• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    everything decent should move out of bloodymore and let the rest fend for themselves.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I wish they would move it out of Maryland. Then Stanley Cup games wouldn't get preempted so that we can watch idiots get drunk and race blue crabs for 8 freaking hours.

Like the world needed more proof that the people of Baltimore are complete morons.

The same company that owns Pimlico and Laurel also owns a track in Florida. Move the race to Florida.

If they ended all the taxpayer subsidies to the industry and let the free market rule, horse racing would have went the way of the covered wagon a long time ago........having been to both, I do not find the experience at either Laurel or Pimlico very enjoyable...........

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    If they ended all the taxpayer subsidies to the industry and let the free market rule, horse racing would have went the way of the covered wagon a long time ago........having been to both, I do not find the experience at either Laurel or Pimlico very enjoyable...........

I've never gotten it. What a thrill it is to watch a pack of horse meat with midgets mounted on them run around a dirt track. Then after it's over you get to cry about losing your bet.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Heard yesterday that state law requires that our GA vote on any potential move first.

Preakness isn't going anywhere any time soon.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Horse racing, the horse farms in Baltimore County and Pimlico are all intertwined. The big horse farms are mostly out of state now, having started their exodus way back in the 70's. Folks sold their horse farms to developers.

Timonium racing was a place for average Joe's with a hope and a dream to bring their not-quite-thoroughbreds to compete. Timonium was a training ground for jockeys, trainers and horse owners. As interest in the sport declined, so did Timonium.

Pimlico is still considered the only "real" racetrack in Maryland. Unfortunately, the value of horses that race there exceed the value of the track itself. It is not unusual for breeders and trainers to hire their own horsemen (euphemism for security personnel) when they bring a horse at a Maryland race track. I think that Belmont has similar problems.

Kentucky is where folks serious about racing have moved. The talent (trainers, jockeys, real horsemen and women) have long since moved to Kentucky.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Heard yesterday that state law requires that our GA vote on any potential move first.

Preakness isn't going anywhere any time soon.

All it takes is for the owners of Pimlico to decide it is time to pull the plug and put the shutters on it....GA would be forced to act.....land could be developed into some flammable retail space for future looting excursions........

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    All it takes is for the owners of Pimlico to decide it is time to pull the plug and put the shutters on it....GA would be forced to act.....land could be developed into some flammable retail space for future looting excursions........

I think its time to pull the plug on Baltimore. 2/3rds of the city is a wasteland.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    This sounds like a ploy to get the city to pay for improvements just like an NFL team that wants a new stadium.

Well why not.....if the taxpayers can foot the bill for something that gets used 8 times a year why not force the taxpayers to toss money at something that gets used once a year.......:sad20:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    This sounds like a ploy to get the city to pay for improvements just like an NFL team that wants a new stadium.

Maryland State Gov't pumped hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies to update facilities and increase the purse at Pimlico and Laurel during the 90's and until about 10 years ago when they stopped.

The race tracks don't employ enough folks or bring in enough business to Maryland to justify these subsidies. Go to the track at Laurel or Pimlico on any weekday when they are racing. The grandstands and betting areas are empty. Folks just don't go to the track to gamble anymore.

If the tracks could bring in Preakness crowds 6 to 8 times a year, the subsidies would return.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Maryland State Gov't pumped hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies to update facilities and increase the purse at Pimlico and Laurel during the 90's and until about 10 years ago when they stopped.

The race tracks don't employ enough folks or bring in enough business to Maryland to justify these subsidies. Go to the track at Laurel or Pimlico on any weekday when they are racing. The grandstands and betting areas are empty. Folks just don't go to the track to gamble anymore.

If the tracks could bring in Preakness crowds 6 to 8 times a year, the subsidies would return.

The problem is that the time between races it is boring as hell. When I used to go to the track I pretty much had my races handicapped that morning, just needing the late scratches...the 3-4 minutes of a race are pretty exciting....the rest of the time not so much....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Baltimore Jewish community would love for the Preakness to be moved to Laurel. The Preakness is infamous for spawning drunk drivers, and that's never a good thing with a whole bunch of Orthodox Jews walking about to/from shul on Saturday/Shabbos, and driving back Saturday night.

But I tend to agree with cantstop: horse racing is dying as a sport, and the race tracks are taking up a lot of room that could be put to far more productive use.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I believe it was in the Washington comPost last week in Andrew Beyer's column (he's pretty much the only one there who writes about horse racing) where he stated that structural engineers had determined a few years ago that all of the buildings at Pimlico were too old and frail to withstand any sort of refurbishing and that a total tear-down and rebuild would be needed. Also, if you look at the available land for future expansion, Laurel has way more acreage to build upon. And the transportation issue, Laurel is by far easier to get to and from for those not local.

In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the Preakness is moved. Tradition and the "old boy network" are what's keeping it in Baltimore.

I'd love to provide a link to the column but I'm posting from my phone right now.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I've owned racehorses for many years and attend the races often. Never used to run much on the MD circuit, except for the Stakes races (only a few times have I ever had a horse good enough to compete in those) since the purses were never good enough to justify it. Things have changed for the better over the past few years or so, slowly more breeders are coming back into the area. Things are much better than they were a few years ago, that's for sure. Pimlico is an historic track, the second oldest in the Country. In my opinion, the Preakness will never be moved. Because if the Preakness is ever moved, the Triple Crown would no longer be the Triple Crown. The most coveted prize and honor in horse racing, even moreso than the Breeders Cup.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Go to the track at Laurel or Pimlico on any weekday when they are racing. The grandstands and betting areas are empty. Folks just don't go to the track to gamble anymore.

The problem is that the time between races it is boring as hell. When I used to go to the track I pretty much had my races handicapped that morning, just needing the late scratches...the 3-4 minutes of a race are pretty exciting....the rest of the time not so much....

But I tend to agree with cantstop: horse racing is dying as a sport, and the race tracks are taking up a lot of room that could be put to far more productive use.

Maybe horse racing alone just isn't interesting enough.

What if we brought back jousting? It is supposed to be Maryland's official state sport, after all...

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    The chain I work for had me a mile or so from the track for almost a year. The demographics of the area vs the demographics of who goes to Preakness was hilarious. One of my coworkers put it best "None of you belong down here. Only a matter of time before one of ya gets hurt." That was a decade ago.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Half-cocked;3825990[B said:
    ]Maybe horse racing alone just isn't interesting enough.
    [/B]
    What if we brought back jousting? It is supposed to be Maryland's official state sport, after all...

Maybe, thoroughbreds are boring.........harness/chariot racing is more fun IMO. Awesome wrecks, they should be required to carry plastic explosives and 5 gal of gas. :thumbsup:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Oh my. Have you ever watched the sport of competitive jousting? Folks on horseback spearing increasingly smaller circular rings for points. It's as boring as it sounds.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Oh my. Have you ever watched the sport of competitive jousting? Folks on horseback spearing increasingly smaller circular rings for points. It's as boring as it sounds.

Well yeah, it is. I prefer the other form of jousting where they are trying to knock each other off of a horse with a blunted lance. THAT is one helluva show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom