• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I took my new (to me) Star B out to the range for the first time today. Put about 50 rounds through it without an issue. Then, the pin pops up and the external extractor flies off of the gun into the grass and cannot be found. I'll have to order one and still have the tiny extractor spring. What would cause this malfunction? Is this what occurs when the extractor goes bad? I noticed that during the first 30 or so rounds, that the spent brass wasn't "gouged" with the typical extractor mark usually seen on the spent brass rim.

Or, could this be another issue? Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

I also remember reading somewhere on here about a good place to buy "Star B" parts, but cannot locate the thread?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pin walking out (due to wear), makes sense to me.

New extractor, new pin, new spring (cheap insurance) - problem solved.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So it looks like you might be buying some parts from Gun Parts Corp and some from APEX to get the pin and the extractor. Little hint... check the facebook page of Gun Parts Corp on Weds for free shipping that day for small parts ($6.50 off which is free). I always seem to be ordering something for one of my many "project" guns.

Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    When Gunparts had them in stock, I had ordered and received two extractors for the Model B.
    Neither of them fit, nor could be modified to fit.
    They refunded with no problem.

Sep 18, 2013
    Towson
    I had one pin walk out just enough to startle me when I saw it.
    When I got home, I reinstalled it using just a drop of blue threadlock.
    It never moved again, but the next time I disassembled it, it came right apart and cleaned up easily.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    So it looks like you might be buying some parts from Gun Parts Corp and some from APEX to get the pin and the extractor. Little hint... check the facebook page of Gun Parts Corp on Weds for free shipping that day for small parts ($6.50 off which is free). I always seem to be ordering something for one of my many "project" guns.

Or you can call them any day of the week and get a coupon code for I believe $4.50 off shipping.

Plus, make sure you send them your C&R to get a dealer account....

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I had extraction issues on mine as well, I cant recall where I read it but it was about using a spring on the extractor that was stronger than the original to help with extraction issues due to the original spring was too weak. iirc it was a spring from a FAL. or some such.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    Installed the new extractor. Had to slowly dremel off a tiny bit of steel on both sides to get the new one seated properly. Locktite the pin in place, let's hope for the best. The extractor is supposed to be slightly angled inward on the frame towards the hook end, as a result of the extractor spring correct? There is a little gap at the end of the extractor on the frame at the hook end, but I looked at a bunch of photos and this seems correct?...Time for a range test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom