• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Haven't really bought anything in a while but this popped up.

Found a location at the Archives that had a bunch of serial numbers and data on the PreWWI National Matches.

This one was sold to the Florida National Guard. Troops in Federal service or civilian teams more or less "rented" their rifles and they had to be turned in to the Armory following the matches. But for some reason when purchased for the Guard, they were invoiced to the state of which they served and the state owned them.

Branch and Civilian team rifles were either used in subsequent matches or recycled into service rifles, which is why they're so few of them left.

Another thing I didn't realize, I always think of Camp Perry, Sea Girt or even Creedmore when I think of "National Matches." But apparently in 1916 the matches were held in State Camp, (right outside Jacksonville) Florida. Wasn't even held in the typical shooting season of July or August but October.

These rifles really don't have many of the common traits, when you think of National Match rifles: serial number etched in the bolt or stock, star guaged muzzle stamp. They have "traits" but it really comes down to the modifications authorized by the Chief of Ordnance to make them as accurate as possible with each year.

Barrel may be original, it's been on there for a long time. No signs of marks on the finish as it's been taken off. TE 5 with a MW 1. Bolt looks polished, but it's got some really dried grease on the bolt which I'll probably just leave it on there.

This stuff is out there, all with hidden histories.

4Mwdrc2.jpg

5TAK78u.jpg

hHUipKa.jpg

LnUKibL.jpg

VdWZ68z.jpg

8wuByZP.jpg

EurXA9A.jpg

yXs8f7l.jpg

ZRDNtLv.jpg

AKoBAbU.jpg

UurZsTf.jpg

pOWaqnP.jpg

FbN3UxM.jpg

TWH211W.jpg

tI0SDXv.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations on the find, that probably flew totally under the radar without any of the usual NM features as you mentioned. Nice write-up with cool provenance. It really does make a significant difference to those of us who are history buffs. Love learning something new!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Nice rifle, good to see one that has not been messed with. I cant tell from the pictures but does it have one or two cross bolts in the stock?

Also, is there any significance to the letter in the cut off recess or may that be lost to the ages? I like the picture with the front sight blade in it. Nice and square the way it should be.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks guys, I just love the story behind these old pieces that would otherwise be lost to time.

I don't plan on shooting it, the finish is great and if the stock cracked I'd probably cry since it's a single bolt and its unsanded. It's not mint but they're still hard to find.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks guys, I really like this one. I just got another one in which is interesting. I'll post it in a few days once I get pictures of it and it comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom