• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    While I am sure this may have been covered before, I did look through the forum but couldn't find anything, so, I'm hoping someone could answer my inquiry.

A very good friend of mine whom I've known for 50 years has acquired a revolver through inheritance.
    The gun was purchased from a store in the late 60's-early 70's.
    I am not sure what paperwork was required back then when purchasing from a store, and I know that private sales of handguns was legal up until, sometime in the 80's?.
    Not trying for anything illegal. He plans on keeping the gun for sentimental reasons.
    Just curious if there is some way to check what comes up if the serial number is checked.
    He is not very knowledgeable about firearms, and I am trying to assist him.
    There is NOT supposed to be a data base for purchases, right? Especially back then?

Any input would be helpful.
    Thanks!!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've called Licensing Division before to check if something was stolen and they helped. Told me who owned it according to the database. This was a post-77R handgun. Not sure if they were supposed to but they did.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    omg, an unregistered gun!!!

:omg:

my advice is who the **** cares, enjoy the freedom. Stop worrying, start shooting. Hakuna Matata. Carpe Diem. etc.

Unless you think it was actually stolen, it which case... see above.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

It's not stolen, his Dad bought it new, been in his possession ever since.
    Will be firing off an email to the manufacturer soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sounds like you already know the history of the Revolver .

Presuming that this is taking place in Maryland , the equivalent of what we now know as 77R process began in 1966 for purchases from Dealers . Secondary ( aka Private ) sales between individuals were OK until Oct 1 , 1996 .

If you know the Dad purchased from Dealer, and the gun has stayed in the family ever since , then the most recent ( aka only ) transfer on record will be Dad's original purchase . ** Records that far back may not have been computerized . If the gun were used to shoot the President , then teams of people would scour the storage rooms full of dusty boxes . And of course, some of those dusty boxes may have been misplaced during the preceeding 50yrs .

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    O K, was not sure of the date private sales became "illegal", and didn't know the process before 77r.

Again, I thank everyone for the good information, I wasn't able to purchase a "regulated" firearm until 1985.

The gun in question is a J.P. Sauer & Sohn Western Marshal .44Mag.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "Process " was essentially the same back to 1966 . In the pre- computer era , it simply had a title to the effect of " Application to Purchase Pistol or Revolver " .

I can't say difinitively never , but " early release " wasn't a thing back then , every dealer simply waited for the approval to arrive in the Mail . Back in the '80s , typically took 2-3 weeks including USPS both ways . Less than 2 weeks you bragged to your buddies , 30days was late enough to make inquiries about status .

The other interesting trivia back in the day was the * Continuation Sheet * . One the approval arrived, you could buy up to 2 more pistols , from the same dealer, on the same day .

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Biggfoot, I actually remember the "continuation sheet", I would do that at tax return time, I would purchase one and when I went to pick up, I bought more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom