• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    For the purpose of this first post on this topic I'll focus on the PG County convicted criminal Jason Scott
    safe_image.php

I plan to make other posts in this thread I plan to discuss other criminals that used sophisticated tactics. Please feel free to discuss this case or others of it's kind; I'm particularly interested in tips to help the police and citizens deter, detect, capture and prosecute these criminals.

Here's an excellent article: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/inside-a-criminal-mastermind--jason-scott

The video (7min) in that article is actually better because the images in the video adds to the story.

http://www.abc2news.com/generic/news/local_news/investigations/MAIN_Inside_a_Criminal-Mind

Nine (9) home invasions, and 28 burglaries that he's admitted to. He used his access to the UPS database (Landover, MD) to help him target people, he studied crime shows to learn counter-forensic techniques and help him develop his plots and improve his attacks; for example, he carried a police scanner and special tools. He broke into a gun shop (JC Arms, Woodbine, MD) to steal suppressors and guns. These are just some of the techniques and information the police are providing, no doubt he employed other tactics that the police or the media were not willing to reveal in this story. A detailed reading of the case file would be very illuminating.

What can people do? Training and safety. In addition to taking training offered here and by other respected groups, consider adding video surveillance and a silent alarm system; this way the criminal doesn't immediately hear the alarm go off, so the police have a better chance to respond and catch the criminal before they get away.

(I would like to have a more open discussion where we could discuss specific criminal behavior and methods to thwart them; but this being a public thread I know a lot of us are reluctant to speak freely. Would it be possible to have a private thread only for members that can be vouched for?)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Hmmm. From the article I get this:

Get an alarm. The one house with an audible alarm was left when the alarm went off. I can understand a silent alarm working for the greater good of catching the perpetrator(s) but an audible alarm is an immediate deterrant.
    Get a large, mean looking dog. This paired with an alarm should deter most burgalers. The idea is to avert a burglary before it happens, and before the suspects even enter the house. Be a hard target.

Make sure your gun safe is locked and bolted to the floor.

and of course, train, train, train for the possibility of being broken into while in your house. Learn basic CQB tactic until clearing your house becomes second nature. Practice stressful shooting drills. (Sprint 25yds then immediately shoot at a target at 2-10yds. Repeat) To get used to where you hit when your pulse and respiration are elevated.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Very disturbing. First reaction is to always be armed in our own homes, but in reality, that's not always practical. I have motion sensitive lighting, CCTV, alarm system, and more. Also recommend good, nosey neighbors. Yeah, that could be a pain, but it's another good deterrent. Have a plan to retreat into a safe area, with defensive items. Barking dogs would be great. Carry a cell phone at all times, and keep it charged. Keep all outside doors locked at all times. Above all, try to keep situationally aware. Be mentally prepared to do whatever it takes to defend self and others. And keep fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, pray that our LEOs catch, and the courts convict and incarcerate these dirtballs for the maximum sentence possible.

And, like those annoying signs say, 'If you see something, say something.'

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good tips. I've started adding short sprints into my workouts; I haven't run sprints in years, but I think the simple, dynamic, anaerobic sprint to me one of the most important 'skills' and conditioning things one can do that directly relates to safety.

Also, if you look at this (still regarding the Scott case): http://www.abc2news.com/generic/news/local_news/investigations/Criminal-Mind
    go to page 5, paragraph 16 d & e; you will read Scott's own statement that they went through several backyards to get to their target house, they used a window punch (even though the window was unlocked), they found a Tac 9 (pistol) then discovered someone asleep on the couch. Turns out there were a few people in the house, at least one of them struggled with one of the perps, and the perps ran. In the process of fleeing a shot was fired, one of the perps lost his pistol (Ruger) and they fled in different locations.

These accounts are very revealing. If one can afford it, protective plastic on windows would have also been helpful, as would a broken glass sensor...

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    Obviously not smart enough. He was selling the guns out of his truck in the parking lot where he worked? Pretty stupid.

As for his turning off his cell phone so no one could track him, that was paranoia not smarts. They found enough evidence in his house (stupid to keep it there) that there would be no reason to track his cell phone. It sounds like the only thing he did that was even half smart was using the UPS database to find targets( or did he do that for only one)?

No, other than the histrionic news report I don't see much evidence that he was that much smarter than other burglars and home invaders.

I have no doubt that there are many more just like him.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The k st crew in dc was using the freedom of information act to gain access to homicide witnesses info and then killing them.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Not a fan of silent alarms in residents.

The idea is the alarm goes off, makes noise, bad guy leaves, and you keep your stuff.

Alarms in houses are different from business's. Your main goal should be to prevent the theft not to have the police catch them in the act.

Knowing the delay it sometimes takes from the time the alarm is activated to the time the police arrive gives me a good reason to not have a silent alarm in my house.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was thinking the silent alarm only for the first few minutes, or on the perimeter accesses. Most safes are rated for several minutes of attack with tools.

There are many other things to deter the initial attack, usually burglars won't try if they believe you are using it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I was thinking the silent alarm only for the first few minutes, or on the perimeter accesses. Most safes are rated for several minutes of attack with tools.

There are many other things to deter the initial attack, usually burglars won't try if they believe you are using it.

If my guns are in a good safe I'm more worried about my TV and other valuables being taken.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I know this is socially unacceptable, but I would love it if a group of vigilantes went out and attacked anyone with 5 arrests. I'm willing to bet the world would be a better place. If they got caught and I was on the jury, I would not give a guilty verdict regardless of circumstances.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Some great advice I've heard is to put your car keys on the night stand. That way if there is a bump in the night you can set off that alarm (using the keypad) as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom