• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    So I was at my local gun shop today to pick up my completely stripped lower reciever today for a build. I told the gun shop employee my plans for the build, which were to make a dedicated .22lr pistol and possibly sbr it down the road. He then proceeds to tell me that I will have to bring it back in to have it registered as a pistol, because it is now considered a "restricted firearm". I have several ar lowers that I bought as stripped lowers and made pistols, one 80% lower that is a pistol without any serial numbers or markings on it. I have never heard of this so called new law until recently and was wondering if anyone else has any input for me. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    As long as a stripped lower is logged as an other....and not a rifle, it can me made into whatever you want, a pistol or a rifle....sbr is a different matter, ....."other" is done when you are doing the paperwork at the ffl......

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    If you bought a 100% completed AR15 lower receiver in Maryland, relax it's already registered

Well it's not a completed lower reciever, it's a stripped lower reciever. I do not want to throw this gun shop under the bus, they have been very good to me in the past. This just kinda bothered me. He also told me that's why you didnt need an hql to purchase a stripped lower, because it was meant to be built into a rifle and not a pistol. Once it was built into a pistol configuration then it would need to be registered as such.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Well it's not a completed lower reciever, it's a stripped lower reciever. I do not want to throw this gun shop under the bus, they have been very good to me in the past. This just kinda bothered me. He also told me that's why you didnt need an hql to purchase a stripped lower, because it was meant to be built into a rifle and not a pistol. Once it was built into a pistol configuration then it would need to be registered as such.

I meant a stripped lower receiver that was 100% milled as opposed to an 80%. You don't need an HQL but there is the MD form 77 and the 7 day wait. The state has in in it's data base. Build a pistol or a rifle no problem, you don't have to re-notify the state.
    By Federal law if you build it as a pistol first you can legally change it into a rifle and go back and forth. If you build it into a rifle first you can't change it into a pistol. If you decide to build a SBR you have to go by Federal NFA rules.
    Bottom line is whoever was telling you all that is uninformed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom