• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Anyone use one of these for practice / training? Thoughts???

Attachments

• laserlyte laser target.jpg
      laserlyte laser target.jpg
      9 KB · Views: 222

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Yes.

Got one for the wife (birthday). It does quite well at registering the shots. Would work better if it was being used with a double action pistol instead of a GLOCK (there is a resettable trigger sold to be used with the laser.)

I practice drawing from my holster and hitting the target.
    We also compete to see who gets the best grouping from across the room.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well... if you have a pistol caliber rifle and don't mind pulling the charging handle every time, you could use it with a rifle.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Well... if you have a pistol caliber rifle and don't mind pulling the charging handle every time, you could use it with a rifle.

Very true, had not thought of that. Might have to go with this vs the LTS Pro, so the hammer fall is registered by the laser mechanism.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I thought about using a caliber adapter for shotgun usage, but the adapter would be rimmed (and thus you'd eject it every time you cycled the shotgun). Might be able to mill off the rim of the adapter, I suppose, and just poke it out with a cleaning rod?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    The LTS Training Cartridge is rimless and does not eject from pistols. Good when using them in the GLOCK, and have to reset the trigger using the slide.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena

That's not entirely accurate. (shamelessly borrowed from Independence Day movie)

There are 3 ways to produce the required laser hit. The laser target works with all 3:

1. As stated, the LTS training cartridge works only for specific pistol calibers (in the chamber).

2. The LTS Pro works for any pistol caliber with at least a 2" BBL. (inserted into muzzle)

3. The LTS Universal works with any rifle .22 - .50 caliber. (inserted into muzzle)

So, it all depends on which laser source you prefer to use with the target. All 3 laser generators are triggered by sound.

I have the target and a LTS Pro on order, and should be receiving them any day now.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Yes.

Got one for the wife (birthday). It does quite well at registering the shots. Would work better if it was being used with a double action pistol instead of a GLOCK (there is a resettable trigger sold to be used with the laser.)

I practice drawing from my holster and hitting the target.
    We also compete to see who gets the best grouping from across the room.

Same here. Wife got me one for my birthday, and it works quite well. Kind of a pain with the stiker fired M&P, but it works well with the DA/SA Sig 2022. My only complaint is that sometimes the laser fires when the trigger resets as you release it. The Sig has a rather loud reset click. It's great for holster draw drills though.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    That's not entirely accurate. (shamelessly borrowed from Independence Day movie)

There are 3 ways to produce the required laser hit. The laser target works with all 3:

1. As stated, the LTS training cartridge works only for specific pistol calibers (in the chamber).

2. The LTS Pro works for any pistol caliber with at least a 2" BBL. (inserted into muzzle)

3. The LTS Universal works with any rifle .22 - .50 caliber. (inserted into muzzle)

So, it all depends on which laser source you prefer to use with the target. All 3 laser generators are triggered by sound.

I have the target and a LTS Pro on order, and should be receiving them any day now.

:facepalm: Good catch.

Optics Planet has them for $58.99

Last edited:

JavaDan

Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    :facepalm: Good catch.

No worries, mate.

I'm hoping that it works well enough to use in the NRA pistol classes to let newbie shooters see the effects of trigger and grip control before walking on to the range with live ammo. We'll see.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    No worries, mate.

I'm hoping that it works well enough to use in the NRA pistol classes to let newbie shooters see the effects of trigger and grip control before walking on to the range with live ammo. We'll see.

Should work good.

These guys might make something that you can actually watch the laser trace across the target, L3 Communications (located in Columbia MD)

Probably a little pricy.

JavaDan

Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Should work good.

These guys might make something that you can actually watch the laser trace across the target, L3 Communications (located in Columbia MD)

Probably a little pricy.

Probably so - anything remotely affiliated with EOTech is going to cost.

Interesting web site. The Beamhit page has a link pointing to the L-3 page. When you click on the training devices link on the L-3 page, it takes you back to the Beamhit page that refers you to the L-3 page, which takes you ..... enough - my head already hurts. :confused:

Way beyond what I need, though.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Probably so - anything remotely affiliated with EOTech is going to cost.

Interesting web site. The Beamhit page has a link pointing to the L-3 page. When you click on the training devices link on the L-3 page, it takes you back to the Beamhit page that refers you to the L-3 page, which takes you ..... enough - my head already hurts. :confused:

Way beyond what I need, though.

LOL

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Hi. I have one I use for training classes with a Glock SIRT for brand new shooters. I think it works great. It's also good for general practice without the cost of range time or bullets.

It's especially good for students as you can see exactly what is happening with their grip and trigger control.

JavaDan

Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Hi. I have one I use for training classes with a Glock SIRT for brand new shooters. I think it works great. It's also good for general practice without the cost of range time or bullets.

It's especially good for students as you can see exactly what is happening with their grip and trigger control.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Unfortunately, $300 +- for the SIRT is out of my affordability level.

That's why I'm going with the LTS. I can just stick into one or more of the guns I own, both semi and wheel.

Enough thread hijacking from the OP. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom