• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Same experience here. Five or so transactions using the Golden Ring barracks. No problems on their end, aside from that one pistol that I was selling (bought from an IP) that was reported stolen 6 months after I bought it. :o They were more than helpful throughout that whole debacle, and the one trooper jokes with me now, asking if "this one is stolen too?" :D
    LEOs tend to remember stuff like that... And empathy for the victims of other people's carelessness is not uncommon.
    For private sales or buys...I'll stick with the $10 MSP transfers myself.

Handgun transfers from some IP's here (info from their websites):
    Duffy's - $100
    Blue Fins - $45
    Tyler Firearms - $60 for mds members
    Engage Armament - $75
    Scott's Gunsmithing - $85
    United - $50
    Bollinger - $40
    Freestate - $85
    I never understood why these charges are so high... Unless the FFL simply does not want to be bothered... So they set a price that keeps transfers away... :shrug:
    Liability issue for sure.

The one time at GR, the Sargent was directing a pursuit on I-95 while also handling the transfer....it was actually quite comical to me, the average Joe...Comical because what I would think is a big deal, regarding several Troopers chasing a car, was nothing to him...he'd hand me a paper, then give some orders on the radio, then hand me some papers, etc....I actually said, "Hey I'm in no hurry, and it looks like you're a little busy"... He said, "No problem. We'll get you outta here." :lol2:

Yepper, I've actually worked the same position myself (not handling transfers) dealing with the civilian public while supervising actions via radio. It becomes simple multi-tasking after a while.

As for the Troopers at Barracks R (Goldering), they have always been helpful and decent to me and other folks (read non LEO) who I know, when doing transfers.

The only thing they ask of us ... Is... Don't drop by for a transfer during their busiest time of day. Their rush hours are a lot to handle and they need to pay attention so someone doesn't get hurt or killed. Slower times of the day are preferred times for transfer paperwork.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you go through an FFL who will do "Secondary Sales" this is what you can expect:

1. FFL WILL NOT take possession of firearm
    2. FFL will fax in application
    3. FFL will collect app fee and send in with copy of 77R-2
    4. Items required to be submitted with application:
    - Photocopy of buyers and sellers photo-ID
    - Photocopy of HQL (if applicable)
    - Photocopy of app payment or itemized list of secondary sales
    5. FFL will return the application to the seller

At that point FFL is done with process. Seller will get letter notification from MSP that authorizes transfer.

Not my experience.

I met seller at FFL.
    Inspected handgun.
    Paid seller
    FFL took possession of the handgun
    I filled out 77R and paperwork
    FFL handled the paperwork.
    Pikced up from FFL 8 days or so later.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For the same reason they don't allow civilians to perform other functions involving unknown persons with firearms. The firearm involved must be vetted and the Trooper is needed for that part of the process. Do you want the State to pay two people to handle the transfer or just one? It is NOT merely a clerical job. And it would be unsafe and unwise to place a clerical person into the position when they are not armed and able to handle any and all incidents that can possibly arise in the process.

And further, The Trooper that handles the process is performing other LE Duties while he/she is there, besides firearm transfers.

You mean like a gun store clerk???

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The gun I traded him for was unregulated, so he just handed it to me in the parking lot. Police don't need to know about it, as it's none of their business.
    I never said it was any of their business... You left out the non-regulated part when you posted about the trade. I simply provided the information for your benefit. Sorry I bothered...
    Name calling, bah. I expect competence from civil servants and when I don't get it, I'm pissed. If someone at work comes to me with a question, I either tell him the answer or direct him to someone who knows. I don't just tell him hogwash.
    It must be nice to be so perfect that you are able to demand perfection from others.

But wait... You had to ask them for information which was readily available to you on the website. Hmmm :shrug:

If troopers are the party that we have to go through for secondary sales, they need to know what to do. Period.

You DON'T "have to" go through the MDSP for transfers. It is not required. Go to any FFL and pay four to ten times as much for it if that's what makes you happy.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So I bought a P229 off a friend a while back, used it for a while, then decided to trade it back to him for another gun in his collection. We get to the Westminster barracks, fill out the paperwork, no problems, I give it to him after the waiting period.

I'm looking at the forms and which to send where, and this is my first complaint: 1. The forms don't indicate a mailing address as to where you need to send them. They just say to address them to the Firearms Registration Section.

I call the Westminster guys (who I must say are very nice and accommodating in person) and they say to call the 1111 Reisterstown Rd office. I do, and the lady checks my serial numbers and says my complaint 2: The application was voided because they didn't get the $10 fee check. This is nonsense as I watched my friend write the check and hand it off to the desk officer.

Nobody called me to tell me the application was voided, they just voided it. How was I supposed to know this if I didn't call? And even if I did know which address to mail the forms to, it would have been cancelled because of the voided application!

Complaint 3: the lady says she'll figure it out, call Westminster and call back. Guess what didn't happen.

This is my complaint to the liberals I know. I don't want zero government - I want the government we currently have to have some semblance of competence. It's hard enough to buy a gun in this state legally. I dont need the cops screwing it up on top of that.

Ongoing, will update later

At least you didn't get the "We don't have a written policy for transferring a stripped lower, so I'm going to refuse to do it." speech.

A quick email explaining the situation to Corp. Winters (I think that was the guys name, but I got a response from his iPhone) and the response back was very quick. He said that they do have a policy for transferring a stripped lower and to go back and attempt it again, and if there were any problems to show the trooper a copy of the email, which had more info in it.

It took me 2 trips to MSP-Frederick, just to get the paperwork done on a stripped lower. :sad20:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    At least you didn't get the "We don't have a written policy for transferring a stripped lower, so I'm going to refuse to do it." speech.

A quick email explaining the situation to Corp. Winters (I think that was the guys name, but I got a response from his iPhone) and the response back was very quick. He said that they do have a policy for transferring a stripped lower and to go back and attempt it again, and if there were any problems to show the trooper a copy of the email, which had more info in it.

It took me 2 trips to MSP-Frederick, just to get the paperwork done on a stripped lower. :sad20:

LOL, they probably were more inclined to treat you like a common criminal for walking in with such an evil object...

Seriously though, I was involved in a 4 person, 5 gun transfer last week @ Glen burnie barracks. The trooper was accommodating and the whole process was a piece of cake.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    LOL, they probably were more inclined to treat you like a common criminal for walking in with such an evil object...

Seriously though, I was involved in a 4 person, 5 gun transfer last week @ Glen burnie barracks. The trooper was accommodating and the whole process was a piece of cake.
    Yeah it was not too bad. :thumbsup:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    According to the regs there is no such thing as a barracks "that doesn't do transfers" or "we only do transfers during such-and-such hours".

Be prepared to wait during high call volume or a crisis. Otherwise, stand your ground and tell the troopers it is your right to conduct a barracks transfer at ANY barracks 24 hours a day.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    According to the regs there is no such thing as a barracks "that doesn't do transfers" or "we only do transfers during such-and-such hours".

Be prepared to wait during high call volume or a crisis. Otherwise, stand your ground and tell the troopers it is your right to conduct a barracks transfer at ANY barracks 24 hours a day.
    Let us know how that works out for you brother.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

Let us know how that works out for you brother.

Exactly...I'll be looking for that thread. :popcorn:

Here is the quoted reply I got from the Licensing Division when I questioned the Belair MSP barracks refusing to do a transfer. FWIW, they had a sign in the lobby that said Firearm Transfers done between 8am and 4pm Tuesday through Thursday only.

My question to them was IF some MSP barracks had their own days/times to do firearm transfers, or if they were done any day, any time, at any location...

Their reply:

Sir,

Yes, some barracks have specific times when they process Secondary Sales.

Thank you,

Cpl. Jason Edwards
    Corporal Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208
    Direct: 410-653-4508
    Office: 410-653-4621
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R Only)
    Fax: 410-653-4036 All Other Faxes

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Here's another example of MSP misinformation. Did a transfer 2 weeks ago and I was buying two handguns. It all goes on 1 form with an extra sheet for info for multiple firearms. But since it was 2 guns the trooper told me to make the check for $20.
    Today, the seller received my "not disapproved" letter and I received my check back with this note on it....

Attachments

• 20151120_181807.jpg
      20151120_181807.jpg
      47.2 KB · Views: 204

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Here's another example of MSP misinformation. Did a transfer 2 weeks ago and I was buying two handguns. It all goes on 1 form with an extra sheet for info for multiple firearms. But since it was 2 guns the trooper told me to make the check for $20.
    Today, the seller received my "not disapproved" letter and I received my check back with this note on it....

They sent back your check? Good!
    That sticky note doesn't look like an official State invoice to me.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I prefer MSP gets out of the transfer business and we can all do the 30-70 dollar transfer fee's the FFL's are charging.

Ask any FFL......well you already know.....the gun community is among the CHEAPEST folks out there. To the point it's almost embarrassing.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They sent back your check? Good!
    That sticky note doesn't look like an official State invoice to me.

Which Barracks? Glen burnie.

In his defense, the trooper made the whole process very smooth and he was easy to deal with. He just screwed up at the end by telling me to make the check for $20.

Oh, I see, You made the check for $20 and they sent it back and asked for $10!

I retract my previous smart-ass comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom