• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Considering buying an M16 sear jig just in case I need the hole on my M16 lower re-drilled. I know that after loads of rounds sometimes the sear hole can get slightly elongated and cause issues. Only seen it once but, could happen.

Anyway, was thinking of buying one of these alignment jigs just in case I need the hole re-drilled by a gunsmith. Rather make sure it is placed correctly and done right. Especially with the cost of the M16.

I am told buying the jig is not illegal and I do NOT plan to use it other than to repair my M16 if need be.

Not looking to do anything illegal, just wondering if it would be a good idea or forget it.

Thoughts?

Dave

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    If gunsmith is the one repairing like you say, wouldn't it be his responsibility and decision to procure / use a jig or not?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Both are very good points. I considered that. It is not like the jigs are expensive so, I would figure the gunsmith would have one. Just not a routine repair so, from that point of view, I thought they might not.

Dave

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I would not be worried at all about the ATF. You have a MG so anything you own can be justified to be part of that. Now obviously don't do stupid stuff...

The issue with the ATF gets to having enough parts to convert the AR15 to a M16. If you have a M16, you already have all the FA parts. I assume you own a drill... so what is having a Jig? Not really any more than you already have. Hell, one could possibly use the M16 you already have as a jig to convert another gun...

That said I do try and separate out the FA stuff and keep it together. I try to make sure I have 16"+ uppers installed on my AR15s at all times so it does not look like I might be dropping on the SBR uppers that I only use on my M16.

However I would not stress it unless you know you are doing something stupid and then I would advise against it.

That said, I have heard that many of the jigs are not accurate anyway and that is why many of the M16 conversions legally done before 1986 don't have the whole in the right spot.

Without knowing how good of a welder you are, I would suggest that whoever you send it to to reweld the hole, can more than handle drilling the hole back in the receiver. You will probably want them to re-anodize it anyway.

So while I would say not to worry about getting it, I would also suggest to you that its not worth your time/money. These jigs are only really worth getting for SOTs making post samples....

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Are you talking about the factory autosear hole in the receiver? I've NEVER seen or heard of that getting any kind of wear, ever. Ever.

If you're running a 9mm kit with a nonramped bolt, I've heard of hammer pin holes getting egged out or ovalized over time, but that's all. With the exception of unramped 9mm bolts,the AR receiver is a fairly low-wear environment

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Are you talking about the factory autosear hole in the receiver? I've NEVER seen or heard of that getting any kind of wear, ever. Ever.

If you're running a 9mm kit with a nonramped bolt, I've heard of hammer pin holes getting egged out or ovalized over time, but that's all. With the exception of unramped 9mm bolts,the AR receiver is a fairly low-wear environment

Only hear of it once or twice after real heavy use. Not that pronounced but the pin had a hard time staying in. This was before anti-walk pins came into play.

Dave

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    The anti walk pins are for the hammer and trigger pins, not the autosear pin hole. That pin gets essentially zero wear. Only the smallest touch on the autosear trip from the bottom of the bolt carrier, and that force is just enough to trip the disconnecter to drop the hammer. The autosear pin hole will literally be THE last thing to wear out on anM16

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    The anti walk pins are for the hammer and trigger pins, not the autosear pin hole. That pin gets essentially zero wear. Only the smallest touch on the autosear trip from the bottom of the bolt carrier, and that force is just enough to trip the disconnecter to drop the hammer. The autosear pin hole will literally be THE last thing to wear out on anM16

They make an anti-walk for the sear pin. I have one. It normally does not take a beating but I have seen the hole loosen up and the pin come loose. Only once but have seen it.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom