• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Relatively newbie question.

We have some strict rules about transporting firearms if you don’t have a CCW permit in this state. And there are some specific rules for transporting in your car. But what are the exact rules once you leave your car! For example, what if you don’t park on your property? Say you park across or down the street - on a public street. Obviously, you can’t wear your weapon home. But can you carry the firearm to your house in your range bag, over your shoulder? And if so, where do you carry the ammo? Or, in an even more simple case, how do you properly transport a firearm to and from the range if you walk to the range?

Before anyone jumps on me: I understand how to do it SAFELY. I’m trying to understand how the laws are written in this state, so I know what’s LEGAL. I don’t care if they are wrong on stupid, I just want to know what the laws are...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    You are allowed to transport a handgun to/from a legal activity (repair, range, competition, etc). The law does not say how.

Have them in your car. The put them in your horse's saddle bag. Then carry them the last block. Totally OK.

Yeah, I wouldn't be hand carrying them in a box labeled GUNS INSIDE. Other than that, you're fine.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    The law does say how. In a nutshell, unloaded in an enclosed case or holster.

See transport statute 4-203

That’s helpful, thanks. I read it and didn’t see the word “locked” anywhere. So that answers one question. And while *I* know the common definition of “unloaded”, what’s the legal definition? Can I carry a gun, magazines and ammo in the same bag? Can the mags be loaded if they aren’t in the gun? Can the mags be in the gun if they aren’t loaded?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    That’s helpful, thanks. I read it and didn’t see the word “locked” anywhere. So that answers one question. And while *I* know the common definition of “unloaded”, what’s the legal definition? Can I carry a gun, magazines and ammo in the same bag? Can the mags be loaded if they aren’t in the gun? Can the mags be in the gun if they aren’t loaded?

Unloaded means no rounds in the gun, whether chambered or in a mag that is in the gun. To all of your other questions the answer is yes, perfectly legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2017
    Spouses and Firearm Use/Transport

If a spouse purchases a non-regulated firearm (rifle/shotgun), can the other spouse transport and use at the range legally or must the purchasing spouse always be present?

Thoughts, opinions, facts?

Thanks!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Unloaded means no rounds in the gun, whether chambered or in a mag that is in the gun. To all of your other questions the answer is yes, perfectly legal.

The range I go to says mags have to be empty but I see no indication of that in the laws, seems more range time ticking ($$) away loading mags.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    The range I go to says mags have to be empty but I see no indication of that in the laws, seems more range time ticking ($$) away loading mags.

Likely driven by range policy (as you surmise) to take more time and hence generate more revenue or make it easier to ensure not steel ammo.

I don't shoot at ranges with these policies. Mags get loaded at home, stowed in a velcro'd pocket in range bag. Pistol goes into a pistol sleeve with closed zipper enclosure in the range bag. Range bag gets zipped shut (no lock) and placed in trunk - not visible.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Likely driven by range policy (as you surmise) to take more time and hence generate more revenue or make it easier to ensure not steel ammo.

I don't shoot at ranges with these policies. Mags get loaded at home, stowed in a velcro'd pocket in range bag. Pistol goes into a pistol sleeve with closed zipper enclosure in the range bag. Range bag gets zipped shut (no lock) and placed in trunk - not visible.

All their employees buy ammo from me so they don't care if I come loaded :lol2:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If a spouse purchases a non-regulated firearm (rifle/shotgun), can the other spouse transport and use at the range legally or must the purchasing spouse always be present?

Thoughts, opinions, facts?

Thanks!

As long as both are not prohibited persons, both can take to the range w/o the other.

IANAL

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Relatively newbie question.

We have some strict rules about transporting firearms if you don’t have a CCW permit in this state. And there are some specific rules for transporting in your car. But what are the exact rules once you leave your car! For example, what if you don’t park on your property? Say you park across or down the street - on a public street. Obviously, you can’t wear your weapon home. But can you carry the firearm to your house in your range bag, over your shoulder? And if so, where do you carry the ammo? Or, in an even more simple case, how do you properly transport a firearm to and from the range if you walk to the range?

Before anyone jumps on me: I understand how to do it SAFELY. I’m trying to understand how the laws are written in this state, so I know what’s LEGAL. I don’t care if they are wrong on stupid, I just want to know what the laws are...

Aside from what is legal and proper, you may not want to carry openly on in a recognizable gun case if you have to cross property not your own. In the land of Legalized Swatting and brandishing, that is all it would take for a neighbor who you offended in some way, not firearms related, or one who is simply a hoplophobe, to bring the authorities to your door.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Some indoor ranges indeed have that rule. I can sort of understand it although I wholeheartedly disagree with it.
    I’ve witnessed someone check into On Target with a gun with a loaded mag in it. They were asked to leave. They came back 20 minutes later with the mag separate and were checked in right away by a different employee.
    Personally I don’t go to any range that doesn’t allow loaded mags. (Although I belong to AGC and don’t go to indoor ranges anymore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom