• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I like to think I'm a smart fellow of sound mind, but even though I store my guns and ammo separate I check my guns empty twice when taking them out of the safe, and two more times after dropping the mag, once more before handing it to someone and twice again after getting it back. I check it two more times before field stripping, and another double check after putting it back together and before doing a functional check. I'll then check it twice more before putting it back in the safe.

And even then I treat it like it's loaded, not pointing at anything that I'm not willing to destroy.

I know it's unloaded from step one, and I don't have OCD or problems with responsibility, this was just how I learned from my dad. Is this what you guys do?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    All my serious guns are loaded and generally within reach. Unloaded guns are put away until I get the urge to relax (.22) or make loud noises (Mosin)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Any and every time I intend to do anything with it.

But since I have it with me... It is always hot.
    But I still check it frequently.

• release and remove magazine.
    • rack slide several times.
    • lock slide rearward.
    • check chamber.
    • rack slide.
    • check chamber once more.
    • field strip pistol.
    • inspect for foreign matter.
    • clear if necessary.
    • check for proper lubrication.
    • lubricate if necessary.
    • reassemble.
    • check function.
    • reload.
    • sweep holster for any foreign matter or issues.
    • reholster.
    Stow supplies and go...

A few minutes time will save years of "what you should have done".

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Nothing wrong with being OCD about handling your weapons...recently at work, a guy with a ton of years on the job (PD) and familiar with weapons handling...had an accidental dis-charge while field stripping his weapon. What made it worse is that he didn't even use the sandbox to unload his weapon, he unloaded it in the Office (or should I say, thought he unloaded it)...with others around! Luckily, no one was struck.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    I keep all handguns in my house in condition 3 except for my bedside gun
    Rifles are unloaded with chamber open

I check safe every time I touch a weapon and have to clear my bedside gun every morning. Having a kid has increased my OCD to an almost unhealthy level.

Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    No such thing as OCD when handling firearms, check every time you handle them. If you check every time you pick it up it become second nature. Safety first

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Every time I pick one up or hand it to someone else and every time someone hands one to me.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I like to think I'm a smart fellow of sound mind, but even though I store my guns and ammo separate I check my guns empty twice when taking them out of the safe, and two more times after dropping the mag, once more before handing it to someone and twice again after getting it back. I check it two more times before field stripping, and another double check after putting it back together and before doing a functional check. I'll then check it twice more before putting it back in the safe.

And even then I treat it like it's loaded, not pointing at anything that I'm not willing to destroy.

I know it's unloaded from step one, and I don't have OCD or problems with responsibility, this was just how I learned from my dad. Is this what you guys do?

We run the same drill here if the gun is not being kept at the ready for home defense. They are most certainly kept in reach and loaded. If one of the home defense guns comes off the ready line for anything other than an invasion, it gets the same drill.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I check when I pick up a gun or when one is handed to me. I have also been know to tell some folks who are handling guns to hand them over so I can check them because some people are just not safe and need a reminder.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No such thing as OCD when handling firearms, check every time you handle them. If you check every time you pick it up it become second nature. Safety first

Not true. When OCD you do things to go through the motion and usually not paying attention to other than you done the motions.
    No different with the robot moves with MOST people who "check their six" during shooting rituals. They simply turn their heads back without really looking at what is behind them.

See what is going on during your motions. :thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I EDC, so 99% of the time I am verifying my guns are loaded and charged, not clearing them, so safe handling is VERY real to me. If it isn't a firearm I use for defense it's locked and secured, and I'll clear it when I pick it up, and again if I have to disassemble it, or pull the trigger for any reason. Carry or HD guns get unloaded, ammo rotated, then cleared before maintenance. Unloading or loading are actions, not conditions, a gun can only be considered cleared(physically cleared by you), charged(charged and/or press check), or not cleared(you haven't verified/ unknown condition). A firearm is never unloaded, empty, full or loaded, those are mag conditions, and unless you have verified clear or charged yourself, any firearm is not cleared.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    2ca9m9-1-e1352341071857-539x341.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120