• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Anyone have a lead on these grips?

86693_01_s_w_686_s_w_28_640.jpg

I picked up an old 686 in the shop the other day and the grips felt amazing. I think these are them pictured above..

been looking around but I cant find them. I know S&W makes the "Traditional Checkered Target Grip With The S&W Medallions" as shown in the link below but I'm not sure they match the above. The above ones seem to flare out more at the bottom. When I held it in the shop it felt really wide, which I like...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/products/detail_md/164000000_md.jpg

If anyone has some info on this, lemme know!

Thanks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you looking for those specific factory grips on purpose , or for similar grips for the shooting qualities ? If you haven't been keeping up with the world of S&W collectors, you will have major sticker shock at what they are worth.

If for the shooting qualities, Eagle Grips has several very close to those, primarily in Rosewood. I think their Coke Bottle replicas are better than the pictured factory grips, but that's me. ( There is a whole vocabulary among S&W collectors to describe each variety and vintage of grip. Cokes are early '50's era , slight palm swells. In K frame size, I think the late '50s Targets fit the hand best, but by modern expectations , they predate speedloader cutouts.)

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Are you looking for those specific factory grips on purpose , or for similar grips for the shooting qualities ? If you haven't been keeping up with the world of S&W collectors, you will have major sticker shock at what they are worth.

If for the shooting qualities, Eagle Grips has several very close to those, primarily in Rosewood. I think their Coke Bottle replicas are better than the pictured factory grips, but that's me. ( There is a whole vocabulary among S&W collectors to describe each variety and vintage of grip. Cokes are early '50's era , slight palm swells. In K frame size, I think the late '50s Targets fit the hand best, but by modern expectations , they predate speedloader cutouts.)

I dont need the specific factory grips. Right now I have the rubber grips on and they don't fill out my hand so I don't feel like a get a good grip.

Those wood grips seemed to be really full/wide and also tapered out towards the bottom which created a really nice grip for me.

I'll take a look at the eagle grips, thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The phrase is *Flared* at the bottom, if they were tapered, they'ed be slimmer at the bottom.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

do tell...I have a set from my 686 that I replaced with rubber grips. Not wanting to sell but curious as to their value. Mine are 30 years old.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    do tell...I have a set from my 686 that I replaced with rubber grips. Not wanting to sell but curious as to their value. Mine are 30 years old.

I have a set in new condition taken off of an early 686, no dash. I would sell them for $125.00, unless you want a set of non-relieved diamond targets from the early 50's which I would sell for $450.00+. I know a guy who just sold a set of Cokes for $650.00 That's the market for them. It is nuts.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I wonder if the black wood Talo edition grips on my 686 will be worth anything down the road 30 years from now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom