• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    I have the Mossberg International 17HMR. Extremely light as it is an all-polymer stock. Crisp Trigger. Easy to shoot for my kids: 12 and 7. I would not recommend it at this point as it had a lot of problems with FTF-FTE. I sent it back to Mossberg and they said they fixed the problem without telling me what it was. The problem was not fixed. I have a friend who is a Gunsmith and he checked it out. The extractor spring was bent in a way that it would not grip the spent round. He fixed that. Now it shoots fine. I did have some problems with CCI 17HMR TNT. The extractor does not like those shells. Very fine lip. Also had to be sure to lube the spring inside the magazine. It would stick and feed the rounds at a weird angle causing damage to the shell or a FTF.

I'm going to play with it in 2 weeks as I haven't touched it in over a year. I'll write back with any updates on performance as the kids shot it mostly. i only checked it for function.

Attachments

• moss17mhr.jpg
      moss17mhr.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 293

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Also a ton of info on triggers on rimfirecentral.com in the stickeys for the CZ forum. Poor mans trigger job can be done for next to nothing. Also a #144 spring from Ace hardware or # 161A and 162A from Fastenal. I also have the Yo Dave kit, very good. If you have, or are thinking about a CZ rimfire you need to go to rimfirecental.com.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I love my 93r17. Flat,fast and fun too shoot. The new CCI A17 ammo is interesting, got some at WM for $50/200 round brick. The only question with the 17WSM is only two rifle are out for it, savage bmag(in 3 flavors) and the ruger 77/17. The round is great. I would go that way if I didn't have one.

schnmbang

Aug 23, 2014
    I have a marlin 917vs I got About ten years ago and I still use it to hunt ground hogs. Very accurate with 20 grain hp

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I love my 93r17. Flat,fast and fun too shoot. The new CCI A17 ammo is interesting, got some at WM for $50/200 round brick. The only question with the 17WSM is only two rifle are out for it, savage bmag(in 3 flavors) and the ruger 77/17. The round is great. I would go that way if I didn't have one.

Winchester and Franklin Armory also have rifles chambered for the WSM, but they're still not very plentiful. I think the Franklin ones are actually built to order, but I may be mistaken.

A day may come when more common rifles exist for it, and the ammo has been picked up by various manufacturers as has happened with the HMR. Should that happen, I can see myself getting one or two and having some fun with it.

As I get older, though, I plan purchases based on whether I can take it on a road trip, do some form of hunting with it, and find ammo locally to where I'm going. HMR, you bet. WSM, not yet.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Varminter online. Com has reviewed the FA semi.auto wsm. Looked real nice,but pricey. That another good source for small caliber reviews.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The only thing that is (bad and i use it loosely) is the 11mm dovetail base. You have to order scope mounts for the most part. Most places dont carry 11mm bases.

Not really a big issue. Order some Talley rings and they will fit the dove tail. BKL rings are OK for both 3/8 and 1mm dovetails, just flip the attachment piece. Lots of good scope ring info on rimfirecentral not only fir but height as well as the CZ's have a high bolt throw. Or just order the clunky rings from CZUSA.com

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I took a Savage 93r in 17hmr out to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs. Lasered one at 250 yards. Hit him with the first round and he fell over dead. Before I could laugh at how cartoony it was three of his buddies started eating him. I then shot all three of those guys.

At 250 laser confirmed yards.

With a rimfire.

I love mine.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Shot the Mossberg 817 International last week. I still have some feed issues related to the magazine as the round doesn't always exit the mag at the proper angle. i put 50 rounds through. properly sighted in. I had no problems with ejection this time. Consistency and grouping were acceptable. Bolt is still a beast to drop into the closed position. i will keep it but still wouldn't recommend it. I will play with it a bit more to see if I can work out the tight bolt movement.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    I might be a little late to this party R-Ball but....

I was hunting all over hell for 22LR ammo and kept noticing plenty of 17HMR for sale... often cheaper than the 22LR if I could find it so........

I acquired a Henry Golden Boy (lever action) calibered in 17HMR and just love using the shouldered bullet for any shootin' plus..... I don't have to kiss @ss for 22LRs any more. :)

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I bought a Marlin 917 about 2 years ago during the panic. Honestly the only reason I did was I was bass pro and saw the ammo on the shelf while looking for 22. I for whatever reason thought it was just a cool looking little round and bought the rifle to justify buying the ammo. Little did I know it is truly a fun rifle to shoot. Accurate as all heck.

Now thanks to Dave, I'm going to have to look into that Henry lever gun! Lol

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Well, from what I have seen so far, the .17 HMR is the perfect tool for removing piles of feral cats from one's property. Kitty parts and red spray flying through the air. Seeing more squirrels and bunnies now! Here kitty kitty!!!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    A Remington 597 laminate stock, bull barreled semi that blew up while I was shooting it.

RGRamjet, I had a 597 in 17hmr and when Remlin issued the recall where they would give you $200 credit toward another Remlin gun, I told them to pack sand! After a while they offered to have my 597 re-barreled in .22 mag shipping both ways on their dime. That is what I did. Just an FYI.

Now have a Marlin XT-17VR and its a shooter!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom