• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Looking to get a C&R rifle that has a 1MOA or better. (Generally speaking)

Are there any models that I should focus my search on?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Look for a good condition M1903, K31, Swedish Mauser, or M1917. They probably won't be 1 MOA, though some can do ten shot groups on occasion bordering on it. My M/96 did a 1.25" ten shot group once. My M1903 will do 1.75" ten shot groups now and then, but usually not quite that tight.

The sights will also be a limiting factor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So far that's the milsurp perspective, if that's what the OP really meant , fine .

But C&R includes lots more . Think pre- 1969 Win M70 , Rem M700 & 721 & 722 , early Savage M1100 , Sako , etc .

From the pre- 1969 era generally actual 1.0moa will be dependent upon the luck of the draw on the bbl . But with decent bedding and tuning , 1.25moa can usually be expected.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've seen some C&R Savage 110s at around $300.

You could also go for a commercial Mauser sporter like a Husqvarna. It may not be 1 MOA in its original configuration though.

Also, there are various foreign C&R target rifles too like the Swedish CG-63 or Finnish M28/76.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    So far that's the milsurp perspective, if that's what the OP really meant , fine .

But C&R includes lots more . Think pre- 1969 Win M70 , Rem M700 & 721 & 722 , early Savage M1100 , Sako , etc .

From the pre- 1969 era generally actual 1.0moa will be dependent upon the luck of the draw on the bbl . But with decent bedding and tuning , 1.25moa can usually be expected.

Kinda what I was thinking.

Yoshi, also, 1 moa to what distance? We all probably have our own idea of what a precision rifle is. Personally, 300 yards is a ballpark minimum range when I'm thinking "precision rifle". And then there's the rifleman ... And with my tired old eyes, that means optics come into play.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You are going to need a scope or Eagle Eyes.
    Your also going to be pushing things unless you find a 50 yard old hunting rifle in mint condition that someone then mods (bedding, trigger job etc).

Condition is EVERYTHING with accuracy. IMO you CAN NOT SAY that X rifle is 1moa rifle.
    You can say that X rifle is capable of 1moa if it is in excellent condition (mechanical/bore etc).

Swiss K31 is a very good candidate cause you can scope it w/o drilling and tapping. I still think you are pushing it.
    My 1903a3 has a mint bore and my best shooter with iron sights but me personally, I'm not capable with shooting 1MOA with irons.

Unless the seller guarantees 1MOA, your likely to end up buying several and working on it for months to get a consistent 1MOA (just my opinion).

There may be people here (cause many are watching/reading) that will come out and say "yea, my xxxx gets 1MOA all day". that will be the exception, not the standard. Just cause one person gets that accuracy does not mean everyone can/will.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Good point! I've long been intrigued by smallbore shooting and have collected a few really nice smallbore target rifles which would be capable of 1 MOA accuracy. When my son and I went to a smallbore match in New Freedom, one of the top shooters was using a restored pre-war Remington Model 37. The queen of my collection is a Winchester 52C built in the year I was born, 1958. In the right hands with match ammo, I'm sure it could produce that level of accuracy.

I know my son's mid70s Anschutz Model 1407 could do 1 MOA. Although it's not quite C&R yet, other earlier Olympic-class rifles would make it to the 50 year cutoff. One of the benefits of shooting low-velocity lead projectiles is that the barrel can last for a very long time!

JoeR

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a Remington 700 Varmint in .223 Remington that was made in 1967.

For me, that particular rifle has the distinction of having the very best factory trigger I've ever shot. It also serves as a vivid reminder of what happened with later examples of the 700 trigger, once the lawyers got involved. Still good triggers, still Walker triggers until more recent years, but clearly night and day different as released by the factory by the 1980's and later.

This rifle is legitimate MOA all day every day with good hand loads. I have a recent production factory stock Savage Model 12 that can run with it accuracy wise, and another that can beat it, but not by much.

Yeah Yoshi, the older examples would be a great avenue to explore. :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    In a .22 I'd jump on an H&R Model 12. For the money can't be beat. And this from someone who worships his vintage Winnie 52B.
    In centerfire I'll let the rest of the crew here step in as I'm not as up-to-speed on accurate sporting/match rifles. I have a nice late 60s vintage Remington M700 bull barrel in .22-250 and it's stupid accurate if I do my part correctly. Def. seen 1 MOA results with it. The bane of SW Penna groundhogs!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ross Mk. II or more likely a Ross Mk. III. Both are very accurate rifles. Unfortunately they’re not what I would call “easy to find” or as “affordable” as most of the other rifles mentioned

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yoshi
    Not trying to be a smart A$$ but how good a shooter are you? Do you shoot close to the theoretical/potential accuracy of the guns you shoot? For example if you have a gun capable of 2MOA in the hands of an expert shooter do you shoot it close to that precision. I ask because I have seen shooters become disappointed when they buy a gun that is supposed to be very accurate but they can't equal the results. The accuracy of a rifle is a combination of the potential accuracy of the gun, the ammunition, and the shooter with each contributing to the overall error. You need to know the potential of each.

I am not trying to discourage you as most of us want rifles to shoot better than we do then we know who is to blame. So while you are looking for that sub MOA gun keep practicing so you will do it justice.

You did not mention any other requirements besides C&R and accuracy so I would suggest the easiest to find would probably be a used .22 RF precision target rifle mainly because the .22 RF is very good on barrel longevity, unless improperly cleaned they almost never wear out. When you move into the higher power center fires barrel wear and throat erosion start to take a toll and effect the basic accuracy depending on how much they were shot.

Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom