• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Looks over gassed to me.

Is it worse when shooting suppressed?

Have you tried shutting the gas off completely, then opening it one click at a time after each shot?

Gotta find a way to slow that bolt down some.

I agree over gassing can be part of the problem as well. Bolt velocity is rather high as it slams into the bottom of the stroke. Set gas block by shut all the way down and the alternatively fire rounds with one rounds in the magazine. It will not get to the bolt catch and hold it open until enough gas is cycling to give the bolt enough velocity to far enough back in the stroke. Ounce the bolt catches go another 1/2 turn. If you set it up for non suppresses there will be more gas suppressed. If you shoot only suppressed set it up with your can on. If you go between both you will have to find a happy medium. Doing this and changing the ejector spring to an AR15 spring will get you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qorban88

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks guys. I'll try the AR15 ejector spring and adjust the gas block at the bottom and work my way up.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Has anyone had trouble with any particular band of AR 10 magazines feeding or jamming?
    Any brands that you have had good functioning with?
    DPMS type.
    I plan on getting some up at the York show this weekend.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Has anyone had trouble with any particular band of AR 10 magazines feeding or jamming?
    Any brands that you have had good functioning with?
    DPMS type.
    I plan on getting some up at the York show this weekend.

Lancers are the best, but they don't work in all large frame AR's.

Magpuls are nice but have bolt lock issues in some guns. Same issue applies, they do t work in all large frame AR's.

Metal mags are meh, in a large frame AR.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    14.5” Ballistic Advantage 1/10 twist Govt profile Barrel.
    > 12” Aero Precision M5 Enhanced Handguard
    > VG6 muzzle break
    > Adjustable Gas Block
    > Ballistic Advantage BA10 Receiver set.
    > Drop in Straight Velocity Trigger 5 lbs
    > Armspec Red Safety and Mag release.
    > Troy Tomahawk 308 but stock with special buffer
    > Tyrant Handgrip.
    > Cerakoted in Steel Grey.

Just ordered the scope a Primary Arms 308 ACSS 1x6-24 Gen III.
    The scope in the picture is my Redfield.

Lemme guess, you also took advantage of the Troy tomahawk 50% off blowout? That's a nice looking setup, I'm glad I'm not the only one who built something that obnoxious.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    This is my latest build, Aero M5 receivers, 15" M-lok ATLAS, UBR2 stock(A5 length so standard carbine buffers) Radian selector and CH, AR gold trigger and BA 18" fluted heavy barrel. Topped with a Vortex PST2 1-6, wanted the option to run it in 3 gun, but as a fun compact rifle for 400yds and under, it's been great.
    View attachment 255007

I can't believe missed this one. That's one sharp looking rifle. It's got a real "semi-auto scout rifle" vibe to it, which imho is one of the absolute best things that a .308 AR build can strive to be.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I can't believe missed this one. That's one sharp looking rifle. It's got a real "semi-auto scout rifle" vibe to it, which imho is one of the absolute best things that a .308 AR build can strive to be.

Thanks, built it to work in 3gun, but be useful for other stuff. I really like builds with a 16-18" barrel, long handguard and LPVO with ambi controls and a good trigger. Comes in at 12# unloaded, which isn't hateful for an AR10 with optic, but along with the comp and gas setup it soaks up recoil well. Went a little heavy on the barrel, and it's awesome for position shooting steel plates, but might go with a lighter build in the future. It's stupid fun to just ring steel fast and watch the bullets hit. Despite only being a 1-6 that PST2 is so clear and bright it's easy to make hits out far, can see 30cal holes at 100yds easier than many 12x scopes I have. My 7YO loves shooting it, he can handle it well, lots of BOOM, little recoil. Probably less recoil than a basic overgassed AR15 when using my service rifle match loads.

Attachments

• 20190105_120334.jpg
      20190105_120334.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 324

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I would gauge the gas key with a .182 pin Gage.

Ok, I will admit to impulsively buying one of the Brownells 308 black nitride BCGs. Still could be other things wrong with it, but just as a data point, this test was ok. The .181 pin went all the way in nicely and the .182 was not happening. Also, my Faxon gas tubes mate with a very slight draggy feel.

It has light staking as shown in the earlier photo. I was going to "torque scratch" the screws but my pocket knife could not touch the nitride.

Thanks for the warning about the headspace. I will be sure to check that when the time comes. All I have left to buy is the forearm and stock, but in order to keep the "worlds longest rifle build" title, I will have to stretch that out for a couple more years.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I finally made a decision and built it...a couple of months ago :o I figured I couldn't afford the optic to go the precision route, and making a hog-buster could be fun for 3gun. I've always liked the stubby little barrel sticking out of the end of a dissipator...so I figured a 16inch barrel inside a 15 inch handguard might be kinda neat. Boy, if I had the resources and dedication to track down a fixed sighted, carry handle dissipator .308 upper that would take rifle length triangular handguards...that would be sexiful! Instead, I came up with a "resto-mod" sort of impression of a .308 dissipator. :shrug:

It turned out to be a good bit cheaper to buy the complete upper from Aero than buying the parts individually and assembling it myself...so...ok :shrug: That means I have an extra stripped upper...for my next build :innocent0

AR10.jpeg

The carry handle is Brownells and the front sight is Midwest Industries...all made in USA :patriot: which I like ;) The stock is a SOTAR-Surplus Magpul. I figure I need to put a sling on it and change the pistol gip to something Magpul (just...cause?). I'll have to figure out which version I like...too bad there aren't any gun shows coming up to feel them up :sad20:

I put the drum on it just to be obnoxious in the picture.:D As was previously suggested, this rifle is pretty heavy as it is :innocent0 An additional 50 rounds of .308 would demand a bipod...or a hand truck. Even empty, the drum makes it awkward to handle...but...well, you know...:party29:'Merica :patriot:

I haven't shot it nearly as much as I would like to have, but it has so far functioned flawlessly with a variety of ammo and magazines. It came off the work bench with a dead on 100yd zero, which I thought was a fun coincidence.:party29:

It is also...kinda loud :innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I finally made a decision and built it...a couple of months ago :o I figured I couldn't afford the optic to go the precision route, and making a hog-buster could be fun for 3gun. I've always liked the stubby little barrel sticking out of the end of a dissipator...so I figured a 16inch barrel inside a 15 inch handguard might be kinda neat. Boy, if I had the resources and dedication to track down a fixed sighted, carry handle dissipator .308 upper that would take rifle length triangular handguards...that would be sexiful! Instead, I came up with a "resto-mod" sort of impression of a .308 dissipator. :shrug:

It turned out to be a good bit cheaper to buy the complete upper from Aero than buying the parts individually and assembling it myself...so...ok :shrug: That means I have an extra stripped upper...for my next build :innocent0

View attachment 280993

The carry handle is Brownells and the front sight is Midwest Industries...all made in USA :patriot: which I like ;) The stock is a SOTAR-Surplus Magpul. I figure I need to put a sling on it and change the pistol gip to something Magpul (just...cause?). I'll have to figure out which version I like...too bad there aren't any gun shows coming up to feel them up :sad20:

I put the drum on it just to be obnoxious in the picture.:D As was previously suggested, this rifle is pretty heavy as it is :innocent0 An additional 50 rounds of .308 would demand a bipod...or a hand truck. Even empty, the drum makes it awkward to handle...but...well, you know...:party29:'Merica :patriot:

I haven't shot it nearly as much as I would like to have, but it has so far functioned flawlessly with a variety of ammo and magazines. It came off the work bench with a dead on 100yd zero, which I thought was a fun coincidence.:party29:

Very nice. I bet that thing's a load to tote. Good thing you're a big fella. :)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

View attachment 280993

That’s kick-ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm sure glad it didn't have to be HBAR, and I'm also kinda glad I didn't get a longer barrel to make it nose heavy. As it is now...yeah, it's heavy over all, but it seems to be really well balanced. It's sitting next to the bed at the moment. If it's really needed, I'm sure Katie can muster up the adrenaline strenght to put it to work ;)

Kc7pwx

Mar 28, 2020
    Here is mine.
    Matrix Aerospace upper and lower
    Faxon fluted 5R barrel 16"
    Precision Arms M4-72 muzzle brake
    Superlative Arms adustable gas block and tube
    WMD NiB BCG
    Stark grip
    SLR foregrip
    Magpul UBR stock and 25rd mags and BUIS
    Sightron S-Tac 2-10 scope
    Burris Fastfire 2 mini red dot
    Vltor bipod
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Tac-con 3MR trigger
    KNS anti-roll pins
    Gesielle Maritime bolt catch

How is the Geisselle Maritime bolt catch working out for you?
    I just purchased an Aero percision M5 lower and I want to use the Maritime bolt catch with it but I have not been able to confirm that it works .

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    That camo background makes the rifle look like it's hovering. Nice build, Art! I would probably switch out the grip, e.g. overmolded rubber, if it were my build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That camo background makes the rifle look like it's hovering. Nice build, Art! I would probably switch out the grip, e.g. overmolded rubber, if it were my build.

I am a big fan of those. Most my Carbines and SBRs have them. :thumbsup:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have an ERGO ambidextrous on my 9mm PCC. Love it, tried to order more of them for everything else and cannot get the correct one now.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sorry to hijack the thread but is anyone selling AR10 lowers? On the lookout for new builds while private sales are still free

Sure...just take over my thread :rasp: No worries about that, my friend. ;)

However, I don't know if stripped lowers can be privately sold face to face anymore. I'm pretty sure MSP (of course, not the people who actually make the laws:rolleyes: ) decided that even AR-10 receivers had to go through 77r and 7 day wait starting this January. I don't have any documentation of that claim, other than what my LGS told me. Don't worry though...this is MDS. I'll be sassily corrected if I'm wrong about that ;)

Complete rifles should still be cash and carry...but it takes a lot more cash to carry one off that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom