• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I. BACKGROUND
    ---------------------------

Vapor Trail Tactical (VTT, http://www.vaportrailtactical.net/) is an applied firearm instructional group led by Sean Little (known on Sniper's Hide as "Hogstooth"). Sean is a former Scout Sniper with 12 years experience in the USMC, including a combat tour in Iraq during the bad years. Sean instructs on sidearms, carbines, and precision firearms. See photo of Sean (bear was killed by Dave, landowner of VTT's training facility):

VaporTrail042.jpg

VTT trains at two locations: one in NC and a recently opened spot in Saxton PA. Three training classes are offered: Precision Scoped Rifles (PSR) I, PSR II and Team Concepts. Sean customizes classes around the interest and skills of the students. The following AAR covers the Team Concepts class, held in Saxton PA on 14-15 April 2012.

My shooting partner and I went to VTT because we are preparing for a large team match in July. We knew Sean from shooting several matches with him and from rec fire at MCB Quantico. We knew his background in fieldcraft would nicely complement the team marksmanship skills he would teach us. My partner is the precision shooter on the team and has a 28” custom Remington 700 in 260 Remington (shooting 130gr JLKs); I am the team leader and the carbine shooter (with a 14.5" Noveske 5.56mm AR, shooting 70gr Berger VLDs). We both carry 9mm sidearms.

II. VTT’s TRAINING PHILOSOPHY
    -----------------------------------------------

Sean believes that we should train like we will fight (or like we will shoot matches). As such, he doesn't allow students to half-ass it or leisurely execute drills. He has a friendly leadership style when enforcing these measures however, so the training doesn't feel like boot camp.

Sean believes in the importance of speed: in identifying, engaging and re-engaging targets. He does not draw out the firing process with elaborate ballistic solutions and wind estimations. He continually reinforcements the message:

• stay on gun and the glass,
    • always reload the weapon,
    • use simple yet effective reticles and ballistic tools,
    • know the lay-out of your gear and keep it with you.

Sean believes in the value of building field expedient shooting support. He is a proponent of the tripod, having used them extensively and with success in Iraq. He does not believe unsupported shooting is worth extensive practice because it is less accurate, ultimately slower than supported shooting and rarely used in the real world. He continually reinforces the point: get a strong supported position, apply the fundamentals of marksmanship and "let the gun do the work."

After several hours in field with Sean, students understand all his instruction is geared towards winning the fight (or the match) and that he has a ton of great information on obtaining that goal.

III. DAY ONE
    ----------------------

0700-0800 hours: Land Nav
    We hiked up to top of VTT's training facility and back with full packs. This is up 250 vertical feet and 1.5 kilometers out. We marched out and ran back. Radio comms maintained and land nav practiced.

0800-1000 hours: Sidearms
    This was my first training with a sidearm since the Army (15+ yrs ago), so we focused on basics. It was clear we need additional work here and Sean offered to extend the sidearms training later at another venue (this made it clear Sean really cares about maximizing our skills, not just getting us through the training).

1000-1200 hours: Carbines
    We are fairly familiar with this weapon system. Sean reviewed the basics of CQB. He also went over movement techniques. He drilled us on 'height over bore' issues with targets closer than 25yds. We ended with carbine-to-pistol transitions.

1200-1300 hours: Lunch
    We ate our MRE lunches as Sean and Dave enjoyed a nice BBQ.

1300-1330 hours: Fundamentals/Groups
    Sean reviewed our 5-shoot 100yd groups and evaluated our fundamentals. He made several small tweaks.

1330-1430 hours: Tripods
    As mentioned, Sean is big believer in tripod for field expedient support. We did 100yd box drills from sitting/kneeling/standing from both weak and strong sides. Sean went through some tricks for using and quickly setting up a tripod.

1430-1530 hours: Carbine come-ups out to 500yds
    My carbine has never formally been tested for come-ups at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards, so I shot groups at these yardages with Sean spotting. See photo:

VaporTrail002.jpg

1530-1630 hours: Target Detection
    From the 500yd line, there was a long wood line and draw to right where Sean had hidden 5 targets (each a camouflaged 8x12" steel silhouette). Targets ranged from 200 to 550 yards and were well concealed into the terrain. Sean had us work as team to find, range and hit all the targets with both rifles. He provided some feedback, but was more interested in seeing our base-line teamwork skills. See photos below:

VaporTrail026.jpg

VaporTrail031.jpg

1630-1800 hours: HVT from behind and on top of Grassy Knoll
    Sean moved us north of the 500yd line to a small grassy knoll, from we where could engage targets on a long hill. We had to engage a high value target (HVT) from behind the knoll and then more targets from the top of knoll, all at unknown ranges. Sean had us use a tripod to execute a supported standing shoot on the HVT from behind the knoll. My partner hit the HVT with his first round and we moved up to prone on top of grassy knoll. I was up first with 8" poppers at 450-500yds. The wind was gusting and I was slow engaging target (miss 2mph and my 70gr bullet is off the plate). We completed the drill but took a lot of time. Sean really laid into us, especially me, with feedback to improve time management.

My ass was officially kicked as Day One training ended at 1800 hours and we headed to dinner. Dave has nice bunking facilities and we stayed the night in them.

IV. DAY TWO
    ----------------------

0800-0930 hours: Land Nav
    Back up the mountain, this time 3 kilometers out and up 600 vertical feet. More radio comm and land nav practice.

0930-1030 hours: Range Cards from 800yd line
    Sean had us set up at his longest shooting position and make a range card of the targets up the hill. We worked the problem quickly and engaged the targets rapidly, knocking down all 6 targets with 8 rounds. Sean was so excited he had us run the drill again, which we did but required a few more rounds.

1030-1130 hours: back to HVT and Grassy Knoll
    We moved back to the Grassy Knoll and again ran the drill of standing behind the knoll with tripod, then moving up to top of knoll. This time, carbine gunner had to engage the 8” poppers at 475-500yds from tripod-supported standing. We did this drill twice and cut our time vs Day One in half.

1130-1230 hours: back to Target Detection
    Next Sean moved us back to the Target Detection drill. Of course, we now knew location and range of the targets, so Sean had us work on engagement speed. Carbine handled all targets out to 500 and precision did those out further. Our engagement speed picked up considerably as did our hit percentage.

1230-1300 hours: Lunch
    This time, we dropped the MREs and enjoyed Dave’s BBQ cooking – much better than Day One!

1300-1600 hours: Assault Lanes
    Assault Lanes are used in the military to allow troops to practice fire and maneuver drills in a safe manner. Movement is controlled by a series of markers and lines that channel all personnel out of surface danger zones.

In passing, I mentioned to Sean our interest in training on a small lane with him. And WOW, did Sean hit a homerun with this training. He set up two of the longest lanes I have run with dozens of targets for all three firearms. The layout was brilliant and illustrated Sean’s experience and training creativity. It also says a lot about the quality of VTT’s training facility in Saxton PA. As a result, this was some of the best tactical training I have ever conducted.

The basic plan was that my partner and I would assault up the VTT training facility, starting with long-range targets for the carbine and precision rifle, and up through real world obstacles and fields. This led us onto a wooded trail where we engaged carbine and sidearm targets. Up through the woods, we again encountered another field of long-range targets. Sean had two lanes set up, one on the left trail and the second to the right, both with distinct targets. Each lane required about 700 to 800 yards of movement and gained 250 vertical feet.

Below is a photo of us engaging long-range targets from the first Firing Position (FP), which featured 4 steel targets, including a nasty spinner that was 3-4” circle at roughly 250 yds. After the carbine cleared all targets the precision rifle would engage the same targets.

VaporTrail035.jpg

A complete description of the FPs is pages long, but to summarizes: we shot on and moved thru the following terrain types: dirt piles, water obstacles, firewood stack, a pile of long wooden poles, vehicles, open fields, wheat fields, under trees/brush, drain pipes, tractor trail beds, fallen trees, prickle brushes, rock piles, and a bunch more natural terrain. Most movement was double-time, although some of the trails required patrol movement to identify targets.

The toughest target was two 8” steel lollipops at roughly 450 yards that we could not get a good laser reading on. Shot of the day was a hit on a ground hog as it ran across the field in front of a steel target at 250 yards. Sean yelled “GROUND HOG – HIT HIM!” Without thinking, I zapped the little critter with a 70gr Berger and went back to engaging steel.

Here is photo of the team after we ran the second lane, in front of a pile of wooden poles that we had to shot over and around with carbine and precision:

VaporTrail037.jpg

1600 hours: End of training.

V. CONCLUSION
    ------------------------

The training we received from Sean at VTT was absolutely first class. The Saxton PA range rivals any range we have shot at, and we can say the same thing about their support facilities (bed, shower, kitchen, BBQ, good company). Through a wide variety of training drills and weapons systems, Sean’s instruction greatly improved the operational capabilities of our team, especially in the area of speed. Going into the training, we knew Sean was a world-class shooter; we now know he is also a world-class instructor.

The lanes Sean set up desired to be called out again as excellent training experience. They are unique to the Mid-Atlantic region and beyond. As more shooters find out about this training, I’m sure VTT will be in high demand.

Thanks Sean – Bravo Zulu!

Wingnut

Member me?
    Sep 29, 2010
    Easton, MD
    Dammit James! It's taken me all spring to save up for my three days with Ed, now I gotta save up for this too?!

Hey man great post and glad you had a good time. Good luck to you and your team for your upcoming competition.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    How much prior experience did you have?

I was an infantryman in the US Army 15+yrs back.
    I got back into rifles about 2 years ago when a buddy left Army and decided we should get carbines.
    Since then I have taken a long range class with Ed Shell, done about 15 tactical matches. I know all the fundamentals of reloading, long-range precision but an always not 100% at applying them.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    What optic are you running on the AR?

US Optics, 1.8-10x 37x Slimline with a Scale 1 MOA rectile in it.

Its not the perfect optic as it does neither spotting for my partner at 1000+yds very well, nor does it do CQB as fast as a red dot. It also is a tad on the heavy side given the amount of movement the match will require. But it is OK at everything which is basically what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom