• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Not exactly. You can buy 2 handguns at one time without the designated collector's letter. Then you'd have to wait 60 days to buy something else. Just apply for the designated collector letter, it takes about 30 days and is free. That way you don't have to worry about Maryland's BS if a deal pops up.

It's free and it's Maryland. Everyone should do it because of these 2, usually mutually exclusive, things!
    Yeah I knew about the 60 days, so then I guess there's no wait time? And you can only get The collector type of weapons shipped directly to you correct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Yeah I knew about the 60 days, so then I guess there's no wait time? And you can only get The collector type of weapons shipped directly to you correct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

NO, doesn't affect the wait, background check or dealing through an FFL. It only affects the 1 gun per 30 day deal.

What you may be thinking of is the C&R license which is issued by the ATF and allows you to buy C&R eligible firearms direct to you. This license costs $30 for 3 years and is worthwhile having too if you are interested i older guns

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The C&R direct to you only applies for out of state purchases. If you buy in state, the same old chit applies, (77r, wait etc.) but no HQL required.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    NO, doesn't affect the wait, background check or dealing through an FFL. It only affects the 1 gun per 30 day deal.

What you may be thinking of is the C&R license which is issued by the ATF and allows you to buy C&R eligible firearms direct to you. This license costs $30 for 3 years and is worthwhile having too if you are interested i older guns
    I meant the 30-day wait time. I've tried to look for a limit. How many guns can you buy in any amount of time?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    You answered your own question , 30 days .
    What I'm saying is how many guns can you get with that letter? And do you still have to wait 30 days by your answer I'm guessing yes but how many firearms can you get in that 30 days

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Being a designated collector removes the quantity restriction on regulated firearms (handguns and some lower receivers). You need only apply for it. Once you receive the letter, you just file it away (make a second copy if you like). You will not have to show it to any dealer, at least I've never been asked to show it. You could buy 4 from one dealer and 18 from another dealer on the same day. Any handguns would still go through the waiting period, take possession on the 8th day with your not disapproval. Any long guns, assuming your 4473 is not delayed, could go home with you that day.

I have a link in my sig for the designated collector info.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Being a designated collector removes the quantity restriction on regulated firearms (handguns and some lower receivers). You need only apply for it. Once you receive the letter, you just file it away (make a second copy if you like). You will not have to show it to any dealer, at least I've never been asked to show it. You could buy 4 from one dealer and 18 from another dealer on the same day. Any handguns would still go through the waiting period, take possession on the 8th day with your not disapproval. Any long guns, assuming your 4473 is not delayed, could go home with you that day.

I have a link in my sig for the designated collector info.

Amen its the easiest and best thing I did. I pay for 1 77r and do as many as I want, same with ATF form, my FFL charged me 1x regardless of how many I buy.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Amen its the easiest and best thing I did. I pay for 1 77r and do as many as I want, same with ATF form, my FFL charged me 1x regardless of how many I buy.

And, the best thing is, you can drain your bank accounts and blow your credit card limits all on a single weekend if you wish. Buy 5 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. Three weekends, well, the OP should get the point. The whole one regulated firearm (handgun and some lower receivers) in 30 days or 2 in 60 days goes away with the designated collector.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    You do have a very nice arrangement

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I will add that you should not check the designated collector box on the form 77R until you have actually received your letter in the mail.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    And, the best thing is, you can drain your bank accounts and blow your credit card limits all on a single weekend if you wish. Buy 5 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday. Three weekends, well, the OP should get the point. The whole one regulated firearm (handgun and some lower receivers) in 30 days or 2 in 60 days goes away with the designated collector.
    Yeah that's why I was asking it didn't make sense for the 30-day wait. If you can get as many as you want.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

All my guns have been paid for many times over with my little side gig. No opposition from the spouse because it's "my" money ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps, I got thrown off track above .

The whole point of the DCL is to exempt from the one per 30days, bringing you in line with most of US . To be discussing limitations at all , made me think the topic was how many w/o a DCL .

Yes 7days for each one , but the waiting periods can overlap .

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Opps, I got thrown off track above .

The whole point of the DCL is to exempt from the one per 30days, bringing you in line with most of US . To be discussing limitations at all , made me think the topic was how many w/o a DCL .

Yes 7days for each one , but the waiting periods can overlap .
    Couple questions if you would, is the social required on The collector application? It's not required for the 77r so it doesn't State on the paper whether it is or isn't. All legal purposes is the the nature of collecting activities?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's been 5.5yrs , don't recall if social was on the form . All Lawful is popular, also somthing to effect of " for collecting modern handguns " is popular .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom