• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Thought I'd relay this information in case it may help someone else. Assuming I'm not the *only* person on the planet who didn't already know this!

My son goes to college in Texas, so except for a couple of months in the summer, that's where he lives. However, his home of record remains in Maryland.

We're looking at going duck hunting while he's home for Christmas break, but he doesn't have a hunting license. So I called & spoke with a very nice woman at MD DNR Police who said that he can take the Texas Hunter Safety course & use that certification to get his MD resident hunting license.

I also came across an article published yesterday in a Texas newspaper, reporting that the TX legislature had passed a streamlined hunter safety course process and after successful testing over the summer, it was being implemented state-wide as of 19SEP13.

So. Texas now offers a 100% online hunter safety course that requires NO field day testing for people 17 years old and above.

Here's the link to the Texas Parks & Wildlife website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/outdoor...get-your-texas-hunter-education-certification

Then click on "Online Course for Complete Certification."

Of the two online sources that offer the course, one costs a total of $29, with the other coming in at $18.

Since hunter safety courses are reciprocal from state to state, this may be an option for some folks here who may just now be thinking they'd like to give hunting a try this season, but are unable to find a local class with availability.

That said...

When my son gets home for Christmas, I'll take him out and drill him myself on things normally covered in the field day exercises for shooting safety, carrying safety, etc. If I'm going to be hunting with him, I don't want to leave MY safety to a .com, hoping they did it right.

I would encourage EVERYONE to take these hunter safety courses seriously, and not as a necessary evil to get your license. When I took it I skipped the online version, and went the full course route because I knew I would also learn far more than just what's in the book. I also met a few people that are now hunting buddies.

Nevertheless, this is an option that some people may be able to consider.

11SEP15 Update: MD accepts Hunter Safety cards from ALL STATES to satisfy HQL training requirement.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Have you done any research to determine whether that 17+ all-online course is available to only those residing in Texas?

I looked at the websites it doesn't say you have to be a resident of TX it just says 17 and older...I contacted/sent an email on the first link and asked about residency requirement..

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I looked at the websites it doesn't say you have to be a resident of TX it just says 17 and older...I contacted/sent an email on the first link and asked about residency requirement..

Maryland DNR Police told me that he (a MD resident) could take that class & use it for a Maryland Resident hunting permit. So I don't know why any other MD resident couldn't take it and use it the same way. There was no stipulation that I had to prove he was in Texas or for how many months out of the year he lived there.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Maryland DNR Police told me that he (a MD resident) could take that class & use it for a Maryland Resident hunting permit. So I don't know why any other MD resident couldn't take it and use it the same way. There was no stipulation that I had to prove he was in Texas or for how many months out of the year he lived there.

Its a good deal for anyone if theres no residency requirement. Which I don't think there is.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Its a good deal for anyone if theres no residency requirement. Which I don't think there is.

It'll be interesting to see what/if you hear back from the course about the residency.

Did you also notice on that first website that Texas allows you to get a license without taking the course at all by taking a one-year safety course deferral? Hunt now, take the safety course next year. Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't think they're offering that option without having the data to prove it's safe.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Went to the first link changed texas to Maryland and got this

http://www.hunter-ed.com/maryland/

Says you need to still attend a field day

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk 2

that's because its the MD hunters ed...the OP is about TX hunters ED which has no field day requirement...once completed you have a valid hunters ed certificate which is reciprocal to MD...basically a loophole to circumvent the field day and classroom time...if theres no residency requirement for the TX hunters ed requirement...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It'll be interesting to see what/if you hear back from the course about the residency.

Did you also notice on that first website that Texas allows you to get a license without taking the course at all by taking a one-year safety course deferral? Hunt now, take the safety course next year. Not sure how I feel about that, but I don't think they're offering that option without having the data to prove it's safe.

I received an email...they didn't know..and said to call TX parks and wildlife...I'll call them or email them Monday...It appears to be a loophole though...but Im not a fish and game officer:innocent0:D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Aprentice Hunting Licenses are now very common nationwide. It's a Maryland thing to not offer one.

Typicaly , holders of Aprentice Lic.are required to hunt only inder the direction of experienced hunter. In Va you must obtain HS within 2yrs.

This is a wonderful idea ( at least presuming you wish to reverse the decline in hunting numbers ) . If wekd had this in Md , I would have started a bunch of new hunters over the years. ( Insert usual rant of discrimination against shift and weekend workers ).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Aprentice Hunting Licenses are now very common nationwide. It's a Maryland thing to not offer one.

Typicaly , holders of Aprentice Lic.are required to hunt only inder the direction of experienced hunter. In Va you must obtain HS within 2yrs.

This is a wonderful idea ( at least presuming you wish to reverse the decline in hunting numbers ) . If wekd had this in Md , I would have started a bunch of new hunters over the years. ( Insert usual rant of discrimination against shift and weekend workers ).

Other States actually encourage people to hunt. We are in Maryland. They don't want your kids to participate in any activity that involves a firearm. Maryland won't do anything to make it any easier. It would be better for Dear Leader if you kids would just participate in some other State sanctioned activity.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Other States actually encourage people to hunt. We are in Maryland. They don't want your kids to participate in any activity that involves a firearm. Maryland won't do anything to make it any easier. It would be better for Dear Leader if you kids would just participate in some other State sanctioned activity.

yeah like applying for welfare:sad20::sad20:

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    This may solve a problem for my oldest son. He is not a hunter but I want to take him and my younger son, an active duty soldier, duck hunting this year. My younger son can get the three day waterfowl license but I didn't think my other son, with work and school, would be able to take the hunter course and find a field day before December. I will tell him of this course. It is kind of funny because he lived in Texas for two years and returned her to finish school.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm curious if MD will recognize it for the training requirement for the HQL.

If its an approved hunters ed course...by the state of TX they (MD) should. The only question right now is if you have to be a resident of TX to take that course or if anyone over 17 can take it...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I finally got to talk to a person from TX parks and wildlife. She said it "shouldn't" require residency to complete the course. You just have to look at the links and make sure they don't require a field day and if they do you have to contact whichever course you took to see how to get around that since its not required.

but she basically said you have to be over 17 and it takes a couple weeks to get your permanent card in the mail. once you complete the course you pay the fee... you will/should get a temp certificate and to keep that with you in a ziplock bag or something to keep the temp certificate from getting damaged/lost/etc...

The 100% online course is only a week old so they are getting the kinks out of it. So for you guys that cant find a class or field day its worth a shot

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    Nice follow up Wilcam47, thanks! This will be the course my son will use to get his MD hunting license, and since I believe he'll be a TX resident shortly after graduating, he doesn't have to worry about any of the MD nonsense.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Another follow up...I emailed TX parks and wildlife they say all you have to be is 17yrs or older...NO residency requirement. So this is good for those who don't have the time for field day etc...or cant get to a class because its too late or full. Good luck! And happy hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom