• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I set up my shotgun practice area to replicate the my house, specifically the sleeping quarter/likely 'bad guy path' interface. With a cylinder choke on the bird shot side and a laser, you might be surprised how easy it is to land pellets on the face/neck portion of an 11x20 silhouette gong even when out of breath and rushing the course in different scenarios. The follow-up tap to the body with a laser-equipped DP12 is far easier than with conventional shotties. I've also seen first hand what 00 does to steel lathe and plaster walls. In the ranges I'd be dealing with, bird shot first makes sense on the first shot. I wouldn't use slugs. YMMV

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Federal flight control 00. But Federal LE low recoil slugs are on the stock too. For grizzly, jic (lol).

(and more seriously, I prefer a full-sized 9mm semiautomatic pistol, penetration risks and all, as my first HD option given room layouts, personal proficiency/practice, and the desire to have a free hand with kids in the mix)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I practice most with an AR. My HD gun is almost everything people say it shouldn’t be. A home-built 10.5” AR in 5.56. Geissele B-GRF trigger. Suppressed. Red dot. Fenix PD-35 light. 40 round mags with Ballistic tip ammo. I can justify each and every decision that went into that rifle. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is no one correct answer.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    But can you jump, doing a flying somersault, and follow up with a rectum shot with that rig? ;-)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I practice most with an AR. My HD gun is almost everything people say it shouldn’t be. A home-built 10.5” AR in 5.56. Geissele B-GRF trigger. Suppressed. Red dot. Fenix PD-35 light. 40 round mags with Ballistic tip ammo. I can justify each and every decision that went into that rifle. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is no one correct answer.

Needs a bayonet.

:D

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    AT spitting range I don't think ammo type is going to matter too much. I think the flash boom, shock and awe will scare a perp into another direction.

I'm more concerned about where the round is going once it's out of the barrel. From my bed, area a certain amount of sweep will put rounds in my oldest kids room (through two walls). Then I have a sweet spot by the door before I risk taking out the plumbing in the bathroom or sweeping the younger kids room. Of course there's light wiring next to the door to try and avoid. My exterior walls are 10" of brick so no worries there.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    AT spitting range I don't think ammo type is going to matter too much. I think the flash boom, shock and awe will scare a perp into another direction.

I'm more concerned about where the round is going once it's out of the barrel. From my bed, area a certain amount of sweep will put rounds in my oldest kids room (through two walls). Then I have a sweet spot by the door before I risk taking out the plumbing in the bathroom or sweeping the younger kids room. Of course there's light wiring next to the door to try and avoid. My exterior walls are 10" of brick so no worries there.

Penetration studies are interesting, and often not what people expect.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    First 2 rounds out of the tube...#6 high brass...shoot them in the face, instant blindness...now they can't see you to attack...next round out of the tube low recoil 00 buck...Low recoil allows for a faster follow up shot...If multiple attackers each get a #6 to the face and 00 buck to center mass...I am not leaving anyone alive...I only want one side of the story told to the police...OH...and I don't call 911 for at least 10 minutes so they get a chance to bleed out...

That's always good to write on an open forum.....

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm not going to use anything smaller than the Federal #4 Tactical loads.

Once I learned to push forward with my left hand, recoil became much less of an issue. Even 12ga slugs aren't all that bad.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Short answer - NO .

For more data input , TNOutdoor9 has done testing with wide variety of shotgun loads, using his consistent testing methodology .

I am from being obsessed with deep penetration , but even I know that 2 inches is just deluding yourself. In the creative hypocrisy department , any vaguely strait faced discussion of " But what about shot sizes larger than 7.5 ? " would have to start with lead BB . ( Not in the generic vernacular context, but specifically lead pellets of .180 dia ) Still wouldn't be my recommendation , but with +/- 6in of penetration , it could be argued as being in same neighborhood as some pre-fragmented handgun rounds .

" But for Close Range ...." . Sure, but in this context , close range would need to mean Contact . Yes, if the muzzle is pressed directly against the body , the effect of the high pressure gasses directly into the wound channel creates much damage by itself, and increases the penetration of the shot . But taking only contact shots is not a viable Plan A .

You options should start with Buckshot . I know highly experienced people who swear by All Slugs, All the Time , and I can't dispute their real world results .

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015

What’s the argument against this set up? Not trolling

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not the Doc , but most likely referring to :

1. Use of NFA item
    2. Use of self built lower reciever
    3. Use of aftermarket trigger assy .

Amazingly he does not report simultaneously using Handloads ( humor used in this sentence ).

Inserting my observations and commentary , I would rank the ( areas of potential concern ) in that order .

Sirex