• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Got my RRA LPKs today, bought an upper last weekend, so I guess I am just about ready to build!!!

Any advise on building lowers, common screw ups to avoid? I am using RRA LPKS with two stage trigger.

Thanks,
    Tom

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Saftey glasses, extra detent just in case. Do it in a clean well lit room preferably hard wood.

Things will go ballistic! :-)

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I HATED trying to get the roll pin for the trigger guard in place. This made my life so much easier. Less cursing and banging.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-trigger-guard-sku100011683-56059-116559.aspx

Make sure you have your punches, a non marring hammer, and a youtube video about the process. Should be pretty simple. Second hardest part of the job was the roll pin for the bolt catch. Really, everything but the roll pins was pretty easy. Extra detents aren't a bad idea as they're stupid easy to lose.

Also, love this was posted at 5:56 PM. Nice touch.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Is there anything wrong with pinching that roll pin a tad with a pair of needlenose players to help it get started?

There are a bunch of good tutorials on YouTube.

A pair of needle nose plyers, razor blade and it a flat nose screw driver also helped.

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I found a guy on you tube who used channel locks and covered them in electrical tape so the would scratch the lower to squeeze your roll pins into place works perfectly.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    When you go to drive the bolt releas pin in, put some blue tape on the side of your receiver and then put duct tape over that tape to avoid marring your receiver.
    I am just about done my first build all I need to do is mount the barrel, gas block & tube and mount the buffer tube & stock when they get here from PSA.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Roll pin starter punches, extra detents and detent springs, clevis pin set for mounting take-down pins...

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Install the springs with the receiver inside the mouth of a large plastic bag and the "away" end of the spring pointing towards the closed end of the bag. It cuts down on the number of springs you'll be looking for later.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Got my RRA LPKs today, bought an upper last weekend, so I guess I am just about ready to build!!!

Any advise on building lowers, common screw ups to avoid? I am using RRA LPKS with two stage trigger.

Thanks,
    Tom

Get a large clear trash bag. Work with all springs inside the bag. This way you will be able to find the parts that go flying.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Here's some tips and tricks that I use in assembly.

First, have roll pin punches. Makes this process much easier.

Second, after putting blue tape on the left side of the receiver from the bolt catch to the the buffer tube, lay the receiver down and use the roll pin punch to hold the bolt catch roll pin in place and gently tap it to get it started. Once you've started it, tap it in until you just start to see a smidge the pin coming through the ear. Stop, put in the bolt catch spring and buffer and then snap the bolt catch into place. The small amount of bolt catch pin will automatically align the bolt catch in position and you can then just drive the pin home. Works perfectly every time.

Third, the forward detent and takedown pin is your best bet to lose a detent and a spring. If you don't have a detent install tool (invest in one if you are planning to do more than a few lowers), an allen key roughly the size of takedown pin hole will work. Insert the spring, then the detent. Slide the allen key in from the other side. Push down the detent and push the key over it. The detent will hold the key in place. Get your takedown pin, put pressure on the allen key to push down the detent and then in one smooth motion push in the takedown pin and push out the allen key. Once you've done it a couple times you'll have it almost as good as a purpose-built tool.

I assemble in the order of bolt catch, forward takedown, trigger, hammer, safety and grip and buffer tube/rear takedown. Gets the hard part out of the way.

Happy to walk you through the process if you're ever interested. I assemble my lowers literally on my desk in front of a computer keyboard with a gunsmith's hammer, a set of roll pin punches, a roll of blue painters tape and a cloth to put the receiver on.

Matt

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    One other thing. Buy a bottle of Birchwood Caseys Aluminum Black. You will make mistakes and those mistakes can causee scratches. Aluminum Black hides them.

Edit ok two.... For the takedown pin installation tool I use a clevis pin (available at Lowes in the hardware section (nuts and bolts)). You may have to chuck it up in a drill and sand it down a little to get it to fit.

Attachments

• 20160912_201502.jpg
      20160912_201502.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 290
    I second the trash bag idea... would have saved me some time when I did my first assembly. You'll be amazed at how easy it actually is.

Also, don't dry fire a bare lower. It can damage the hammer (apparently). I will test trigger function but put a finger in front of the hammer to prevent it from slamming down on cold hard steel

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I second the trash bag idea... would have saved me some time when I did my first assembly. You'll be amazed at how easy it actually is.

Also, don't dry fire a bare lower. It can damage the hammer (apparently). I will test trigger function but put a finger in front of the hammer to prevent it from slamming down on cold hard steel

Awesome username. I hope it is allowed to stand. I am still laughing.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

It's not the hammer you're worried about, but rather the spot in the lower where the hammer will fall. It's thin there and can break through. Okay, that's "supposedly" since I've never seen one. Sticking your finger in front of the hammer is cheap insurance in case the rumor is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom