• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Need some suggestions on what the best budget supplies I will need for my 1st Gun m&p9 2.0. i.e cleaning kit and transport (I don't have a carry permit, no kids in home )or anything else you pro's think of. For transport I guess I mean some kind of a bag I can carry everything in to the range nothing super large or conspicuous I don't want to scare anybody at the sight of a gun case you know they just go off by themselves sometimes lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you are carrying it, a good holster. Otherwise the tupperware box it came in should be fine. Some good stiff toothbrushes, some mineral spirits and a quart of synthetic motor oil in the same weight your vehicle's engine uses. A one piece cleaning rod with a nylon brush of the proper caliber, a brass jag and some patches and a cotton rag along with some q-tips. You need a secure location to keep your firearm or a lock to make certain children can't misuse the gun. Most guns come with one from the manufacturer. Kids are much more curious and resourceful than most people give them credit.

How many magazines do you already have? Magazines for any firearm are considered expendable items. Magazines will eventually fail. If you are going to carry this handgun, you need at least three magazines. Ten are better, and twenty even better still. Never too many unless you run out of money or space. Keep your magazines clean and replace springs when they show problems feeding ammunition. If they crack, or otherwise become unrepairable, dispose of them. Never keep bad magazines. The bad ones will inevitably turn up when you need a good magazine.

Whatever you paid for the firearm, budget three times as much money for ammunition. Having a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter. Having a guitar doesn't make you a musician. Practice makes you proficient. There are no substitutes. Dry fire three to five times as much as you shoot live ammunition, so buy some snap caps or dummy rounds. Make them or buy them but use them.

Safety glasses (ANSI Z87.1), double hearing protection, ear plugs and muffs. Neither of these items need to be overly expensive but spending a little more will often give you a little more comfort for longer shooting sessions.

Range membership and training budget. This is something that will pay for itself in the long term and will show results over the rest of your life regardless of what you shoot.

Be safe.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    If you are carrying it, a good holster. Otherwise the tupperware box it came in should be fine. Some good stiff toothbrushes, some mineral spirits and a quart of synthetic motor oil in the same weight your vehicle's engine uses. A one piece cleaning rod with a nylon brush of the proper caliber, a brass jag and some patches and a cotton rag along with some q-tips. You need a secure location to keep your firearm or a lock to make certain children can't misuse the gun. Most guns come with one from the manufacturer. Kids are much more curious and resourceful than most people give them credit.

How many magazines do you already have? Magazines for any firearm are considered expendable items. Magazines will eventually fail. If you are going to carry this handgun, you need at least three magazines. Ten are better, and twenty even better still. Never too many unless you run out of money or space. Keep your magazines clean and replace springs when they show problems feeding ammunition. If they crack, or otherwise become unrepairable, dispose of them. Never keep bad magazines. The bad ones will inevitably turn up when you need a good magazine.

Whatever you paid for the firearm, budget three times as much money for ammunition. Having a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter. Having a guitar doesn't make you a musician. Practice makes you proficient. There are no substitutes. Dry fire three to five times as much as you shoot live ammunition, so buy some snap caps or dummy rounds. Make them or buy them but use them.

Safety glasses (ANSI Z87.1), double hearing protection, ear plugs and muffs. Neither of these items need to be overly expensive but spending a little more will often give you a little more comfort for longer shooting sessions.

Range membership and training budget. This is something that will pay for itself in the long term and will show results over the rest of your life regardless of what you shoot.

Be safe.
    I don't have it yet but it comes with 3 mags a holster and a 2 mag holster. I was looking at some cleaning kits Llike a all-in-one deal, just not sure how much of a kid I need. What I was looking at had like a rope cleaner type of deal it looks pretty convenient, some came with solvents and oil, not sure if it's the right stuff for the gun or not. Thanks for your help

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Eye protection/Hearing protection. Doesn't hurt to have ear plugs and ear muffs.

Definitely a safe, regardless if you have children or not. Most guns will come with a hard case. When you go to the range make sure the magazines not loaded and in the gun, you can have the mags loaded and the gun in the same case but not together. Also have the gun in the trunk of the vehicle so it is not accessible to you while transporting it. A range bag is what you would put the gun case, ammo, eye and ear protection, etc. into.

Walmart sells basic cleaning kits, I would recommend for gun oil to get something with a syringe so you don't overdo it. I don't like cleaning solvents that lubricate at the same time, something like Hoppes for cleaning and an oil (with syringe) for lubricating.

Plenty of ammo :innocent0

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I own a M&P9 M2.0 so I'll tell you what I went with and why.

Assuming you are getting the range and carry kit you mentioned in a previous post you don't need anything more sturdy than the plastic box that it comes in for transport. I picked up basic earmuff style hearing protection and plastic shooting glasses from Beretta since they were having a sale and were a better purchase in my mind than randomly picking from the options on Amazon. The hearing protection works really well and the glasses haven't fogged up on me yet. You will probably want to pick up a small bag to carry safety gear to and from the range.

For cleaning supplies I picked up a basic Cabela's brand 9mm cleaning kit, a Hoppe's 9mm boresnake with den, q-tips, shop rags (cotton t-shirt pieces), and CLP. CLP does fine for lubricating the firearm but I also keep some Hoppe's 9 lubricating oil as well as Rem-Oil in both liquid and wipes for convenience. The Cabela's cleaning kit works well for general cleaning but the boresnake makes very quick work of cleaning out the carbon residue. Buying the version with the den was just so it had a safe place to be stored and keeps it easy to transport should you want/need to take it with you. It also makes it easy to distinguish between calibers when you have 4 or 5 boresnakes.

I also suggest making a trip to a store outside of the state to acquire standard capacity magazines. Cabela's will let you order them to store for pick up, which is what I suggest if you go with a big box store because they may or may not have them stocked. I could find mags for every M&P except the 9mm when I looked in store.

I have a Vaultek for home storage but anything that allows you to easily access your firearm when you need it is better than not having a safe place for it. Even if you don't have kids you'll want to make it harder for someone who has either broken into your home or is simply visiting but nosey from accessing your firearm.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I've had a few of the all-in-one cleaning kits. Some are better than others but you are always paying for some things that you won't use.

IMO the best cleaning/lubrication products for the money are to be found in the auto parts store. If you needed to clean a lot of guns and you were doing it outside with great ventilation, nothing beats kerosene and transmission fluid. Mineral spirits is almost as inexpensive and doesn't smell nearly as bad. A little goes a long way. The best lubricants are a small tube of white lithium grease and a quart of clean motor oil. Again, a little goes a long way. Unless you are shooting corrosive ammunition (which is highly unlikely in pistols) cleaning is not absolutely necessary every time you fire the pistol. Most of us clean out of habit not out of necessity. There is almost nothing wrong with cleaning firearms, as long as you are careful in assembly/reassembly and making sure you are careful with the barrel crown and chamber. Unless you are shooting soft cast lead bullets, barrel leading is not normally a major problem. If you feel you need to clean lead, mix up some Ed's Red http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

The bore snake cleaners are nice for a quicky at the range but they do not do a very thorough job of cleaning. If you do not clean them, you end up dragging old oil and grunge through the barrel from every previous time you have used the bore snake. A good one piece barrel rod (Dewey, Tipton, Gunslick, etc...) will last you a lifetime. You can make your own patches from old cotton t-shirts or other rags, but I find the bags from Walmart to be convenient and not excessively over priced.

Get a plastic container to put your cleaning supplies and spend more time and money on shooting. Just my $.02

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    For cleaning and lube, I swear by Ballistol. It may not be the best cleaner or lubricant, it it is carcinogen free. It does a good job on all my weapons. It has a strong odor, although all solvents do. I think it smells like licorice, but some think it smells like dirty socks.

Good luck. Always think safety first.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Before you buy a "range" bag wait and wait some more. I have only done this for a couple years and have gone through 3 before I found one that I finally liked. You won't really know what your habit pattern will be going to the range until you do it quite a while. You might get a few more guns then will need more space etc....

Cleaning is also another thing that you will develop a habit pattern. I bought a bunch of crap, at first, and now sits in a drawer. Example, bore snakes. I got one and used it twice. I hate the things. You put them through then what. They get dirty and then you have to clean them. Waste of time. However, they are obviously popular or they wouldn't sell them. It is cheaper to start with some cleaning patches, cleaning fluid, brushes, and oil. You don't need expensive oil. Mobil 1 is just fine. Some grease too. Watch youtube videos or Full30.com on how to clean the thing and watch a lot of them. They vary.

It is a fun addicting hobby. Just go slow buying stuff or it gets really expensive fast.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To tack on to what a couple members said, secure storage for your house. Even if you don’t have kids and don’t plan to have any kids over, you can’t legally carry it with you outside of the home most of the time unless you get a carry permit (unlikely unless you are one of the privelaged). And unless you never leave your house...

Anyway, even a real basic small locker, locking handgun case with a cable lock through something sturdy, etc. will stop your average snatch and grabber criminal. I feel like every 5 or 6 crime blotter break-ins a read it mentions “gun stolen”.

I really doubt those break-ins the guy is busting out some power tools to cut in to even a cheap safe or trying a pry bar to rip open something. But if they run across a gun sitting in a drawer or shelf, it’s gone.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Good stuff thanks fellas I wish there was a thank button. I wear eyeglasses so what are we using for eye protection is just the lab type eye protection they fit over my glasses comfortably I got them from the Maryland Small Arms range. Really most of the time I just use my eyeglasses. And I have just been renting the ear protection from them as well ,until I get my own. My wife seems to be very sensitive to the noise of course it's Indoor Range so it's loud as hell but even with earplugs and earmuffs she can't stand the noise.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    When you go to the range make sure the magazines not loaded and in the gun, you can have the mags loaded and the gun in the same case but not together. Also have the gun in the trunk of the vehicle so it is not accessible to you while transporting it.

Thanks for that I thought they had to be separate from each other one in the trunk one in the glove box so I can keep the mags loaded with the gun not in the gun, both in the trunk sweet got it

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Before you buy a "range" bag wait and wait some more. I have only done this for a couple years and have gone through 3 before I found one that I finally liked. You won't really know what your habit pattern will be going to the range until you do it quite a while. You might get a few more guns then will need more space etc....
    I bought a bunch of crap, at first, and now sits in a drawer. Example, bore snakes. I got one and used it twice. I hate the things. You put them through then what. They get dirty and then you have to clean them. Watch youtube videos or Full30.com on how to clean the thing and watch a lot of them. They vary.

It is a fun addicting hobby. Just go slow buying stuff or it gets really expensive fast.

Makes sense I will wait for my patterns. bore snake I won't get those.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Ammo. Ammo ammo.

You won’t need to clean it for quite a few rounds so enjoy it

Eye protection
    Ear protection
    Shooting range membership

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Don't spend the money on "gun lubes or oils", they are a blatant rip off. Get a quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic of the same type your car uses. Cheaper and does the same thing as gun lubes, unless you are going to use KY (because a true operator only uses KY).

Cleaning stuff can be Hoppe' #9 and a few others.

Get a cleaning kit.

A work mat, if you are going to do this stuff at the kitchen table. If you are going to do the cleaning on a workbench, don't worry about the mat.

Lots of ammo. If you think 100 rounds is a lot, you are picking up the wrong hobby. Buy in bulk of 1000 rounds at a time for range ammo. For HD ammo, 100-200 rounds on hand is sufficient.

Get a hard case. It doesn't have to be a Pelican case, but you can find hard cases the look kind of like a small briefcase or tablet bag.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Good stuff thanks fellas I wish there was a thank button. I wear eyeglasses so what are we using for eye protection is just the lab type eye protection they fit over my glasses comfortably I got them from the Maryland Small Arms range. Really most of the time I just use my eyeglasses. And I have just been renting the ear protection from them as well ,until I get my own. My wife seems to be very sensitive to the noise of course it's Indoor Range so it's loud as hell but even with earplugs and earmuffs she can't stand the noise.

Regular eye glasses will not cut the mustard if something goes awry. The polycarbonate with shatter into your eye if something were to come your way with any amount of force.

Get some ansi z87 rated goggles that fit over your eye glasses. Those will deflect a nail, shot at them without breaking.

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018

I wear glasses, and have never been a fan of eye pro that covers my glasses. I used to wear contact lenses when I would shoot so that I could wear regular eye pro. Eventually I broke down a bought a pair of prescription safety glasses (wiley x). It was a bit of an expense, but depending on how much time you spend needing to wear them you may decide it's worth it, I'm glad I bought them.

Definitely pick up your own ear pro as well. Go with what your budget will let you, nothing wrong with basic earmuffs but if you can the electronic ones are nice. If your wife finds it too loud with earmuffs and plugs, she probably just needs to spend more time in the environment and acclimate to it.

To echo some of the things other people have said, nothing wrong with using the plastic case the gun came in for transport. I do that all the time. Having a range bag is nice but it doesn't need to be a priority at first. You probably have a backpack that will work just fine. Gun, ear pro, eye pro, etc in the backpack and a small ammo can to keep the ammo in. Also, buy more mags.

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-saint.html
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/walker...-23db-black.html?_iv_code=5O-HP-RSEM-GWP-RSEM

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most " high school shop class" type inexpensive safety glasses , while having good eye protection , have ear pieces that are wide, thick, and a good distance from the head interfere with the seal of muffs, letting in a good bit of noise for most people . Try before you buy for the interaction of eye pro and ear pro, on your actual head . Down the road, the OP might consider prescription shooting glasses .

There are, and will always be , periodic threads about the most bestest stuff for cleaning and lubricating with large plethora of knowledgeable opinions . For general light cleaning , most of them will more or less work .

Bore snakes, and pull thru's generally , are Love/ Hate , with few people being nuetral .

Lubrication is Good ! The Most Best-est is more hotly debated than politics and religion combined . That said , virtually any lube ( that isn't Frog Lube) is far better than no lube, or insufficient lube .

You seldom have an emergency need for solvent while shooting , but you or a shooting companions will semi-frequently need a top up of lubrication . So even if you have excellent lubricant by the quart at your cleaning bench at home , a little 1oz bottle of $3 from Wal-Mart or whatever should be in your range bag, or even pocket for shooting sessions .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom