• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    No carry at the show. And I would think leaving a gun, in a vehicle... anywhere, especially a gun show...is a bad call.....easy to steal...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Most shows will have you check your handgun at the door, meaning you must unload. Some will even put a cable tie through the barrel to prevent it from being shot. I usually leave my carry gun at my son's house when I do the Oaks show. I don't usually carry in PA for any other show.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    No carry at the show. And I would think leaving a gun, in a vehicle... anywhere, especially a gun show...is a bad call.....easy to steal...

I thought Chantilly allowed carry, just not loaded. I know they asked, but there was no formal check.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    THeir: leave your mag in your vehicle and make sure a round is not left in the chamber. Present your firearm to be zip-tied at the front door and enjoy the show.

On the way to the front door, and when leaving the show, conceal it from a potential bad guy who may be able to see that you have a unloaded firearm.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I can't speak for the other shows, but at the Oaks show there are police at the door who are doing the firearm checks. I don't know if there's a law pertaining to loaded firearms in that venue.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I thought Chantilly allowed carry, just not loaded. I know they asked, but there was no formal check.

not ragging on you, but "carry" means you have a loaded gun. having an unloaded gun just means you have some metal in your pocket. and even worse is having a zip tied unloaded gun.

yes, they ask, and they have a no loaded firearms policy, but do not check.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I can't speak for the other shows, but at the Oaks show there are police at the door who are doing the firearm checks. I don't know if there's a law pertaining to loaded firearms in that venue.

Yeah, I've seen that at the Oaks show. I'll take a guess the venue pays the local agency to provide a couple guys in uniform to sit at the table off to the side up at the entrance to put zip ties through guns for people who walk up to them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most shows have a policy against carrying firearms for defense, it's hypocritical, stupid, and at least in PA has 0 force of law, even if police happen to be the hired security to check guns at the door.

I also ignore it at EVERY gun show I attend, concealed means concealed, and when asked if I have any firearms, just say no. Worst they can do is ask for you to leave. There are plenty of people that out themselves, but there are no pat-down, no metal detectors, and a lot of others that do the same thing I do. Guess the "honorable" thing to do is boycott the shows, but being a gun show, and a central part of our gun culture, I'll attend those I want to, and complain about the policy every chance I get.

Odd thing is most get NRA endorsed insurance, and the NRA have this policy as part of their insurance application(d,f,k on application). The NRA's own conventions, the outdoor show, and even their headquarters allow lawful carry without issue. I'll write them a letter pretty much after every gun show.

Now obviously I understand there is a reason to check firearms someone is bringing to sell, trade. Until the last few years there was a distinction of firearms brought in for these purposes, where handguns for sale/trade were brought in cases, checked and flagged at the door, then allowed into the show, while defensive firearms were expressly allowed.

https://mynrainsurance.com/getmedia/95bcf4ee-e768-4cc1-bab5-5d85334ce6cc/2016-Gun-Show-Application-9-16.pdf

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Most shows have a policy against carrying firearms for defense, it's hypocritical, stupid, and at least in PA has 0 force of law, even if police happen to be the hired security to check guns at the door.

I also ignore it at EVERY gun show I attend, concealed means concealed, and when asked if I have any firearms, just say no. Worst they can do is ask for you to leave. There are plenty of people that out themselves, but there are no pat-down, no metal detectors, and a lot of others that do the same thing I do. Guess the "honorable" thing to do is boycott the shows, but being a gun show, and a central part of our gun culture, I'll attend those I want to, and complain about the policy every chance I get.

Odd thing is most get NRA endorsed insurance, and the NRA have this policy as part of their insurance application(d,f,k on application). The NRA's own conventions, the outdoor show, and even their headquarters allow lawful carry without issue. I'll write them a letter pretty much after every gun show.

Now obviously I understand there is a reason to check firearms someone is bringing to sell, trade. Until the last few years there was a distinction of firearms brought in for these purposes, where handguns for sale/trade were brought in cases, checked and flagged at the door, then allowed into the show, while defensive firearms were expressly allowed.

https://mynrainsurance.com/getmedia/95bcf4ee-e768-4cc1-bab5-5d85334ce6cc/2016-Gun-Show-Application-9-16.pdf

My guess is they are concerned with an attendee mixing up a loaded carry gun with one of the ones on display and accidentally firing. I've seen too many idiots at shows and gun stores dry fire guns without checking that they're unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom