• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I got some of my stuff out of deep (off-premises) storage this weekend to clean, inspect, re-pack, etc. I thought that I'd take some photos and post them while this is going on. I'm only doing handguns now. Long guns will require some help that I don't have available this weekend.

I'll start with some of the Mak. and Mak.-sized stuff.

Attachments

• AA_Small_Guns_Lt.jpg
      AA_Small_Guns_Lt.jpg
      94.7 KB · Views: 406
    • AA_Small_Guns_Rt.jpg
      AA_Small_Guns_Rt.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 516

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    This is a grouping of Stars. They are (top - bottom / left - right):

• Star A converted to B
    • Two Star BMs, both ex Spanish secret police (CSP)
    • Two Star Bs, both ex Guardia Civil, and one with Union of South Africa cartouche
    • A Star BS; a Star M (with both early and late Guardia Civil markings on the gun and the magazine); a Star B Super. The Star M also has the name of an early Israeli fighter (later newspaper editor) engraved on it in Hebrew.

Attachments

• AA_Stars.jpg
      AA_Stars.jpg
      121.2 KB · Views: 509

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I need to do some clean out this weekend. Been meaning to for about 10 months, its actually a fairly large chore.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    now if i can just remember where i buried them....:innocent0

Attachments

• digging a hole.jpg
      digging a hole.jpg
      123 KB · Views: 476

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Now moving on to my favorite group -- the Argentines! Again, left - right /top - bottom:

• Ballester-Molina, Gendarmeria Nacionale
    • Sistema, Policia de la Provincia de Buenos Aires (Venturini .22LR modification)
    • Sistema, Policia Santa Fe (Province)

• Ballester-Molina, Armada Argentina (matching nos.,no import mark, German proofs)
    • Ballester-Molina, HOLY GRAIL ... British SOE WWII contract, matching, no import, British proofs, nearly perfect!
    • Sistema, Ejercito (Army), nearly perfect, no import marks, matching nos.

• Sistema, Ejercito presentation piece, early Peron administration era, all matching, no import marks.

• Argentine licensed copy of Hi Power (NIB)
    • Hartford Colt Government Model, very rare "M-" series sold to the Argentine Navy in two shipments of 79 each. Matching and no import marks.
    • Sistema - Plain old "shooter" grade Sistema with bubba sights on it, but no import marks and matching numbers. This gun shoots exceptionally well, with great trigger. Not sure if it's a U.S. or Argentine modification.

Attachments

• AA_Argentines.jpg
      AA_Argentines.jpg
      106.4 KB · Views: 484
    Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    mac,
    What are you using as a preservative?

Ballistol, primarily, but the main thing is they are multi-sealed with dessicant packs, and are stored in a secure facility that has very stable temp and humidity. Under controlled temps and humidity, the preservative isn't all that critical. Regular gun oil would be fine--especially if they are checked periodically.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Beautiful collection Machodoc.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been using Ballistol? I just picked up a can and will be using it on one of my cheaper rifles as a test. Hard to break away from the traditional Hoppes and Oil.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Now moving on to my favorite group -- the Argentines! Again, left - right /top - bottom:

• Ballester-Molina, Gendarmeria Nacionale
    • Sistema, Policia de la Provincia de Buenos Aires (Venturini .22LR modification)
    • Sistema, Policia Santa Fe (Province)

• Ballester-Molina, Armada Argentina (matching nos.,no import mark, German proofs)
    • Ballester-Molina, HOLY GRAIL ... British SOE WWII contract, matching, no import, British proofs, nearly perfect!
    • Sistema, Ejercito (Army), nearly perfect, no import marks, matching nos.

• Sistema, Ejercito presentation piece, all matching, no import marks.

• Argentine licensed copy of Hi Power (NIB)
    • Hartford Colt Government Model, very rare "M-" series sold to the Argentine Navy in two shipments of 79 each. Matching and no import marks.
    • Sistema - Plain old "shooter" grade Sistema with bubba sights on it, but no import marks and matching numbers. This gun shoots exceptionally well, with great trigger. Not sure if it's a U.S. or Argentine modification.

That is a damn sexy list....

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Beautiful collection Machodoc.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been using Ballistol? I just picked up a can and will be using it on one of my cheaper rifles as a test. Hard to break away from the traditional Hoppes and Oil.

About 3 years, I guess. It is very good at flowing over metal and clings to it rather tenaciously. But, as I stated earlier, temp and humidity control are much more important than what you have on the metal. Gun oil has worked very well for generations.

If the firearm has any noticeable freckling or other corrosion, I'll clean it carefully and store it with a coat of Kano Kroil.

I sometimes think that the average person uses solvents like Hoppes a bit too heavily. It's great stuff, but it's made to go on, get taken off very thoroughly, and then followed up with oil. If the gun hasn't been fired, more Hoppes isn't really necessary. More to the point, I've seen people use it as a replacement for oil. (Not suggesting at all that the OP would. I'm sure he knows better!) If you are using modern powder and primers, solvent isn't necessary for every cleaning, so long as you clean the piece after shooting.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    About 3 years, I guess. It is very good at flowing over metal and clings to it rather tenaciously. But, as I stated earlier, temp and humidity control are much more important than what you have on the metal. Gun oil has worked very well for generations.

If the firearm has any noticeable freckling or other corrosion, I'll clean it carefully and store it with a coat of Kano Kroil.

I sometimes think that the average person uses solvents like Hoppes a bit too heavily. It's great stuff, but it's made to go on, get taken off very thoroughly, and then followed up with oil. If the gun hasn't been fired, more Hoppes isn't really necessary. More to the point, I've seen people use it as a replacement for oil. (Not suggesting at all that the OP would. I'm sure he knows better!) If you are using modern powder and primers, solvent isn't necessary for every cleaning, so long as you clean the piece after shooting.

Thanks for the reply! Nice to hear that it has been working for you. Like you said, moisture is more of my battle.

Yeesh....solvent as oil sounds like a bad time. I guess I can understand why people would, hoppes does leave a oily residue behind.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    This is the last one for awhile. I didn't include the majority of my "modern" guns or my wife's stuff, nor did I include items like crusty stuff I've bought as part of a Sack O' Guns or Sack O' Parts. I need to clean these, check them out, and re-pack them.

Attachments

• AA_Misc_Stuff.jpg
      AA_Misc_Stuff.jpg
      125.2 KB · Views: 341

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would love to see your storage solutions for these.

Are you using racks? Just stacking them in bore store sleeves?

Struggling with my handgun collection and how to store. Right now just have them stacked up in bore stores.

Jul 1, 2012
    I just started using Armory Racks.

http://www.armoryracks.com/Products/Multi-Gun-Racks

on the face of it a bit pricey, but when you add up the cost of all those Bore Stores, very competitively priced.
    They allow you to pull a complete tray out and carry it, which makes it easier to move stuff.
    Keeps the pistols from banging around like they might in an "open style" rack.
    Also enough space underneath the pistols so you can store things - like another pistol in a Bore Store, or mags, etc.
    Owner is an avid collector, and designed to his specs.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Provided you have a safe place to lock them up, and you can find them in top-notch condition, these can be very handy cases for sealed storage. I'm very fortunate that I have access to a secure, temp/humidity controlled, place where I can keep a stack of these. The key thing is to remember that the atmosphere inside the case is what you put there, so pack it DRY, add plenty of dessicant packs, and I use humidity indicator cards, too.

ammocanlg_3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom