is not technically correct and I should just be calling it the "bolt" but I'm a roller delayed blowback kinda' guy and used to that terminology. Sue me. Notice no "MP"mark. That wasn't happening yet.

The extractor showing some neato torpedo looking machining marks:
    P1180130_zpsmeowkpdd.jpg

A closeup showing one side of the extractor retaining pin:
    P1180131_zps1mipxq57.jpg

Nice chamfer on the pin!

So nice in fact that we might as well see if the other side is so well done:
    P1180132_zpsfsugeqwd.jpg

And it is! Schweet!!! Whoa dude.....it's just a pin.

The bolt face again:
    P1180133_zpsgsvkhixo.jpg

We already saw this but I took the picture so I didn't see the point in letting it go to waste. Melvin Johnson of Johnson Rifle fame came up with this locking lug configuration and he worked for Armalite so now you know about that. But you already knew that didn't you? Yeah, you did.

A close up of the bolt key and carrier:
    P1180134_zpstmk27zmj.jpg

Again, compare this to your modern AR15 and you'll see some slight design changes to the key.

Closeup of the hole the head of the firing pin retaining pin nests in:
    P1180135_zpsgjlyul6q.jpg

The dark veiny looking funk is grease.

And BLAMMO!!! That ends this semi-detailed look at AR15 number 251, the 151st one ever to roll off the assembly line at Colt's manufacturing in Hartford Connecticut. The thing that strikes me most about these early rifles is the care and craftmanship that went into them. Compared to today's production, this thing is finely made. But in the context of 1959 manufacturing, this rifle was cheaply made and even kind of rough. Today everything is made by robots and CNC machines but this was made before that stuff existed. Yes, much of it was made with then cutting edge casting and forging, but the touch of the human hand is quite evident in many places, particularly the well dressed mold lines of the upper and lower receivers. Also, not only is it quite light of weight compared to today's AR15/M16, but it just feels more handy and well balanced. I like the 601 because it's pure and close to the original design. It's what the designers intended before bureaucrats and committees sullied the vision. It's the Original AR15 and it is good. So that's that. But we're not done boring the pants off you yet my friends. In the next post, we'll take a detailed look at some early magazines and pouches. And after that....well, I don't want to give it away just yet. Keep checking back though; you might enjoy what's coming up. I hope you do anyway. Bye for now!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Let's look at some early magazines and pouches:
    P1180050_zpslibcv5cz.jpg

At the bottom are three of the first pattern "waffle" steel magazines and an early style pouch. I actually had access to four of them but, like the dimwit I am, I only took pictures of three. Oh well, it looks just like the other ones anyways. Up top are two early pattern aluminum magazines and another early style pouch. I hesitate to use the description of "first pattern" on anything but the waffle magazines because there are just so many versions of everything that what actually came FIRST can be hard to pin down!

We'll start with a right side view of a steel magazine:
    P1180056_zpsb6olteo9.jpg

Even though it's steel, I couldn't really tell any weight difference between it and an aluminum one. I guess you might see a difference if you put it on a scale but the steel is so thin that it's really light. Remember, these were designed to be disposable.

Left side:
    P1180057_zpskjvam5lc.jpg

I think these look neat. Yes, I like them simply because they are old but I also just like the way they look. Of course, if this design was actually what became standard and what is so ubiquitous now would have been the early design, I'd probably like that one more. We humans are strange like that, aren't we?

Front view of three waffles:
    P1180058_zps6i0o0vkq.jpg

You can just make out the spot welds running up the front of the magazine on the right.

Rear view:
    P1180059_zpsv0dhhwvw.jpg

Note no seam. One these, the seam is on the front.

Top view:
    P1180060_zps7qzxw25v.jpg

Notice that one does not have an "S" on the cast metal follower. What that means, I do not know. Remember when we looked at some common magazines earlier and I mentioned the unknown plethora of variations? Well, it seems the variations started pretty early!

Floor plate:
    P1180055_zps4occm5jo.jpg

The early aluminum looks pretty much identical to what is still in use today:
    P1180064_zps4admslkd.jpg

P1180065_zpslwa53ql5.jpg

P1180062_zpsgxozo4sm.jpg

P1180061_zpsnzbduxfr.jpg

The seam has moved to the back where it remains to this day.

P1180066_zps63ncdy2o.jpg

Metal followers of course.

P1180063_zpstqlouyo7.jpg

Compare this floor plate to the one above. The text is about the same but the mechanical design is different. This one is very nearly identical to a current production plate differing only in the cutout where the front retention spring protrudes through.

The pouches are rubberized cloth and very simple in design. We've already seen the front of them but here is a back view:
    P1180053_zpsh6bwg4zp.jpg

They have no belt loops so how you are supposed to attach them to gear is unknown to me.

The only marking I can find is a very faint "-7-" on the inside of the right flap of both pouches. Both are shown below:
    P1180051_zpsuc16cawh.jpg

P1180052_zps54f61rk6.jpg

A detail of the snap and weave of the rubber impregnated canvas:
    P1180054_zps9ysdgegx.jpg

The welting is rubber impregnated too.

That was fun!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    We just looked at one of the oldest Colt AR15's made so now we're going to shift gears a bit and take a quick look at a couple current production carbines that also happen to be semi-automatic only examples of the current government issue M4A1. The reason we're going to look at two examples of the same model is to illustrate that even the newest and most current production shows variation from rifle to rifle. I'm not bothering to show the same thing twice for each example because most things are identical between the two. I'm also not necessarily going to point out which carbine a particular picture is illustrating unless it is germane to the conversation. And finally, the main focus here is to point out variation, not to present an in-depth look at this particular model so I'm not going to cover every little detail. Okiedokie, here we go......

First up is the box:
    P1180250_zpss5er1ttn.jpg

It's cardboard..... yay!! It's nothing special but it serves its purpose well enough.

The label:
    P1180260_zpsjrctoysf.jpg

I have no idea what "2013 Config"uration means. Notice that the model number starts with "LE" but the serial number starts with "CR" Also, the barrel length is listed as 16" but that is only achieved by pinning and welding an elongated flash hider on the end of an M4 14.5" barrel.

Inside the box is the rifle wrapped up in an unsealed storage bag and a sealed bag of accessories:
    P1180251_zpsrqgodhem.jpg

Bag marking detail:
    P1180253_zpsgzfcjvz7.jpg

Both carbines came in bags dated April of 2019.

The bags o' accessories:
    P1180255_zpslrexcqmb.jpg

Both are supposed to be melted shut to seal them but one was only partially sealed. I guess a melty baggie tool thingee was too deep for somebody. The contents are a manual, magazine (obtained legally), lock, vertical foregrip and a short rail cover for use when the foregrip is used.

One accessory bag was dated September of 2018 and the other was April of 2019:
    P1180257_zpswscrgtx2.jpg

P1180256_zpshouu4mqt.jpg

These were bought for collecting, not shooting so the bags are not going to be opened. Still, we can read the cover on the manual and see that somebody needs to be fired in the editing department:
    P1180258_zpswqbji0tb.jpg

It CLEARLY states that this manual is for semiautomatic rifles and carbines but later states that the manual should always accompany this pistol. Nice.

Because the one bag was only partially sealed, I could get the foregrip and short rail cover out without disturbing anything:
    P1180259_zpsesxl2nva.jpg

I could get the lock out too but who wants to look at that??

Although not a real variation that matters, the chamber flags, while made by the same company, were two different colors:
    P1180254_zps08lwewxy.jpg

Alright, now we get to the carbines proper. Because there are two, we can see both sides in one frame:
    P1180252_zps6uetjqji.jpg

Ugly damn things aren't they? I prefer the looks of the 601 myself. It has the neato space age look to it and the elegant curves of the carry handle make the rifle look like it's actually moving forward even though it's sitting still. This thing has all the elegance of a hammer. I think somebody either forget to finish putting it together or lost the carry handle. And what's with those handguards? Oh, I forgot......you need someplace to hang all your tacticool crap and it doubles as a cheese grater. To be serious though, the handguard is made by Knights Armament and provides rock solid multiple mounting points for essential tools on the modern battlefield. Normally, I would make fun of range "operators" who put this stuff on their rifles but Colt is selling this as a semi-auto version of the current military issue carbine so it gets a pass.

While we're on the subject of the handguard, I took one off to see what markings are inside both the upper and lower were manufacturer marked but I found it interesting that the upper one was dated:
    P1180242_zps8wy24mag.jpg

These models have a heavy barrel with flat areas milled out for mounting the M203 just as they should:
    P1180243_zpsgdudqlf6.jpg

There is a small "0" on the rear of the barrel:
    P1180244_zpsfv6lsro0.jpg

If I remember correctly, this mark signifies that the bore and chamber are chrome lined.

As stated earlier, this model uses actual military production M4 barrels that have had an elongated flash hider pinned and welded on so that they meet ATF length requirements. According to Colt, the entire upper is straight off the military production line. Here, we see the weld at the bottom of the flash hider:
    P1180272_zpsqonqfw5e.jpg

Markings on top of the barrel:
    P1180271_zpsmkp9kfwm.jpg

"13629" is Colt's Cage Number. Any time you see that on a part, that means Colt made/supplied it.

I've got more to post about this but I'm up WAY later than I should be so that's it for tonight. I'll be back tomorrow night (later today at this point) to pick up where I left off. See you then.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Continuing with the M4A1, the barrels are dated behind the front sight underneath the gas tube:
    P1180246_zpsyw6rbovf.jpg

This one is dated November of 2018. The other one is July of 2018 but I couldn't get a clear picture because I didn't remove that handguard. The serial number of the carbine with the July dated barrel is 538 lower than the carbine with the November dated barrel.

The front sight tower is identical between the two carbines:
    P1180273_zpswgclpeko.jpg

P1180274_zpsrhdr5ehm.jpg

Notice that they are no longer stamping an "F" on them. I guess fixed handles are far enough in the past that they no longer see the point in it.

The receiver markings are where things really start to get strange from example to example. The first picture is of the earlier specimen:
    P1180262_zpsqqnbqqxx.jpg

And one assembled 538 units later:
    P1180261_zpswlutbghc.jpg

The elephant in the room here is that the markings are not stamped but rather engraved. When this model was introduced in 2017, the markings were typical standard Colt "rollmarks" which is a fancy way of saying they were stamped the way Colt has always done them. Not very many were made in 2017. Early 2018 production also had all marking stamped but some were very lightly struck. Then they started showing up with engraved serial numbers but everything else was stamped and finally, everything was engraved. According to Colt, they were having serious problems with the marking machine so they switched to engraving and they say that that is how all of them will be done going forward. Other than the serial number prefix, the markings on the magazine well is identical to current military production so whether ones destined for government use are also engraved I do not know but I would like to. Some guys are extremely annoyed about the change from stamping to engraving but to me, the only constant in life is change. That's just how they are now. If you want one, you're just going to have to either accept it or find an earlier example.
    Notice that the QR code (the little dot matrix looking thingee below the magazine catch) on the earlier carbine is larger. When these were first released, the QR code was small as seen in the second picture. Then they got larger when the engraved receivers showed up. Now, they have apparently gotten small again. Or maybe both are being produced concurrently. Whatever the case, there are variations. And if you look closely, you'll see that they are not just different sizes but actually different in content. I need to scan these and see what pops up.
    I don't like that Colt ground off the selector stops and didn't engrave "BURST". I mean, the object was to build a civilian legal reproduction of a military carbine. They put the M203 flats on there even though they are useless to civilians (well, MOST civilians). They could have made the selector markings and stops look the same too even though they would be useless. Oh well, nothing is perfect.

Here is the right side of the receiver on the earlier carbine:
    P1180265_zpsac4krth5.jpg

It has an ambidextrous safety just like a true M4A1 does but the main item of interest here is that Colt has discontinued the once ubiquitous "C" and replaced it with their Cage Code "13629". Notice that the forge mark is present too as you would expect.

Here is the same view on the later example:
    P1180268_zpss0hhe4u8.jpg

Whatever marking were once there have been milled away prior or the upper being anodized......or perhaps prior to it being RE-anodized. This upper has been sanitized. Did Colt even make this part?? I don't know but I DO find it most fascinating and intriguing. I've also seen M4A1's with a forge mark but no Colt mark. I know that Colt is currently churning M4's out as fast as they can because of a recent government contract and I also know that, according to Colt, these uppers come off of the regular contract production line so I think it a reasonable assumption that for one, they are probably using uppers made by other companies when necessary to keep production moving and two, M4's in the field must also show a considerable amount of variation even from the same production run.

Here are the picatinny rail markings on the 13629 marked upper:
    P1180270_zps8tgygvpc.jpg

Although I didn't take a picture of it, the font of the numbers are identical to those found on the first carbine we covered at the beginning of this article.

Compare the number font in the above picture to those seen on the sanitized upper:
    P1180269_zpsr0mtlklo.jpg

Although all are slightly different, it is especially apparent in the "0", "1" and "6". Of course, it is possible that Colt made this upper and they have multiple machines with different dies for marking the picatinny rail but if that's the case, why mill off the markings?? My suspicion is that they had a shortage of uppers in house and did a little outsourcing. You see it often in WWII US firearms so why not now too?

These M4's come with a current issue Matech rear sight:
    P1180275_zpst3cfjpdg.jpg

It's all metal and built like a tank.

The stock:
    P1180285_zpsfqzuohbg.jpg

Notice that it has a round blank spot where a commercial manufacturer's mark would go. That's fine. Colt has been using stocks that look like this for a while now and I assume that the manufacturer makes these for not just Colt but anybody who wants them, hence the round blank spot.

Of course, Colt doesn't make them but rather buys them from Molding Solutions (AKA P&S Products ) in Lexington, Kentucky as is evidence by their Cage Code on the stock:
    P1180287_zpsnciyqnul.jpg

However, I find it a little disappointing that the other box which used to contain Colt's Cage Code now just says "MADE IN U.S.A":
    P1180286_zpsctevtwj5.jpg

Of course, it's possible that ALL P&S stocks are now marked this way, both commercial and USGI and this is normal. I simply do not know.

In the next post, we'll finish up by looking at some internal bits and talk about some variation there too.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    We'll finish up with the M4A1 in this post by looking at some internals.

The bolts in these are full automatic profile:
    P1180278_zpsi34l7foq.jpg

In both examples, the bolt carrier is marked with a "C" but they are no longer stamp marked but electro-penciled or laser cut or some such other newfangled way:
    P1180277_zpsjstvzwbz.jpg

However it's done, it's sloppy. I have heard of some not being marked. That would anger me.

The bolt heads on both of these are marked MPC2:
    P1180279_zpsj6catw95.jpg

Again, I have read that some are marked other ways including "MPC" or not at all. And again, not marked with a "C" would bother me. How are you going to explain that your carbine has proper parts in it down the line if they aren't marked? At least with the sanitized upper receiver, the barrel is marked and you can tell it's never been apart.

The hammer markings are the same in both:
    P1180280_zpsfcblyvwx.jpg

The reason it's shiny is that it's covered in factory cosmoline and it smells just dandy. I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning.

The stake marks are typical Colt and very well done:
    P1180281_zpsvbnjbwkx.jpg

P1180283_zpsagfrucgv.jpg

Now this bugs me:
    P1180284_zpspz4w6bfq.jpg

One has the proper H2 buffer and the other has a standard carbine H buffer when it should have an H2. True, this matters not one bit in a semi-auto only firearm but it's not how it should be. I may be calling Colt on this because, at this price point (around $1400) it should have what it is supposed to have in it.

A view up into the breach:
    P1180288_zpsnhmw14gk.jpg

It's hard to tell from this picture but the entire inside of the receiver has what looks to be a grey coating sprayed on it. I'm no expert on these things.....is that the "dry film lube" coating I've read about?

Here's a close in shot that shows it much better. It's battleship grey:
    P1180290_zpsnaaqpdun.jpg

And here you can see the overspray on the bottom of the upper receiver clearly creating a contrast between the black anodizing and the grey sprayed schtuff:
    P1180289_zpsuiyh7wx6.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is called "dry film lube" but I could be wrong.

Well, that's a brief look at a couple M4A1's. In the limited amount of research I've done on these things, it seems there are all kinds of weird things showing up, mostly marking related and some of which I have illustrated above. Some guys seem to be REALLY upset about the engraved lower markings and pine for a stamped roll mark. Other guys, myself included, are just happy to have one. There are some things that irk me a bit like the machined off selector stops and the lack of and "AUTO" marking. FN makes an M4 too and theirs has these things BUT, the FN offering lacks a true M4A1 barrel too so it's a case of get this but give up that. Regardless, one thing that seems to be consistent in everything I've read is that they are reliable, accurate and well built. In other words, they are what Colt has come to be known for. Yes, they are expensive but Colts always are. Besides, I've never heard of anyone losing money on one and very often heard of people making a tidy profit when it came time to sell. So, I'm pleased with my latest Colt purchase and, unless you are cranal (crazy anal) about every little detail as it related to a true GI issue M4A1, I think you'll be happy too. Short of enlisting (and I'm way too old for that), it's as close as you are going to get in a Colt.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks so much, ComBloc. Have learned a lot from this thread, and it's given me the urge to tear down my Colt rifles to see what proof and other marks I can find. It's also made me appreciate their history and evolution more.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thank you sir. At this point, it's becoming a little long and slightly unwieldly but I might as well keep going with it if only to keep all of the information in one place. Someone might find this stuff useful. I know I wish I could have found something like this when I started and I try to approach it from that standpoint. It's far from comprehensive but I think parts of it contain details you will be hard pressed to find otherwise and I think all of it has some good general information. Anywho, next up will be Colt's first sales brochure from 1960 and then a quick look at some early optics.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Sure thing.

I called Colt today about the lack of an H2 buffer and the missing marks. On the buffer, they said that they'd send one out no problem at all. I asked if they would like me to return the other one and was told to keep it.

As to the marks, I was told that Colt is making carbines for not just the US gooberment but also other militaries. Marks are added or removed depending on the contract they are working on and the markings you will see on your A1 upper will depend upon what contract was running down the line at time of build. After I got off the phone with customer service, I did some research and found that Colt is indeed involved in multiple international contracts at this time. If what I was told by Colt customer service is in fact true, I kinda' like the sanitized upper as it adds a little something.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Next up is what I think is Colt's first marketing brochure for the AR15 printed sometime in 1960. I wish they still made brochures this way. Instead of just being a glossy paged standard book, it's a multi-fold affair chocked full of information. The way it unfolds creates an almost interactive experience and I'm afraid I really didn't do it justice in my photographs. Still, some bad photos are better than none at all I guess. Let's take a look

Here is the front cover:
    P1180163_zpsq0rf9top.jpg

Notice that the rifle has the now familiar aluminum magazine mounted in it. Being that this is the first ever mass advertising Colt ever printed for the AR15, it should give you some idea just how few of the steel waffle pattern magazines were made as they clearly switched over to ribbed aluminum very early on.

Back cover again showing the ribbed aluminum magazines:
    P1180164_zpstxeh3usg.jpg

A detail of Colt's contact information at the bottom of the back cover:
    P1180174_zpsgfjo4vux.jpg

This thing folds open so much, its like an origami advertisement! First you open it like a book and see this:
    P1180165_zpsxw1gpau6.jpg

On the left side are the marketing "hooks". You can almost here the used car salesman voice as you read through the bullet points. I especially like the last one which states "NOW IN FULL SCALE PRODUCTION - INQUIRES INVITED". On the right are the specifications and an explanation of the "NEW GAS OPERATING SYSTEM".

Close-up of the above:
    P1180172_zpsfy3wu7km.jpg

P1180173_zpsmcba7emg.jpg

Opening each side out again, we get a large scale drawing of the rifle with both a scope and grenade affixed and text pointing out various features in the illustration:
    P1180166_zpsosi6qmxn.jpg

The scope illustrated is a Dutch made unit. We'll look at one of those in a later post.

We can even "remove" the scope to see what the rifle looks like without it attached and get even more information in the process:
    P1180167_zps0btdzjvr.jpg

Here are some close-ups of the above:
    P1180168_zpsm9budytb.jpg

P1180169_zpsfdfstri0.jpg

P1180171_zpsnbzjmgtx.jpg

P1180170_zpsar1qln9u.jpg

Even after unfolding the brochure twice, it opens up even more! The extreme left will now fold up, revealing yet more information and the front of the rifle illustrated with a bayonet attached instead of a grenade:
    P1180175_zpsejqz5sgy.jpg

Some close-ups of that:
    P1180178_zpstkrp7roy.jpg

P1180179_zpsrrtzu766.jpg

P1180180_zpsdamgoncw.jpg

P1180181_zpskvn88pqd.jpg

All in all, this thing is packed with a TON of information and it's probably the most clever and fun firearms brochure I've ever encountered. It's a real gem of a marketing tool!

Last edited:

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    First up is the box:
    P1180250_zpss5er1ttn.jpg

It's cardboard..... yay!! It's nothing special but it serves its purpose well enough.

The label:
    P1180260_zpsjrctoysf.jpg

I have no idea what "2013 Config"uration means. Notice that the model number starts with "LE" but the serial number starts with "CR" Also, the barrel length is listed as 16" but that is only achieved by pinning and welding an elongated flash hider on the end of an M4 14.5" barrel.

Nice rifle - I have an unfired one in my safe collecting dust and looking for an owner who would use it.

Attachments

• 0B4DC502-E454-4ACF-8174-AB25D5098499.jpg
      0B4DC502-E454-4ACF-8174-AB25D5098499.jpg
      72.5 KB · Views: 468

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Earlier, we looked at Colt's first marketing brochure for the AR-15 dating from 1960. In that really neato multi-fold gem, we saw the rifle with a scope mounted:
    P1180169_zpsfdfstri0.jpg

In this post, we're going to take a quick look at one of those scopes:
    P1180182_zpsfoltactu.jpg

Commonly known in collector circles as the "Delft 3x25", this was a generic 3 power scope made by the optics division of the Dutch manufacturer Artillerie Inrichtingen. The factory was in the City of Delft, hence the name. I say generic because this scope was not purpose built for the AR-15 but rather was designed to be used on whatever design the end user saw fit. Rather then go into a long history lesson about it that I might screw up anyways, I'll just direct you to a concise little article written by the good folks at Small Arms Review. If you want to learn some of the back story about the design and use of this scope, the following link will provide that information:
    https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3708

Let's get back to the scope at hand, serial number 338:
    P1180182_zpsfoltactu.jpg

Front is to the left so we're looking at the left side of the unit. The knurled knob at the front adjusts the windage and the one at the back adjusts the range. The logo is a stylized "AI" for "Artillerie Inrichtingen". If that name sounds familiar to you is because they also built some of the first AR-10's back in the 1950's. We might look at one of those in an upcoming post if I get around to it. Notice that the scope is just a round tube with the specialized part being the mount it's bolted to. As I said, this was not a purpose built scope and it could be adapted to various rifles. The mount is marked both Colt and Armalite. I like that it also says "Patent Pending". The knurled knob at the bottom of the mount is for tightening down on the rifle's carry handle.

Right side view:
    P1180183_zpstr1bnviy.jpg

Not much to see here. One thing of note is the little hole drilled into the windage ring in front of the knurled adjustment ring. This is for mounting the adjustment wrench which we'll see in just a bit.

Bottom view:
    P1180213_zpsta4koipo.jpg

Front is to the left. The little holes in the securing knob are engaged by little detents to keep it tight. Both detents can be seen at the three and nine o'clock positions.

Top view with front to the right:
    P1180184_zpsbg3fjqvq.jpg

The elevation adjustment is only good for 1 and 2 hundred meters. If you ask me, that's a little limited. In the picture, it's set to 100 meters.

Ocular lens:
    P1180185_zpsxhxbzqee.jpg

That's not delamination or clouding you're looking at but simple smudges. I should have cleaned it before taking the picture. Sorry about that. You can be sure, it's all cleaned up now. That's some very nice knurling on the adjustment ring, don't you think?

Objective lens:
    P1180186_zpsog2kwuho.jpg

The glass is cleaner but there's a fair amount of duct in the crevices. Maybe this thing should see some range time instead of sitting around collecting dust! In the background and out of focus, we see the adjustment wrench.

Here's a better look at the adjustment wrench:
    P1180187_zpstmsws1fj.jpg

And here it is mounted on the elevation graduation ring:
    P1180188_zpsfsep8i2i.jpg

The way this works is simple. First, you set the target out at either 100 or 200 meters. Next, you use the knurled windage and elevation tings to zero the scope. Once that's done, you hold each knurled ring fast with one hand while using the wrench in the other hand to move the graduated ring so that the "0" (windage) or 1/2 (elevation) lines up with the little arrow mark on the scope body. Presto zippo, you're done! Now, if the target is at 100 meters, you turn the elevation ring to "1". If it's at 200 meters, you turn it to "2". Beyond that.....well, I don't know what you do. If you ask me, this whole design is a little half baked. Regardless, now you've seen a real life example of the scope depicted in the 1960 marketing brochure. I hope you're happy because that's about all I have to say about it!

Oh! I forgot to show you the reticle. It's REALLY complicated and chocked full of technical information:
    P1180194_zpsroqrr8k6.jpg

It doesn't get anymore bare bones than that! I guess it's better than nothing at all. Please ignore the reference books in the background. I don't need reference books because I'm omniscient. They are only there for show!!! If you believe that, you're a bigger moron than I am!

See you next time when we'll look at a Colt marked 3x scope. Until then, long live the Empire!! All hail Caesar!!!!

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Next up is a Colt 3x20 carry handle mount scope. The 3x version was later replaced by a 4x version that looked almost identical. To my knowledge, all 4x versions were manufactured by Hakko in Japan. It could be that all 3x units were made in the United States but I think that the vast majority of 3x units were made by Hakko and only early ones (as shown here) were made in the United States. However, I'll be the first to tell you that I'm no expert so you might want to check me on that. I also think that some of the Hakko units came with lens covers and some did not but don't quote me on that one either. Again, I'm not much more than an imbecile. This one came with nothing other than an instruction manual. These were made for many years so expect variations in the box over the years too. Personally, I'd be afraid of what I was buying these days as there are MANY fake ones out there because values on these have risen significantly. I've been told these were excellent scopes in their day and if you want one for collection purposes, by all means, pay whatever you think is fair. But if you are buying one simply to use, don't spend stupid money to get one of these because, for the money these things bring in today's market, there are far more modern options out there.

We'll start with the box top:
    P1180210_zpsz7d3uxdc.jpg

It's a pleasant shade of red. I'm no expert on these things so I can't tell you when this one was made; only that it is an earlier one because it's a 3x.

The bottom is plain carboard:
    P1180211_zpsaesi3g2q.jpg

Both long sides are identical:
    P1180199_zpsgwahpdi2.jpg

P1180201_zpsvkqwi67h.jpg

I like this older understated packaging. I wish they still did things this way.

Both short sides are identical as well:
    P1180200_zpslvdwufcm.jpg

P1180202_zpsjbhk1brj.jpg

Box top removed showing the goodies hidden within:
    P1180208_zpse7udvdme.jpg

P1180209_zpspyl9tkn1.jpg

Detail of scope packing:
    P1180212_zpsrun9cntr.jpg

Quite sophisticated isn't it?

Top view of scope:
    P1180189_zpss49nomsp.jpg

Notice how "Colt" is inscribed and that it's marked "MADE IN USA". As I stated earlier....BE CAREFUL OF FAKES!!!! This one is 100% guaranteed original and that's exactly why I'm posting it; so that it can serve as a point of reference and research. The top knob is for adjusting elevation. In just a bit, we'll be looking at the instructions so I'm not going to bother explaining how it works. Spoiler alert......it adjust just as you would expect.

Right side:
    P1180190_zpstamfrgii.jpg

Left side:
    P1180191_zpsbstskf1x.jpg

I like the "1 to2" marking on the elevation drum. It has style. I should have taken more comprehensive pictures of the adjustment knobs and their markings but I did not. zfor that, I apologize.

Rear view:
    P1180192_zpstmhqlhqr.jpg

Front view:
    P1180193_zpsliziiain.jpg

This thing could use a good dusting but it doesn't matter really as it's never going to see use.

Ever so comprehensive reticle:
    P1180196_zpsm4z23y6o.jpg

A simpler instrument for a simpler time. I prefer simple.

Page 1 of the instructions:
    P1180206_zpszbjsqizc.jpg

A detail of the illustration on page 1:
    P1180204_zpse0yw55ae.jpg

Pages 2 and 3:
    P1180207_zpsyll4rybv.jpg

And the back page:
    P1180205_zpshpp1e0sb.jpg

That's it for this one. Sometimes short and sweet does the job.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Can I hire you as a buying agent?

I'm always for hire! LOL.

There was a late pre-ban at the Gettysburg show today identical to the one in Post 37 of this thread except it was new old stock in the box. It even still had the tag hanging on it from the factory. $1200 out the door. It was a screaming deal in my opinion but I just don't have the coin right now or it would have headed home with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom