• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why not try to answer the original question? I said nothing about running that 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine in a 5.56 rifle. If someone in Maryland owns a .50 Beowulf rifle in md, could they buy a 10 round .50 Beowulf magazine for that rifle in md. That is the question.

My guess would be if the mag has a standard 5.56/223 follower, it will be an illegal mag. If you buy the AA mag, the follower is different and my guess would be that it is legal.

IANAL and this statement is worth exactly what you paid for it. I am not offering you any advice in this matter, I'm just giving you my opinion on this matter.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I couldn't even get Recoil Gunworks to ship me a 12 round Sig P229 magazine in .40 cal. The customer service guy told me that the State of Maryland has been suing out of state gun dealers? Is this bull*** or is Maryland really suing out of state dealers? I would love to find out since that would be a terrible waste of taxpayer dollars.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I couldn't even get Recoil Gunworks to ship me a 12 round Sig P229 magazine in .40 cal. The customer service guy told me that the State of Maryland has been suing out of state gun dealers? Is this bull*** or is Maryland really suing out of state dealers? I would love to find out since that would be a terrible waste of taxpayer dollars.

Whether Md is actively pursuing out of state sellers or not
    Why in the world would you expect them to send you a 12 round when it's clearly illegal to do so ????

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Why would even try to order something you know is illegal to have shipped into the state? Then why would you admit it here? These are things that will get you banned.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    There shouldn't be any exemptions...either its legal for ALL or illegal for ALL. Always talk from liberals about different classes of people being carved out...well there's an example right there.

eurocarnut

Jul 28, 2010
    Police officers are exempt. But that doesn't change how some retailers feel about shipping here.

The retailer probably feels law enforcement should be held to the same laws as the citizens it polices hence why a lot of companies have refused to sell to various LEO agencies.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    The rationale is probably simple - the risk of lawsuit versus the small reward is just not worth the business - regardless of exception. Can't say I blame them. Everyone suffers from this silliness.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Where in the law do I find that condition codified?

It is called constructive intent. If I had a 10.5" AR barrel and no lower that could legally take it, the ATF could charge me with constructive intent to build an unregistered SBR.

Having the parts to build something that would be illegal, even if you haven't yet, is illegal.

Since all I have are post ban AR-15 lowers, if I was in possession of a 16"+ barrel that wasn't of a heavy profile, MD could potentially charge me with constructive intent as I don't have anything that could legally take it (and things that could illegally take it).

So buying a magazine for a weapon configuration you don't own, but can be used in a weapon configuration you do own and happens to then have a capacity of more than 10 rounds, MD states attorney is probably going to argue you bought a 30 round magazine, which is illegal to do in Maryland.

If you have a Beowulf, buy Beowulf mags if they are labeled as such as you can find someone who will seek or ship them to you. Otherwise take a trip across the boarder and purchase them and bring them back. Stay within the law.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The rationale is probably simple - the risk of lawsuit versus the small reward is just not worth the business - regardless of exception. Can't say I blame them. Everyone suffers from this silliness.

Actually in this case if it turned out that they were a private citizen and not exempt from the ban and the company solid it to them, why would Maryland sue them? They can go after them for criminal penalities. If they do business in to the state, they can face criminal prosecution for violating the law.

So yeah, I understand why no company would risk criminal exposure and unless they could be positive they'd be fine.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Police officers are exempt. But that doesn't change how some retailers feel about shipping here.

I'm curious why you wouldn't just say this at the outset.

It reminds of why so many people "fear" the police. There's overwhelmingly more "good" officers than bad but the ones that always seem to a gotchya hook in everything they say make people apprehensive to speak to any of you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm curious why you wouldn't just say this at the outset.

It reminds of why so many people "fear" the police. There's overwhelmingly more "good" officers than bad but the ones that always seem to a gotchya hook in everything they say make people apprehensive to speak to any of you.

Because generally anyone with a MDS handle of "lawdog" is 99% sure to be a LEO. If people can't put 1 and 1 together then they should ask instead of assuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom