• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kremdawg

May 24, 2017
    Cumberland
    Looking for some help with seized guns. We are an FFl-01, the local police department turns over seized guns to us after they determine that the owner could legally own the gun. Normally the owner comes in we perform the required background checks and out the door goes a happy owner reunited with his gun. However we have a few guns which have been in our safe for years. Handguns and Long rifles. We try to get ahold of the owners but we cannot find them. This is for the FFl-01 holders is there a way we can legally claim these “abandonded” guns? Anybody have any experience with abandoned transfers and the rules? We will contact MSP and see what they say but I thought somebody might have the same issue. Is it just like abandoned property? Thanks !

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm astonished a police department in Maryland goes to any trouble to reunite owners and firearms.

Kremdawg

May 24, 2017
    Cumberland
    Usually we deal with out of state CDS arrests, people have a gun in the car and it gets seized. Misdemenior stuff ... I guess the “grass” in Maryland is better than PA? Lol

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Whatever person from ATF gives you an answer...especially one where you can resell them as now abandoned property...I would get that answer in writing. You never know when it can prove to be a "Get Out of Jail" card. CYA all the way.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Who is your ATF field agent? If you don't know, call the BATF office in Baltimore and ask. If they don't know the answer they will tell you who to contact at ATF headquarters.

I haven't been through this specific issue, but I have had unique situations that required the ATF to tell me how they interpret the rules. They also always put it in writing for me to cover our company.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Actually, you are a business owner. These people have stored property on your site for years.
    I bet most of these people are dead!

I also bet you get to keep shotguns, etc. but will lose any handguns.
    You know, because Shotguns are safe, and Handguns.. well... umm scary

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Some FFLs charge a storage fee per month if you dont do paperwork and pick up your guns in a timely fashion. Hard to believe that people do not do paperwork and pick up valuables in a timely fashion, and yet....

If you charged such a fee, eventually the cumulative fee would be more than the gun you are holding as collateral.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I know many dealers who have gave up and sold this abandoned property after trying to contact the owners with no luck. I am actually buying a pistol right now from the same situation. AND I am willing to buy more.. what ya got :D

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm astonished a police department in Maryland goes to any trouble to reunite owners and firearms.

Someone at the PD clearly screwed up and they'll never make that mistake again! :D

Kremdawg

May 24, 2017
    Cumberland
    we are still looking into it bit we have some rifles, some cheap revolvers and a really nice 1911. But since we did not have a policy in place even if we institute one it will be a while before we can sell anything. We are awaiting feedback from MSP and ATF.. THX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom