• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kelsb21

Jul 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    So I'm new to guns in general... I've taken two classes (first being Women on Target) and decided I like it enough that I'm definitely interested in the competition side of things.

So far I have liked the Glock 34 and STI Spartan 1911 (both 9mm) a lot. However, since I'm so new to the "gun world" - I'm a little nervous to buy without opinions of people who actually have experience with the guns. I know that ultimately it's what I like the best. I haven't been able to find a lot online about the STI especially, though... and I'm definitely one that likes to research.

Anyone care to share their opinions? I'm open to new options to look at, as well.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Glock, S&W M&P Pro Series, Springfield all make competition focused guns. All of them are good guns from quality manufacturers that should serve you well. Different people will have different preferences between these guns, but they should all serve you well as an introductory weapon.

Some people will surely differ on this - but my recommendation is not to start with a 1911. Two reasons: (1) A 1911 that is good enough to compete with is a lot more expensive than any of the options above; (2) you will be able to buy a 1911 after October 1 if you ultimately decide you want one - the guns above all come with magazines that hold over 10 rounds - they are about to become difficult to obtain in MD because of changes in the law.

Personally, I am partial to the XDm from Springfield, because I'm a lefty and like all the ambi. features of the XDm.

9mm is good to start out with because it is (1) the cheapest ammo to shoot, meaning you can shoot more often; and (2) it tends to be softer shooting with less recoil than some of the heavier calibers, which makes it easier for beginners to get the hang of. As you probably already know, longer barrel length = longer sight radius = easier to be accurate. The smaller and lighter the gun, generally the more difficult it is to shoot accurately. Also, the heavier a gun is, the more inertia the recoil has to overcome - so generally a heavier gun is also a softer shooting gun than a lighter version of the same gun.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    It is hard to find anything about STI, I agree. I think it is because they are kind of a custom shop and they are expensive. They sure are beautiful though.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I am a Glock person, G34 is fantastic right out of box. With basic competition ready mod for sights and trigger touch up, a good full running G34 will be less than 1k. Or just shoot match with it stock, and add on as you go.

I came across a STI 9mm last winter. Loaner from a fellow shooter. I was very frustrate in a steel match, embarrassing myself and wasting ammo on a all-steel-must-fall string with my G17. He passed over the STI and let me play with it. I went on shot the string without a single miss. I even did a few double tab on small steel I could't hit earlier.

I ran with standard walmart Fed 115gr, and the ammo he was using was the light load 124gr barely meet the power factor - but that's my excuse, it is a better gun, and I am a lesser trained shooter.

Anyways, the guy was kind enough to tell me he shoots major competition, and he spend about 5k fine tuning the STI to run the way it is.

With enough practice and right training, I believe I can perform in that level. But a good 5k tool will get your there quicker.

If money is not an issue, definitely go for the STI. Personally I enjoy practice and training, and 5k can pay for a lot of it with my very affordable Glock.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO kelsb21

I would recommend that you absorb any info you can get here, but, you will get a lot of biased opinions on what OTHERS like. Google reviews on each pistol, but, more importantly, go to different gun ranges ( indoor ) but call first, and rent each one, and others to get the ACTUALL FEEL of how they shoot. That is going to be the best indicator in my opinion, for what ever that is worth..hahahahahaha but it is the MOST objective.

You can also go to a FORUM on just about ANY pistol make out there. Go to a Glock forum and either a STI or a 1911 forum also. Membership is free on all of them, and you can get more info, and possibly a used or new one too for sale, but good info at least.

kelsb21

Jul 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Hm.. so right now I'm at "forget it, just buy both". Haha. I didn't realize the glocks were going to be hard to come by after Oct. 1, though. Figures... I'm not quite caught up on all the new laws that are coming. I did shoot a customized Glock 34 and I absolutely loved it. I shot an STI 1911 45 and loved it too (minus the fact that it's too much power for me, for right now). That's why I'm having the dilemma. I'll look for some specific forums, as well.

I'll definitely take a look at the recommended Springfields.

Thanks for all the insight!

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Among the more important things for competitive shooting in action pistol type events (IDPA, USPSA) is in being able to quickly reload the gun. Pay specific attention to how much you have to shift the gun in your hand (if at all) to actuate the magazine release with your strong hand thumb. If your hands are smaller, the Glock 34 Gen4 may be better for this purpose. Also consider the Smith&Wesson M&P pro 9 with the small backstrap grip for the same reason. There are slimmed and modified grips for the 1911 that make the reach for the magazine release easier. I've not tried all of those grips available, but I wouldn't trade my M&P for a 1911 with any of the grips I've tried.
    Good luck with your choice.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I own an STI Spartan V - good quality - good reliable shooter but I would not consider it a "competition" handgun.

The Spartan series is the lowest series of STI($700 range). STI Competition series is in the $2K+ range. Go to STI website and forum - lots of accurate info.

If you are price sensitive I would recommend Glock G34 - great out of the box and easy to make modifications to later for competition shooting.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I own both a 1911 and a glock and both are loved but in different ways. Each have their positives and very loyal owners. I don't see how you could go wrong with either unless you went with a subcompact 45 in which case you would have your hands full and probably be uncomfortable.

Shooters discount has some 1911s as well as used glocks, sigs and m&ps he might be a good place to go and look at things. If you loved the 34/35 the glock 17/22s lou has in stock could be a great fit.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm a Glock guy so I'd go with the 34. That being said, I rented a SA XD(M) 5.25 and it was nice. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I forgot to mention I also oen an xd and I feel like its a bit of a combo of the two. Like it a lot and shoot better with it than any other pistol we own.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    absolutely won't go wrong with a glock 17 or 34. definitely the most-used brand in idpa and uspsa production divisions, though M&P, xdm, etc are gaining share. tons of available, affordable, aftermarket accessories (sights, mags, holsters, mag holders, etc). pretty much 100% reliable out of the box.

do try the 17. i thought the 34 was the bees knees but have been using and liking my g17 lately. seems to point and come out of the holster a little quicker. plus a little more concealable if that is an option (is for me as VA resident).

sti is a great brand, a little more higher-end (eg expensive). you will see them more in the limited and open divisions. frankly, the 1911's and 2011's are generally more finicky than glocks, and check out prices on STI mags and accessories.

glock is perfect starter gun and it is also a perfect forever gun. you can beat the crap out of it, not clean it, don't have to 'tune' magazines, extractors, etc for it to be accurate and reliable. get that first and when you want to step up to limited and open divisions, then look at sti and their competition.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    i'd suggest making a trip up to MSAR (or any other indoor range that rents guns) and renting the glock 17, 19 & 34 and compare side-by-side. my daughter prefers the smaller glock 19 (she has small hands), but has used my glock 17 in competition. i like the glock 17 (9mm) over my glock 35 (40 cal) even with the 9mm conversion barrel installed.

also rent the XDm & S&W M&P both in 9mm to see how they compares to whichever glock you liked from above.

by the end of the day, you'll have your answer of which one felt best in your hand, which one you can control and which aimed/shot the best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom