• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    Springfield Armory makes a fine product. Do they sell individual parts?

Wilson Combat is good stuff too. You'll go blind looking at all of their 1911 goodies.

A quick search showed Brownells does sell individual parts, from Springfield armory, so I imagine they shouldn't be too hard to find elsewhere also.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    The barrel is a High Standard about right for that era but not sure since I am not consulting a manual right now. Is there a 7 digit number stamped on the barrel hood/chamber, 770xxxx? A brass or welded bump on the left rear of the slide port to bear against the barrel hood extension? Grips originally Herrett’s as mentioned. A highly functional grip fills the hand right but appearance is a turnoff for some. A couple of stop stop scratches.

It would be nice to look inside the pistol and see what is going on. It seems the slide may have been squeezed before being sanded but not certain. A nice, interesting pistol. I was looking at similar type pistol earlier this week. A parts gun of consisting of cast off parts from military armory target guns but too bad. Wasn’t parts matched, couple bugs in it, had to pass for the price.

No 7-digit number anywhere on the barrel. Just the HS and P.

I don't see any brass bump in the slide. But there is a wavy pattern on the ejection port.

By looking more into the gun, you mean knocking out the pins in the frame and removing the hammer and metal bits on the rear of the grip? Are those pins reusable?

What should I look for to tell whether the slide has been squeezed? I don't see any signs, but then again, this isn't something I am very experienced in.

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpg
      IMG_9016.jpg
      41.3 KB · Views: 138
    • IMG_9017.jpg
      IMG_9017.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 158
    • IMG_9020.jpg
      IMG_9020.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 141

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Typically, if you turn the slide upside down and view the rails from the end you will see them bow out slide as the approach the spring tunnel. Sometimes you can see the rail tipped in at the bottom when viewed from the side and rear. It was how the left side of the slide polished out which had me wondering if it was squeezed. The bit of brass metal on the rear left of the port stablized the standard barrel for improved accuracy.

Taking it apart may reveal typical upgrades/improvements or something different like on Jim Clark, Sr. pistol.

Jul 1, 2012
    There's some weird shyte going on with the firing pin, it's offset and sticking out from the chamber face in a couple of pics (no spring? wrong pin?)

<edit> maybe that's a burr or blob-o-something on the chamber face?
    either way bad juju

If there weren't enough red flags already, that would be enough to get it to a knowledgeable 1911 doctor.

And yes you can reuse all the frame pins. They aren't interference fit.
    Except the ejector and you don't want to pop that off anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_9016.jpg
      IMG_9016.jpg
      3.5 KB · Views: 121
    • IMG_9017.jpg
      IMG_9017.jpg
      4.2 KB · Views: 122
    • IMG_9020.jpg
      IMG_9020.jpg
      4.7 KB · Views: 131

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Frame is marked with "z" and "g" on the right side of the trigger guard, "7" on the left side. "P" next to the magazine release.

Barrel is marked "P" (left side) and "HS" (right).

Slide has a "P" on top by the rear sight, no other marks.

Any rough estimates as to what its going to cost me to have a gunsmith look at it to make sure its safe to shoot? Is it worthwhile to keep as a .45 shooter?

If I punch out the pins to look deeper into the parts, are they reusable when I reassemble the gun?

Any significance of the circular stamp/mark on the top area of the frame?

The circular stamp is the Ordnance Department crossed cannons mark. I believe it was put on a variety of USGI firearms until about 1953. Many of them were not struck evenly so it would not be unusual to have an incomplete, lightly struck mark.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    There's some weird shyte going on with the firing pin, it's offset and sticking out from the chamber face in a couple of pics (no spring? wrong pin?)

<edit> maybe that's a burr or blob-o-something on the chamber face?
    either way bad juju

If there weren't enough red flags already, that would be enough to get it to a knowledgeable 1911 doctor.

And yes you can reuse all the frame pins. They aren't interference fit.
    Except the ejector and you don't want to pop that off anyway.

It is a shiny blob of something. The pin is well inside its housing.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Looks like a bushing may have been installed in the breechface also. I forgot to mention it before. Not a bad thing, looks like it has centered the firing pin. Some of the older slides eventually needed this.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    I see the bushing now that you mention it. How long does it take for a gunsmith to do a checkup on a pistol/revolver? I have several that I suppose should be checked so if there is a minimum of 1 hour labor, how many guns could I have checked to fill up the hour? And any recommendations in the silver spring area?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Someone familiar with a 1911 can give it a good check over in 30-45 minutes, including the barrel timing checks. An inspection shouldn't be rushed. Look at the pic of the locking lugs in the slide and you will see the forward corners are being scraped and rounded. Very likely there is, or was, a barrel timing issue.

You have several guns or several 1911’s to be checked? I am not familiar with gunsmiths nor 1911 smiths in the Silver Spring area.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    I have several different guns. All are no younger than 1980. Some are like new, some would warrant a quick sanity check if its not too cost prohibitive.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    You might want to pick up the Kuhnhousen books on 1911s. Not cheap, but worth it. I have a 43 Ithaca that had undergone sort of similar treatment. I was able to sort mine out with little trouble. The "Micro" rear sight was used on some NM guns so was a popular upgrade.

gslenk

Mar 24, 2018
    You might want to pick up the Kuhnhousen books on 1911s. Not cheap, but worth it. I have a 43 Ithaca that had undergone sort of similar treatment. I was able to sort mine out with little trouble. The "Micro" rear sight was used on some NM guns so was a popular upgrade.

Wow, that book has a ton of info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom