• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No even if they don't if they wish to stay within departmental policy they have to register their 17,19, or 26 with D.C.

Exactly, but they do not have to register their privately owned firearms.

It's not a knock, I wouldn't report anything than what is required either.

The firearm language definitions are new per se, within the last month or so.

It will take time for the news to propagate via the afficiandos and laymen. This time next year, the number of firearms registered might double or triple to say the least.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    which has nothing to do with the fact that D.C. gun ownership is still exceptonally low. D.C. even gave him a spot to conduct business........He doesn't pay rent or anything and he is in a SUPER CENTRAL LOCATION.

Making it easier for citizens to meet him, right off the red line :)

And how many other FFLs has DC been willing to make such an accommodation for?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    And how many other FFLs has DC been willing to make such an accommodation for?

How many legit gun stores would like to set up shop? Ranges? Training facilities.

Things in DC have got better, but there's obviously a long ways to go.

Being from Chicago, having a lot of family there as well, I fully appreciate and understand mpdc's earlier remarks.
    mpdc said:
    When most of your uptown citizens a bleeding liberals they aren't intrested in guns.........they just plain dont care. They have lived long without them and could go even longer

He's spot on. In an inner city mindset, it doesn't matter which neighborhood you live in either.

When thinking about how to change the mindset of inner city folks, I only have to look at my own family and relatives

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    How many do you think illegally own?

I'd have no problem estimating that there are over 15-20k unregistered guns in D.C.

I'd easily say that 1 in 5 houses on my side of the river have guns and legs be honest a lot of the people up town have illegal ones as well it's not just in the hood.

You have to think about how many family weapons that were passed down from father to son for hunting purposes. We recover a lot of these that could be registered but just aren't. Lots and Lots of old shotguns are taken in burglaries in my area.

95% of which can be legally registered.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While 99% of people couldn't agree on free $20 bills being the right shade of green , 4511 is basically right.

DC is strtified to either extreme , with vitrully no middle ground economically or socially.

The thugs prefer unarmed victims. The good people in the 'hood have been brainwashed that guns = evil for generations , and can't even concieve of guns being used for positive purposes , either SD or recreationally.

The upscale residents already largely self selected themselves. If they had any inclination for gun ownership , they would have moved into Potomac , Bethesda , McLean , or Old Town Alex in the first place instead of Upper NW or Cap Hill .

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    How did I miss this fun thread? This is right up my alley.

I own a couple registered firearms in DC.;) It is not being a 1%er, it is more like being a 0.001%er.

As much as it pains me to say, Gray is doing the right thing by representing the want of the people. He is wrong Constitutionally speaking, but as a representative he is right.

Biggfoot44 is absolutely correct. DC is very different than 'real America'. There is very little middle class in DC, for reasons I will not go into. The poor people do not like guns because they have had zero exposure to legal gun ownership and shooting sports. In their life, they have never seen anything good about guns. They have lost a friend or family member to a gun. Honestly I cannot blame them for being anti-gun. They just do not know any better.

The DC wealthy are largely anti gun Democrats. Upstanding Republican live in VA to get out of the mess. I do not blame them either.

There is a sub populous that work hard and live in the hood, like me. Real estate prices are sky high no matter where you live in DC. Mostly there is an understanding firearms are verboten in DC, do not bother. Then to another level of stratification, a few people (idiots like me) do want to fight city hall if they see something unfair.

I am somewhat active in local politics. Anything firearms related is a complete nonstarter on the local level. I could chime in during meetings and make a solid fact based argument, but there would be an immediate 500 people against. It is difficult to describe how unpopular it would be to relax firearms regulations. In comparison, it is about as popular as reintroducing segregation. I cannot express how happy the law changes are from a Federal level because it would never happen internally.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back about 30 yrs ago , of the DC residents that I * came into ofical contact * with half or a bit more were not born in DC. The single largest jurisdiction was South Carolina , but that could have been neighborhood specific. Some of them must have had childhood memories of family members rabbit hunting back on the farm down South. But its been lots of decades and/ or generations since of being pervaded with the DC Ethos .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It just hit me of the Historical Parallel.

Mayor Grey now is channeling the Spirit of Gov George Wallace standing on the steps of the Univ of Alabama in 1963.

Following the overwhelming sentaments of his constituants, while flying in the face of Constitutional issues. Later Generations will scorn , and wonder how they could have been so foolish and futile.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'd have no problem estimating that there are over 15-20k unregistered guns in D.C.

I'd easily say that 1 in 5 houses on my side of the river have guns and legs be honest a lot of the people up town have illegal ones as well it's not just in the hood.

You have to think about how many family weapons that were passed down from father to son for hunting purposes. We recover a lot of these that could be registered but just aren't. Lots and Lots of old shotguns are taken in burglaries in my area.

95% of which can be legally registered.

I am sure that's right. So, what do you think 4511, does the fact that they are not registered have anything to do with the rather high cost and inconvenience of registration under DC law (not to mention the official hostility to guns in DC). Registration in DC is still a major PITA, even as the law was amended most recently in response to Heller and the Heller II litigation. And you perhaps help us as to whether registration has ever helped solve or prevent a crime? The failure to register these firearms thus renders all of these otherwise law-abiding people criminals. And why is that a *good* thing? And maybe you could please explain to me why DC doesn't actively reach out to ensure that these guns can be kept legally?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4511 was Observing nd Reporting , not nesecarilly opining that it was a *good* state of affairs.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Wish I saw this thread earlier...

What you all fail to realize is that 99% of D.C. Citizens don't want guns in D.C. at all!!!!!

Now don't get me wrong I dont think that should effect the people who really want toys but you can't really fault the guy for doing his job.

His job is to uphold the values and wants of the people that elected him. Those people don't want guns. I obviously can't/wont state my views on the mayor in general but I can't fault him for being public about this............because it's what the people want.

I think you are wrong. His job is not "to uphold the values and wants of the people that elected him" (though that theory would certainly explain why Marrion Barry was smoking crack). The DC mayoral oath of office is clear about what he is sworn to do:

I, (mayor’s name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the laws of the United States of America and of the District of Columbia, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, which I am about to enter.

Though it may be that a politician should perform the duties of his office in a manner consistent with the beliefs of his constituency, the politician's sworn duties do not take a back seat to those beliefs.

Just like another famous DemocRat, Bull Connor, vowing to preserve segregation. People think they can build or advance a career by denying basic civil rights.

Perfect analogy.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    And maybe you could please explain to me why DC doesn't actively reach out to ensure that these guns can be kept legally?

I'm interested in mpdc's answers, but I couldn't resist this. The obvious reason is the the DC government doesn't want people to keep guns legally. They want them gone. If a little ignorance removes a few guns, so be it. I'm guessing any changes due to Emily Miller, Heller, etc. are just to avoid lawsuits. Not some newfound sense of civic duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom