• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    lol, its really not that hard to look something up in scattered castles or jpas.

I am sure they have a liaison with some federal agency/TF that can do that.

its not hard if they had any desire to do accommodate the DoD/IC

But that would require getting up and actually performing work instead of constantly schmoozing and sucking up. Wasted salary?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    hey,

I know a while back a there were a couple members that had received permits for being part of the OPM breach, had TS/SCI, and worked in the Intelligence Community, and all of a sudden it appeared that the MSP began rejecting that criteria.

My question is does any body know what is currently going on with getting approval based upon OPM breach, clearance and work for the IC

I have been trying to keep up with the threads on the review board but didn't see anything indicating one way or another.

As far as your actual question, barring the scant handful that were overturned and awarded by the HPRB, I haven't heard of any others where that combination was accepted as G&S by the LD or HPRB. OTOH, there is no way to find out the number of undisputed awards with that combination of factors made by the LD since.

So - I dunno. :shrug:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As far as your actual question, barring the scant handful that were overturned and awarded by the HPRB, I haven't heard of any others where that combination was accepted as G&S by the LD or HPRB. OTOH, there is no way to find out the number of undisputed awards with that combination of factors made by the LD since.

So - I dunno. :shrug:

Probably because not all of them are members here on MDS. My wife runs in those circles so I run into quite a few. Plus I just know people. :D

miker/t

Aug 11, 2007
    Waldorf, MD
    BINGO.......the Agency will provide the info in JPAS.

MSP will not accept that a clearance in itself is G&S. Agency won't provide more info.

Problem is ISIS only cares you're cleared.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
    ISIS or whoever doesn't even know/care if your cleared, gov't, contractor, janitor or whatever.

They just see you coming and going from one of those buildings and pick you as a target.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    ISIS or whoever doesn't even know/care if your cleared, gov't, contractor, janitor or whatever.

They just see you coming and going from one of those buildings and pick you as a target.
    True, but that's where the OPM leaks come in.......

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hmm - this is an interesting thread because around the May time frame this year, a spokesman from Maryland Shall Issue spoke at out gun club meeting. He was adamant that Maryland would grant a CCW if you have a TS clearance or was part of the OPM data breach. If I have been told wrong - MSI will have no credibility with me or a coworker of mine; both of us spending a lot of time and money recently applying for our CCW under the assumed risk category. MSI will be persona non grata and will get no more support from me.

P.S. Not to mention yet another good reason to move to Northern VA.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hmm - this is an interesting thread because around the May time frame this year, a spokesman from Maryland Shall Issue spoke at out gun club meeting. He was adamant that Maryland would grant a CCW if you have a TS clearance or was part of the OPM data breach. If I have been told wrong - MSI will have no credibility with me or a coworker of mine; both of us spending a lot of time and money recently applying for our CCW under the assumed risk category. MSI will be persona non grata and will get no more support from me.

Sounds like you want to grind an axe with MSI before you know the outcome of the permit process.

The bolded portion above does not list two separate G&S reasons, just the OPM data breach alone will not cut it. Generally those with TS clearances, OPM data breach and a security person who will verify the existence of the clearance in writing and verbally will get permits. Those that work at PAX River are having issues with the verify part, YMMV.

Not sure I'd throw MSI under the bus until it's at least pulled up to the stop.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sounds like you want to grind an axe with MSI before you know the outcome of the permit process.

The bolded portion above does not list two separate G&S reasons, just the OPM data breach alone will not cut it. Generally those with TS clearances, OPM data breach and a security person who will verify the existence of the clearance in writing and verbally will get permits. Those that work at PAX River are having issues with the verify part, YMMV.

Not sure I'd throw MSI under the bus until it's at least pulled up to the stop.

Security personnel are not allowed to do that. MSP put that up as an arbitrary way to prevent people that have a clearance and were part of the OPM breach to get a unrestricted permit to carry in MD. If they allowed those two reasons as G&S for an unrestricted permit, there would be thousands of unrestricted permits that were issued and the overlords in Annapolis can't have that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As of currently , TS plus OPM is still good to go directly w/ MSP . What has been evolving is MSP no longer gives credence to Secret . Secret plus OPM Plus a convincing account of general nature of duties is frequently persuasive to the HPRB .

But in a somewhat fluid situation, the OP reports using year old information. Rechecking with either MSI or regular observers of the process closer to decision time before spending $$ ( presuming the class is required ) , would generally be wise .

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Dude, why are you bashing MSI? You may think you're getting bad information, but that is due to the MSP changing the rules on a regular basis.

Well some posts in this thread are in effect saying MSI wrong. I'm just the one pointing that out. Ask these guys why they think they are right and MSI is wrong.

Now I will have to say; MSI has done a lot of good work and I agree I need to give them due diligence. Point taken.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As of currently , TS plus OPM is still good to go directly w/ MSP . What has been evolving is MSP no longer gives credence to Secret . Secret plus OPM Plus a convincing account of general nature of duties is frequently persuasive to the HPRB .

But in a somewhat fluid situation, the OP reports using year old information. Rechecking with either MSI or regular observers of the process closer to decision time before spending $$ ( presuming the class is required ) , would generally be wise .

This ^^^ It is a *very* fluid situation with MSP because it is basically arbitary. Please note that while we can help MSI members with the permitting process, we simply don't have the resources to accord the same service to non-members. We are all volunteers at MSI. (I did get a doubling of my MSI pay this year. Oh, wait 2 x 0 = 0. Nevermind).

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Just wanted to add some personal insight, YMMV since this is of course MD.

As of my hearing(last Sept) the MSP officer present indicated that they were directed that TS in addition to OPM leak qualifies for a permit, with the restriction of "valid only while employed with _____". I know 3 people who used that and got the permit without intervention from the HPRB, all have that restriction or some flavor like it. I personally only have a SECRET and it took me testifying to the HPRB, but......in their decision they addressed the MSP stating that TS vs Secret clearance is an arbitrary differentiation for them to make. What I've found is that if you have a clearance, and were part of the OPM leak, its entirely possible.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Just wanted to add some personal insight, YMMV since this is of course MD.

As of my hearing(last Sept) the MSP officer present indicated that they were directed that TS in addition to OPM leak qualifies for a permit, with the restriction of "valid only while employed with _____". I know 3 people who used that and got the permit without intervention from the HPRB, all have that restriction or some flavor like it. I personally only have a SECRET and it took me testifying to the HPRB, but......in their decision they addressed the MSP stating that TS vs Secret clearance is an arbitrary differentiation for them to make. What I've found is that if you have a clearance, and were part of the OPM leak, its entirely possible.
    Our "overlords" in Annapolis are letting this happen? The hell you say....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shekaar

Apr 26, 2018
    So to be clear, it would be an actively used TS along with the OPM breach - correct? My expired TS and being involved in the OPM breach wouldn't help me?

I'll be getting my TS back shortly for a new position I'm taking in DC, so if this is all true then I look forward to getting my permit soon!

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    So to be clear, it would be an actively used TS along with the OPM breach - correct? My expired TS and being involved in the OPM breach wouldn't help me?

I'll be getting my TS back shortly for a new position I'm taking in DC, so if this is all true then I look forward to getting my permit soon!

So of those three I know that used TS and OPM leak, all were active at the time, but one was about to retire and was initially denied. When he had the informal review with Licensing, he explained how retiring doesn't mean he mentally dumps the info that would place him in an assumed risk category. So my guess is you'd have a chance with an expired TS, but that would most likely need to go to the HPRB in my experience.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

There is no "or" here. A TS *and* OPM data breach may be still working if your employer will jump through the verification hoops and the stars are aligned that day at MSP. It is arbitrary. OPM by itself is not sufficient to MSP, although that plus other G&S stuff seems to help with the Board. YMMV. And please don't blame MSI for the MSP's shenanigans. We are constantly surprised how inconsistent MSP can be on permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom