• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leBjA

Mar 2, 2013
    Anyone from MD cleaned up and re-touched a CMP Garand stock?

I've been told i've got some dry spots and I can tell there are some inconsistend spots of stain.

I'd like to keep it in good condition without having to refurb the whole stock to keep some of it's original character. Just want to clean her up and well oiled. Yes I understand areas will be worn from use and where hand grease and oil color and stain the wood.

I know there is a ton of info on CMP's site and forum about this but looking for trusted local experience that I could "DIY" without too much of a headache.

You can see where there is a tape stain/border around the butt stock and the action. Those are the main areas I'm trying to even out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6uQrrfBvr1PwXcJQ2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FzMXyBr8FUvz1CB63

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NRxmm41xP18H6xGj1

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks great!

I would maybe hand rub some tung oil or linseed into it and nothing more. No stain. No stain. Garand stocks weren't stained, just dipped in vats of tung oil. Linseed oil was authorized for maintanance.

If you do an "advanced search" for "posts made by Threeband" with "tung oil" as a keyword, you're bound to find something.

Those tape marks are not bad, just part of the history. Trying to make them disappear will just harm the stock, and devalue it.

I had a bit of masking tape on an HRA stock that left a visible mark even after oiling, but that's just part of the character.

Do you know what those dimple patterns are? Some soldier tried to "settle" the rounds in a clip by bashing the bullet points against the wood. I always like seeing that on a stock.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some great threads on Garand stock work over on CMP Forums.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It looks like the mark around the magazine area represent an area of unfaded finish, where something protected the finish from sunlight or something. Could be tape or a label.

I think I would just clean it with pure tung oil, rubbing and scrubbing with an oily cloth or even paper towels, removing most of the oil you're using. That should gently clean it and oil it at the same time.

If you decide to mess with stains you could try mixing some alcohol based leather dye such as Fiebings into the tung oil and try blending the areas around the discoloration, but I doubt the variation will ever disappear entirely. I would wait and read and learn before using stain or using anything more than pure tung oil.

I'm not an expert by any means, and as Pinecone noted there's a LOT of information about stock refinishing out there.

Go slow and don't be in a hurry to "fix" it, because it really isn't broken.

DO NOT use Oven Cleaner on it. Do Not put it in the dishwasher.

Don't be in a hurry to do anything. They are not making any more genuine USGI walnut Garand stocks, so that collectible stock will only increase in value. If it really bugs you swap it with someone who got a brand new walnut replacement.

---
    DANGER FROM OILY RAGS - Rags soaked in Tung Oil or Linseed Oil can spontaneously combust and burn down your house. You can spread them out flat to dry outdoors. You can put them in a sealed paint can with some water. You can toss them in your neighbor's trash on a moonless night. You can use bits of paper towel and flush them down the toilet, which is what I do.

-----

Tung Oil - Use real tung oil, not the varnish marked as "tung oil finish" and sold in stores. Here's where I got mine:

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/oils/pure-tung-chinawood/

8 oz. is plenty, but you might get a pint.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I always start clean ups of old stocks by spraying them with a vinegar and water solution to and use a rag while it's still wet to try to strip off the old top finish. I go on from there to stronger solvents but it's amazing how often that's all it takes.

And it leaves the stock feeling as fresh as a spring day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom